Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:48:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:03:59 PM]

[Today at 12:02:48 PM]

[Today at 11:06:38 AM]

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 10:21:42 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Choosing a new kayak  (Read 3512 times)

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I am looking to add a new kayak to my fleet. I already understand that there are trade offs when picking the features you want. Like buying a vehicle, you can't get one that can haul 35,000 lbs, handle like a sports car and get the mileage of a compact hybrid. Sometimes you have to pick what's more important and forget the rest.

My original thought was to get a kayak with the ability for interior Rod storage in case I have to do a rough beach landing. I need a kayak that is not a lot heavier than my Tarpon 120 and it has to have a comfortable seat.

I took the new Tarpon 130X for a test ride today. I really liked how stable it was. However it doesn't have interior Rod storage. The improved stability over my 120 might be enough of a reason to get it anyways. It's 9 lbs heavier, not too bad. It's got a nice electric motor option, but at $2000 I doubt I'll ever be able to use that feature.

So I thought I'd look around at other similar sized kayaks and see what other choices I have. I'm guessing the other lawn chair seats are going to be as comfortable as the one in the 130X. I am assuming I'll need one similar in width to achieve the stability of the 130X. The only one I found is the Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game II. It weighs 2lbs less than the 130X is 2 inches wider and has internal Rod storage.

My question is about the trade offs between the features of these two kayaks. I figure I gain stability with extra width. What do I lose, glide? 2lbs lighter is easier to lift. Do I lose durability?

I'd love to hear any thoughts anyone might have about the pros and cons of the features of these two kayaks, especially if you own a Big Game II.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

naokiman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I've got both a WS and OK...  OK are lighter than similar sized WS because the hull material is thinner (at least that's the case with the two I have).  The OK is more prone to indentation than the WS.  You have to be much more careful with how you store it.  With that said though, I like my OK on the water.  I do have to baby it a bit more on land but that's a trade off I'm willing to live with to have a 14 foot kayak I can lift myself.

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
The Trident 13 in my opinion is very stable. It sits low in the water and paddles great. The older ones, not the new 2017 are fairly light. I had no issues getting it on top of my 4runner.

I have a Feelfree Moken 12.5 now. 72 lbs, very stable, paddles well.

I will be adding the new Trident 13 or 15 to the fleet as my salt boat this winter.

ALPINEX

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Probably some good prices out there on the '16 Trident series too with the new one just announced.
WS Thresher 140
Tarpon 160i
Hobie Adventure Island

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I do ok with the WS seats if I put a gel cushion on it. I also used the cushion on the lawn chair style and it felt really good. I don't think I'm going to be able to make it on a lesser seat. I was thinking 2 inches wider and 2 lbs lighter would make for a thinner plastic. I guess I'll have to figure out if it is enough to worry about on the Big Game 2.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
What is it you dont like about your current yak, that your hoping to find in a new one?  Sounds like stability from your other remarks.  Have you checked out the Santa Cruz Kayks G2 yet? 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Adam415

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I have been using the WS 155 for a few months now and love it. The storage is both in and out is awesome. Rods fit in the center hatch pretty easy. It paddles great and is super stable. The only downside is the weight. Its 84 pounds but thats the only downside I have found.
Wilderness Systems Radar 135
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtFJdtY1W9M4MGfoz4Ndb8A

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Yes the Big Game has internal rod storage, in case you need to stash your rods (as you mentioned) but it probably sucks in the surf and doesn't paddle well. I had an ~08 BG and it was difficult to paddle on the ocean. Just saying...if you're getting a kayak specifically to use on salt, you might as well get one that paddles well. With the lawn-chair option, it makes the equation a little trickier. Some of the Jackson kayaks might work, like the Cuda or Kraken. Without the seat option, I'd say the OK Trident & Ultra fit the bill. Also wanted to say that I used to stash my 7ft rods thru the angled center hatch of my T140...after removing the reels. Not sure if that would work on your T120 or not.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
What is it you dont like about your current yak, that your hoping to find in a new one?  Sounds like stability from your other remarks.  Have you checked out the Santa Cruz Kayks G2 yet?
I have a Tarpon 120 now and I have been thinking about a kayak that would allow me to store rods inside during surf landings. After testing the Tarpon 130X I am looking to match the stability it has. I've never been totally comfortable in my 120 on bumpy water. The 140 was not any more stable or maybe less stable than my 120. I really enjoyed the stability of the 130X. On the other hand I don't want to over do it. I don't need to stand up. At this point I'm leaning towards the Big Game 2 but a kayak called Battleship causes me a little concern.  :smt044

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yes the Big Game has internal rod storage, in case you need to stash your rods (as you mentioned) but it probably sucks in the surf and doesn't paddle well. I had an ~08 BG and it was difficult to paddle on the ocean. Just saying...if you're getting a kayak specifically to use on salt, you might as well get one that paddles well. With the lawn-chair option, it makes the equation a little trickier. Some of the Jackson kayaks might work, like the Cuda or Kraken. Without the seat option, I'd say the OK Trident & Ultra fit the bill. Also wanted to say that I used to stash my 7ft rods thru the angled center hatch of my T140...after removing the reels. Not sure if that would work on your T120 or not.

Yes I am thinking of a kayak for ocean use. I kept my leg hanging over the side all day Saturday to improve the stability of the Tarpon 140. After trying the 130X out in the cove I know I want more stability than I have with my 120. Unfortunately there is no perfect kayak. 13-14 ft, 70lbs or so, the right seat, Rod storage and wide enough to have good stability but not be a barge. Anyone paddle the Big Game 2? How is it?

ALPINEX

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Thresher 140 doesn't weigh too much more than 70lbs I don't believe. Internal rod storage, fast, and I stand up in mine to stretch. If you want to try one you're welcome to come pick mine up.
WS Thresher 140
Tarpon 160i
Hobie Adventure Island

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Viking Profish 400 Lite is under 60lbs. The Profish Reload is under 70.

Headwaters kayak is a Viking  dealer, I'm sure Dan will let you try one out.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thresher 140 doesn't weigh too much more than 70lbs I don't believe. Internal rod storage, fast, and I stand up in mine to stretch. If you want to try one you're welcome to come pick mine up.

75lbs is not as high as some. At 29 inches wide I'm amazed you could stand up, my 120 is 30.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

It is lite. It is also under 31 inches wide and has a traditional seat. I really liked the stability of the 130X at 32 inches. Great stability without being unnecessarily big. I was surprised at how much wider 2 inches seemed compared to mine. Maybe it seemed bigger because I spent the day before in the 28 inch Tarpon 140.

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile

It is lite. It is also under 31 inches wide and has a traditional seat. I really liked the stability of the 130X at 32 inches. Great stability without being unnecessarily big. I was surprised at how much wider 2 inches seemed compared to mine. Maybe it seemed bigger because I spent the day before in the 28 inch Tarpon 140.

I have found that wider does not always mean more stable. Boats that sit lower in the water like the Trident 13 tend to have excellent stability even at under 30" wide.

I'm  6'1 240 for reference, and neverfelt unstable on my Trident 13 and was able to stand in it with little trouble on calm water.

I actually had a Cuda 12 for a short while and found it unstable, atleast for a guy my size. It was 31" wide and I was much less comfortable in it.