Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:13:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Muir Beach Rock Fish.  (Read 2346 times)

M.A.S.HAT

• Sand Dab
  • I am a lineman for the county.
  • View Profile Marin Anglers Society
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I went out on my new Predator MX that I bought from sacyakattack today.  He's a great guy, gave me some extra rod holders and fish finder mounting stuff.  Also answered all of my nooby questions. 

I launched off of Muir Beach with a buddy and headed out to the rocks for some fish.  This was my first time on a fishing kayak and I have to say the difference is night and day.  I felt stable, comfortable and safe.  My previous outings were on a tandem Costco special that felt pretty sketchy.  No regrets with the Predator MX. 

The conditions were pretty foggy and cold, but the water was calm so the going was pretty easy.  Made it out to the rock and hooked up on the second cast.  I pulled out a couple of keeper Brown Rockies before heading around the corner where I caught my pb 29" ling about 2 months ago.  After about 10 casts I pulled a 10" Cabezon that I let go and turned back for the rock where I got those Rockies.  Once in position the bite was on again.  Pulled up several more Brown Rockies including a 15 incher that went on the stringer.  I also pulled up a fish that I have never seen before that was huge!!! It was orange/brown with that I'll call greenish leopard pattern on its skin.  Don't think it had scales, but I can't be sure because it spit the hook just as I got it up to the boat.  I have searched the internet for images of that fish and have come up with nothing.  I'm starting to think I dreamt it up.  I also pulled up a 16" Ling and another Cabby that both went back into the water. 

All said and done I kept three nice Rockies and my buddy had another five that he kept.  Great Monday, can't wait for next week, and the next outing. 

Here some pics of the catch:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I also pulled up a fish that I have never seen before that was huge!!! It was orange/brown with that I'll call greenish leopard pattern on its skin.  Don't think it had scales, but I can't be sure because it spit the hook just as I got it up to the boat.  I have searched the internet for images of that fish and have come up with nothing.  I'm starting to think I dreamt it up.
Maybe a Buffalo Sculpin?  I caught one in Marin once and it took some serious googling to figure out what it was.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
It was huge?  Leopard shark?
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Kashi410

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Glad it was a nice day. 29" Ling is a nice fish! congrats
Instagram:  kashi.410

M.A.S.HAT

• Sand Dab
  • I am a lineman for the county.
  • View Profile Marin Anglers Society
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I've poke poled a few of those buffalo sculpin. It was definitely not a Sculpin. 

When I say "huge!!!"  I mean 24-30".  I know that's not gigantic by most people's standards, but it's big for me.  The leopard pattern was very small and tight.  I'll figure out what it is eventually...

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I've poke poled a few of those buffalo sculpin. It was definitely not a Sculpin. 

When I say "huge!!!"  I mean 24-30".  I know that's not gigantic by most people's standards, but it's big for me.  The leopard pattern was very small and tight.  I'll figure out what it is eventually...

Good times! 
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile