Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:34:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 04:06:09 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: What's Your Heritage? ... Where Ya From?  (Read 11653 times)

Fish Flogger

• Wishin' I was Fishin'
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
I'm a born and raised Santa Cruzian but my Mother a euro mutt and my Father is from Puerto Rico. I identify more with my fathers side of the family but rarely see them as they are all on the east coast. Mother grew up in Utah and my Father grew up in Phillie. They moved out here when Mom got preggers and decided there was no way in hell she was going to raise a child in Phillie. She told my Dad she was moving to California and he could come if he wanted to  :smt005

They caravan-ed out here with a bunch of hippies, driving a meglamesh of VW vehicles and broke down in Santa Cruz where they were visiting some friends. They were stuck for 2 weeks waiting for parts so they got a chance to see the awesomeness that is SC. Once they got the Carmengia fixed they were on their way out of town and got as far as the Hwy 1 on ramp before they turned around and decided SC was the place for them. I was born up Old San Jose Rd in a log cabin on Webb's Farm. Gotta love those children of the 60's....peace, love and granola ya'll!!  :smt007 :smt007

-FF
-FF

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
100% dutch blood, both parents from the Netherlands.  Born south of the US border (one mile south) :smt012-----(south of Detroit, Michigan) :smt012  Yuup - A Canuck. :smt003  Emigrated to the US and became naturalized. :smt044  Irish last name as no one could say or spell my original Dutch last name (changed before coming to US)
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
100% Russian My Great grand Father was a Priest and was sent to the US by the Church he had a Greek Orthodox Church for many years in Berkley he was pretty high up and I remember his funeral was huge he laid in state for a couple of weeks.

My Fathers father was a General for the White Russian Army fighting in WWI and the Russian revaluation. He was the Last white Russian General. After he was pushed out of Russia he spent a few years in Harbin China where he was treated like a King he escaped with Millions of Rubles but because of the change in Gov it was worthless.

Here is a crappy link to an interview

http://www.archive.org/stream/lastwhitegeneral00moltrich/lastwhitegeneral00moltrich_djvu.txt

Oh and he has one of the Oldest Videos on U-Tube that's him at 3:13

Most of the Books about him are in Russian and there is a Museum on his Regiment in Russia My Dad was born during the Revolution and came to the US when he was about 4.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

bloodbath

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Chamorro/ Vietnamese :smt004

Alot of good food in both kitchens!
2011 Albion Open 1st place
2014 Lowrance Rockfish Classic 1st place
Kayaks are cool!

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I was born in s.f. and raised in oakland. Most my ancestors are from Norway with a little german and english.

Caliyak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
100% American with Mexican parts. My father is from San Benito nuevo Leon Mexico. My great grandfather was the towns richest farmer, teacher, leader and pimp. My grandfather came to America as a brazero, farm worker. My mom is from Matamoros in Mexico. My maternal grandmother is Mexican indian, my great grandfather ran with Pancho Villa. We have a pic of Pancho Villa and my family together.
My last name is Cantu and there is a town in italy named Cantu. Also, there are a lot in Spain too.
LC - RIP C.V.K.
WS Tarpon 100

Moose

• Salmon
  • "life must be lived as play" [Plato]
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
HAPA!!! 3/4 Hawaiian :surf :sign7:, Part American native, part Haole And Proud of it.
My Dad always said, "You gotta be tough if you're gonna be dumb"!

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Quote from: LilRiverMan
Her father's side was interned at Topaz Lake Relocation Center, although he was already in the Army, just out of bootcamp, when WWII broke out.

My grandfather on mom's side helped build the Topaz internment camp - they lived in AZ before the war. I remember him telling a story of watching a guy dropped dead from a rattlesnake bite. The guy freaked out & ran after getting bit so it pumped the venom through his body and killed him.

WWII is what brought them to the Bay Area. He was a welder in the Oakland ship yards and they stayed after the war.

