Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:41:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Newbie from Santa Cruz  (Read 985 times)

BrianSC

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Hi everyone! I've been researching kayak fishing for a while and this forum has been an amazing help. I live in Santa Cruz and have surfed, but never fished in the bay. I had no idea people even fished from kayaks here until a few months ago. I've always loved freshwater fishing, but being able to combine my love of being out in the bay with my love of fishing has me excited.

I haven't purchased anything yet, but I'm going to take some classes and rent a few times before I do. I'm thinking Monterey Bay Kayaks would be a good place for that?

charlesthe2nd

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Welcome Brian!  I'm relatively new to this forum as well.  You've stumbled into a great place for most if not all things kayak fishing.  These are a great bunch of guys, and while I've not had the chance to personally meet a lot of them, they all seem decent enough!   :smt003  There's lots of information to soak up here, you'll learn most of what you need to know about fishing if you browse around enough. 

It's a great idea to test ride some kayaks to see what you like and what feels best.  It's worth browsing the safety first thread to get an idea of what you'll need.  If you'd like to stay local Kayak connection here in Santa Cruz rents kayaks out, as well as carrying a lot of kayak and fishing accessories. 

Hope to see you on the water soon!
"No man steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."  -Heraclitus

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Welcome to the madness. I fish out of SC pretty often---look forward to seeing you out there.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
If you are in Santa Cruz, check out the Kayak Connection.  Both KC and MBK are great shops!  Come down and join us for the fishing derby next weekend....I can loan you gear (anything you need) and we'll get someone entered in the derby to take you under wing...

I am the weighmaster and co-sponsor, so I won't be fishing in the derby or I'd take you out myself.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

OnTheReel

• Salmon
  • Father, Angler, Adventure Seeker
  • View Profile On The Reel Apparel / Gear
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
^^^ This.. But you have to be up for a paddle!! ;) you are more then welcome to follow me to a few "honey holes" would love to show you how amazing SC is from the view of a yak! Allen.. You the man! I need a PFD btw do you have any extras you might want to sell / trade some beers for?

You live in a place surrounded by awesome kayak fishing Brian, names Austin look forward towards seeing you out there some day! (Kayak Connection is the place to go).. Being considered a newbie to the group, I am pretty experienced with the local fishery(ies).. Would love to go out sometime!

Bushy, I usually bleed my fish out if I keep them, are you going to add a pound on for me at weigh in?  :smt003
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:30:57 PM by RippinLips »
- Austin - IG: on_the_reel_831

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
^^^ This.. But you have to be up for a paddle!! ;) you are more then welcome to follow me to a few "honey holes" would love to show you how amazing SC is from the view of a yak! Allen.. You the man! I need a PFD btw do you have any extras you might want to sell / trade some beers for?

You live in a place surrounded by awesome kayak fishing Brian, names Austin look forward towards seeing you out there some day! (Kayak Connection is the place to go).. Being considered a newbie to the group, I am pretty experienced with the local fishery(ies).. Would love to go out sometime!

Bushy, I usually bleed my fish out if I keep them, are you going to add a pound on for me at weigh in?  :smt003

Sure I can find a pfd for you.  Might be stinky, slimy and grimy from fish blood, procure scents, and CorrosionX overspray haha.  But at least it will be cheap.  As far as adding weight for bleeding?  Just stuff a few 8oz sinkers down the gullet, I'm sure none of the other contestants will mind (not).  PM me your Phone# lets figure a good time this week. 

Brian SC you are getting a great offer of set up here....and a guide for derby day.  Pm me with your phone # and we'll make it happen.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

BrianSC

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Wow, thanks for the advice and offer! I have a few things planned for next weekend, but if I can move them around I'll let you know and definitely take you up on it. I looked at Kayak Connection's website and they seem to have some great classes. I'll be checking out both in the next few weeks. Thanks again for all the help, and I look forward to meeting you all.

YakColumbo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Welcome and have a great time!
Jim

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome to NCKA Brian  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

anything