Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Stealth ProFisha 475 With Outrigger?  (Read 4786 times)

Piscis

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
On another thread BMB 2.0 suggested it might be possible to put an outrigger on a Stealth ProFisha like those on the Huki.com racing canoe/kayak's.

I've been considering an AI primarily for the stability I'd get by using one Ama, but I'm not really thrilled with all the other stuff that I have to pay for and carry by going that route.  My ideal kayak is lightweight fiberglass or composite, SOT, no pedals, with a single Ama/outrigger.  Looking for ease of transport, speed and stability for open ocean waters.  Anyone out there in the industry who might know how to make this happen?

I was at CCK the other day and saw a SIK that weighed in at ~30#.  It was in vertical position...I put my hand inside and pushed up a little, and it lifted straight up with no effort.  Lightweight is good.   :smt001
Pronounced "Piss-Kiss", Fish in Latin
Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Yellow

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Have you checked out the Eddyline Caribbean 12 and 14?
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Google search "OC1" They are huge in the rest of the world just not so much in California. I'm sure We could do a Yakattack rail with a FF and rod holder on one. look up the Epic V6 too. PS like Vwool suggested, I can pick up a Caribbean 14 and carry it over my head, they are light weight and more importantly, balanced.

Piscis

• Salmon
  • View Profile
The OC1 and Epic V6 look really interesting, but neither one seem to have fishing in mind at all.  Wonder if an ama from one of these OC manufacturers could be fitted to a Caribbean 14.  I saw the Caribbean at Clavey, seems to be an improvement on weight, but no ama.

Thanks for all the Google search terms, I never knew the outrigger canoe existed in this modern day context.

vwool

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
What is your reason for ama?
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
They defiantly don't have fishing in mind, but if your a good enough paddler I think you can fish off anything. I've been kicking around the idea of a touring kayak to get me to distant water to flyfish. That's still kayak fishing right?
If you get a fiberglass kayak I'm sure the AMA or iakos mounts could be glassed in. Huki is down in SoCal, so is Valhalla surf skis.
Check out this page
http://www.funhogs1.com/tag/oc-1/
He's built a mini oc1 for his kids. About half way down he talks about the mounts and has pics of them.

Piscis

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Stability.  That's why many use the AI at HMB.

vwool

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Stability.  That's why many use the AI at HMB.

The Eddylines are already stable I wouldn't worry about adding an ama.
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
They defiantly don't have fishing in mind, but if your a good enough paddler I think you can fish off anything. I've been kicking around the idea of a touring kayak to get me to distant water to flyfish. That's still kayak fishing right?
If you get a fiberglass kayak I'm sure the AMA or iakos mounts could be glassed in. Huki is down in SoCal, so is Valhalla surf skis.
Check out this page
http://www.funhogs1.com/tag/oc-1/
He's built a mini oc1 for his kids. About half way down he talks about the mounts and has pics of them.

Why a touring kayak instead of the Stealth? Its nearly as fast and light, and dialed for fishing.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
The only good reason to put an outrigger on a Stealth would be to mount a barbecue

They're way more stable than they look

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
The only good reason to put an outrigger on a Stealth would be to mount a barbecue

yeah, I have to admit that the one I paddled briefly at GS8 was more stable than I expected.

I've always wondered why we don't see any single outrigger canoes rigged for fishing, since I see them OTW out of the harbor all the time.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

yeah, I have to admit that the one I paddled briefly at GS8 was more stable than I expected.

I've always wondered why we don't see any single outrigger canoes rigged for fishing, since I see them OTW out of the harbor all the time.

I thought the same thing.  Some of them could be a 6-pack "charter"

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
One of my coworkers races OCs and I would've bought one but the 575 hit my radar screen

I was already talking w a local kayak designer/racer about a long sleek glass sot, Stealth saved us the trouble