Quote from: Fish Flogger
They caravan-ed out here with a bunch of hippies, driving a meglamesh of VW vehicles and broke down in Santa Cruz where they were visiting some friends. They were stuck for 2 weeks waiting for parts so they got a chance to see the awesomeness that is SC. Once they got the Carmengia fixed they were on their way out of town and got as far as the Hwy 1 on ramp before they turned around and decided SC was the place for them. I was born up Old San Jose Rd in a log cabin on Webb's Farm.

Great story.  :smt004
Catch & Repeat

vin60

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Filipino/chinese/with a hint of spanish. Born in the Philippines raised here since i was 2. Only famous person im related to is a director in the PI. Laurenti Dyogi. Never met him but hes my second cousin. Other than that just a geek who loves to fish

Vin
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 (2012)

"Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." Sun Tzu

Rob

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I was Born and raised in Monterey. Grandparents are from Sicily.
Rob

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Name: Darius Ocampo Noriega
Born and raised in the Philippines, Luzon area Pampanga, I was told my great great grandfather was a Panamanian/Castilla, there are only few Noriega's in the Philippines and believed or not 80% are related..my Grandfather was a Garan carrier in WWII known as Philippine Scout, he is one of the leader in luzon chapter for HUKBALAHAP (Army against japanese) buries Makapili (mole, traitor) alive after they dig their own grave, he survived the WWII but died after taking down 4 Jeepney high jackers when they killed one of the passengers, he died from a wound and never recovered from it...

This is awesome thread....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:04:43 PM by Darius »
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

CappyMoMo.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Mom is Dressler and Minton from New Jersey.

Dad is Wilson and Morgan from Cali.

Pretty much sounds Welsh, English, and German.  I think my great grandmother  on my dad's side was Mexican. 

Coolest family rumor is my great grandfather, a Fire Chief in new Jersey responded with his company to the Hindenburg.

Eric Morgan
Trident Ultra 4.7
Not the guy selling the Outback
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.plantfertility.com
Trident Ultra 4.7
Morgan Consulting LLC Agronomy Pro Staff
Hating the Seahawks and the Raiders cause they suck.

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
My background is honky. Born in SF

Dads side are Serbs-theres area in Serbia where all the males look like him. His side came to Midwest in early 1800s
Moms side are German and french-i actually have the coat of arms somewhere. Mums-gandma's grandma had the whole lineage in a bible that went back into the 1600s. Its in some safe deposit box somewhere. They came with the flood about 1900 or so. Grandpa ( Alfred William allen), was a bricklicker, but ended up doing all kinds of cool crap -heat shield on Gemini, what is now called "gorilla glass", ceramic coatings for airplane brakes, and rocket nozzles, and what looks very much like the osprey.
My step-mom's history is cool though-her great-something-dad left Germany in 1849, and arrived in SF in 1850, taking the water route! He and three friends went to the gold fields, made and lost fortunes...I have a half dozen letters he sent to his wife at the time. When she finally arrived, they settled in Auburn.

StephKillsit

• Sea Lion
  • Not yakin just yet but I still yak in other ways!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
My background is Filipino with Chinese, Spanish, and Syrian decent. My father tells me that we are related to Lima Hong a Chinese pirate that somehow ended up living in Pangasinan, Philippines. My grand uncle was in the Bataan Death March and became the driver of a Japanese General. I was born in San Francisco and raised in the East Bay most of my life.
2012 Hobie Revo 13
Intex Seahawk 2

Thank you all for your support!! I’m so glad to still be ALIVE!! Weather on land or water I LOVE YOU ALL!!

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
American for a few generations, so classic mutt.  Most interesting is maternal grandfather was Sami.  As mentioned in the wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people I know next to nothing about the culture.  His parents died when my grandfather was a child and he was raised by his brother.  They assimilated into a Swedish Lutheran community in the Modesto area.

The rest is English, Polish, Swedish and Alsatian.  And probably others.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

anything