Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:21:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[Today at 11:06:44 AM]

[Today at 11:05:23 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hello & Thank you.  (Read 2371 times)

Kiaikai

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I just signed up and wanted to say howzit to the crew here.

It was a long time ago but I used to work on charter boats and guided Kayak tours in Hawaii. I’ve been in the Bay Area for about 9 years now after a tourist girl lured me out here.

I have always been into fishing, but the water here is so different, call me stubborn but it has taken some adjustment. I have done it several times, but free diving in freezing murky water just isn’t my thing. It was drilled into me as a kid to not surf or dive in murky water. This Yak fishing thing looks like fun though.

I was pretty amped until I read the GWS thread; sarcastic thanks on that one.  I was heavily into free diving and spear fishing in Hawaii, and had plenty of experiences with sharks including the main tax man over there the tiger shark. But as much as I try to tell myself it is no different the Whites still vibe me out.  At least a tiger will usually stalk you and let you know that it is there so that you can figure out how to deal with it when it makes a run or starts getting agitated.

Anyway, I just found this site and wanted really say thank you for all of the useful info. I sold my bigger boat a few years back and have been looking for the best all around portable solution.  I am leaning towards Malibu Stealth 14 and plan on using it for fly fishing & live baiting sierra lakes, and for rock fish/hali trips.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Welcome welcome!
Don't let a shark vibe you out of a good spot. (because they're lurking at the crappy spots too)
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
I'm honestly more worried about sealions then GWS.  :smt010

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Welcome aboard, Kiaikai.   :smt006
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

HDRich

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Welcome aboard Kiaikai!!!!

Are you in the bay area?

I liked the features of the Stealth 14, but the weight (64lbs) was a bit too much for me...

There are sharky areas and less sharky areas, don't let that keep you out of the water.

Rich

Kiaikai

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

Ha, I didn't mean to go off on a shark tangent.  I have had more experiences with eels getting pissed off at me for being in "their" holes stealing "their" bugs, fish, or tako than getting bum rushed by big a tiger after my stringer.

Yes, I currently live in the East Bay and planned on launching at places like Fort Baker for bottom fishing. Once I have the boat it would be nice to learn the cold water ropes from some of the experts.

The deck layout of the stealth looked perfect, and the boat itself just looked solid. I don't plan in going down and goat trails so the weight of the boat wasn't as big a factor as the weight of myself and my gear.

HDRich

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
You're right about the deck layout, it is very usable, and with the 33" beam, its also very stable.

Rich

stoggie

• Salmon
  • Team Mooch Patrol
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
I don't worry about the sharks, they need to eat too.

Sharks in the area mean there's food in the area as well, so they better have their game on if they are gonna take my fish tacos away from me.

Of course that big talk is because I haven't seen one yet since I started fishing here. Someday I will get a rude awakening, but never think about it while on the water.

Welcome to the madness, let's get out there.

Stoggie

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Welcome!
 Yeah, the central coast sure isn't Hawaii in regards to water temp. There's a reason one of the big names in wetsuit design is located here, with water from 49-55 degrees most of the year.

In regards to kayaks, I think 64lbs is pretty heavy for an unloaded boat, but I do like the deck of the stealth. Everyone has their favs, so if you paddle it & like it, more power to ya. Get on it & get out there!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Weighs less than a Trident, right?
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Kiaikai

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

Sharks in the area mean there's food in the area as well,

Classic, that is what my grandfather told me the 1st time I saw one when diving. I was about to crack a fish and it started acting really erratically. I turned around and small 3-4 foot white tip was on point waiting to dart in to snake my fish. When I shot to the surface he told me to go back down and shoot the fish...the shark just meant that there was good fishing.

Yeah she is a heavy boat, good work out. I can't wait to try standing up sight fishing dry flies to trout on with it though.

anything