Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:04:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: weedless Senko rigging  (Read 771 times)

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I love to use the Senko for bass. I rig it Carolina(?) style and slip the tip of the hook back into
the plastic to make it weedless. I pinch the barb down, but they still often take it with such
abandon that they get hooked in the throat. I manage to get the hook out w/o too much hassle
but hassle it still is. I don't like handling the fish so much. My question is, does anyone know
how to rig a circle hook weeless on a Senko? Any and all suggestions welcome.
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I meant Texas rigged, weightless. If it weren't for the throat hooking it would be perfect.

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
What kind of hook are you using now Juan?

FISHADOW

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Pusher of the Prowler. Watcher of the Wise.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
What kind of hook are you using now Juan?

I'm probably wrong, Think he is using a worm hook.
I like to have fun.......

LIVE LIFE!!!

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I don't know what the hook I'm using is called. It is a worm hook, wide gap, the hook point is parralel to the shank of the hook.

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Found a pic!

AnglingWes

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
That's an EWG (extra wide gap) worm hook, and is exactly what I use.  Don't usually have an issue with them getting hooked in the throat unless I let them munch on the senko for awhile. You may be not setting the hook soon enough. Usually, the strike on a senko is just a little tap and slight pressure on the rod tip.  Count to 2 after the tap, and set the hook.  If you wait until the bass starts swimming away, they probably swallowed the worm.

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
That's an EWG (extra wide gap) worm hook, and is exactly what I use.  Don't usually have an issue with them getting hooked in the throat unless I let them munch on the senko for awhile. You may be not setting the hook soon enough. Usually, the strike on a senko is just a little tap and slight pressure on the rod tip.  Count to 2 after the tap, and set the hook.  If you wait until the bass starts swimming away, they probably swallowed the worm.
+1 I think your letting the fish take it to long.i rig mine the same way and very very seldom or ever had it throat hooked.i normally set the hook when I feel the tap or see the line twitch.dont worry too much about missing the fish,cause if the fish is still there it'll hit the worm again
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I say keep slaying like you do Juan.   :thumright:

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Another reason for deep hooked fish could be too soft a rod (slow action). We get this question a lot at the store. Many anglers start fishing with minnows, than when they target bass, they try to make their bait rod work.
Remember,
When using artificials, the strike is quick and if the rod is too soft, it allows the fish to pull it completely into their throat. This is why most jig and worm rods are med heavy to heavy with a fast to extra fast tip.

See Ya Soon,
Eric / Yakhopper

Hobie Outback (dune)

pao

You can always opt to keep the hook embed inside the lure without penetrating through the lure to skin (hide) hook.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I agree, it's easy to accidentally throat-hook LMB when fishing Senkos. So your question about using circle hooks lead me down a path of research via Google.
Here's what Gary Yamamoto says:
Quote from: GaryYamamoto
“I think some people use too big of a hook because they are thinking the bigger hook they use the better chance they have of hooking the fish,” says Yamamoto. “That does work at times, but then sometimes with a bigger hook they lose the action of the bait on the fall, and half the time they lose the bait because it tears off.”
The lure designer believes smaller light-wire hooks increase the lure’s tail action and make the Senko last longer since the bait slides easier up the hook and onto the line while fighting a fish. Yamamoto also recommends rigging the Senko on a Yamamoto Split Shot Hook, a circle hook that embeds in a fish’s mouth by merely reeling after the bite.

More circle-hook Senko discussion: http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/fishing_tactics/message.html?message_id=141824
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

anything