Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:28:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:35:34 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 09:03:55 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New vessel and a parade of errors  (Read 2800 times)

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
What's up NCKA -

Well, after spending some time on the water last year in a commandeered Costco tandem kayak, I decided to splurge on a Revo 13.  The guys at Wind Toys really provided excellent service and really hooked me up with a sweet vessel, a 2017 dune (demo) Revo 13 for a great price and a superb package including a brand new MD180 drive, and upgraded turbo fins and sailing rudder.  I've been out on the water just twice now, and as Harrison Ford says in Star Wars VII, "it's true...all of it".  What an amazing ride - I was blown away with the speed, stability, straight line tracking, tight turning radius, and silky smoothness of the revo 13.  It's so easy to go far and fast!  Could not be more psyched to be riding this quad-powered Porsche on the water.  (For reference, because I know height/weight plays a factor in this, I'm 5'8" and 165lbs - I also bike regularly). 

But like that "guy" who buys the Ferrari out of the dealership and promptly crashes the car because of a heavy foot in second gear, I willfully report the "parade of errors" that have accompanied my first couple of outings and have a few questions for you Hobie captains and I hope to learn some of your jedi ways:

1. Surf launches: do you paddle or peddle?  My first attempt was comical.  I decided to peddle - I waded in, hopped in the boat and popped in the drive.  All good, smooth, except it was set in reverse (failed to check).  Also my rudder was "locked" with the bungee cord.  I was going backwards without direction, and while befuddled, got rolled.  ouch.  eventually, got in the boat and paddled my way to safety.  My second attempt, I just paddled - but I missed the speed of the peddles. 

2. Surf re-entry: again, do you paddle or peddle?  If you peddle (because from my surf days, I remember, you gotta get speed!), what's the order of things - do you pop out the drive or bungee one of the peddles, then put up the rudder?  When do yo do it?  On my one attempt at a surf landing, I timed the swells perfectly, and peddled almost to the sand without incident, but then while trying to pop the drive out (couldn't because it was hitting the sand apparently, got rolled by a tiny wave in 2-3' of water).  Sand everywhere. 

Thankfully, everything was leashed and i didn't lose anything.  I had my fishing pole fastened to where the paddle is stored.  I did break my net however when I got rolled in the sand.  Currently in the market for a new one - suggestions welcome! 

3. Fish finders - do you keep them on the boat at all times, or do you attach/detach with each outing?  Just wondering about corrosion of the terminals.

4. Batteries - I'm thinking of getting a gear bucket in the rear hatch.  I tried one DIY method and it kinda failed - the tupper where I had my battery stored cracked with the weight of the battery, probably on one of the inverted-negative-G rolls. 

5. Final Q for now - do you wash the inside of the hull after use too, especially if salt water gets in?

I think that's it for now, thanks for reading.  I appreciate your comments and I hope to see you on the water soon!  Here are a couple of pictures of the new boat.  Despite some of these tough lessons, the rest of the time on the water has been fantastic.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:04:35 PM by Sakana Seeker »
IG: @sakana_seeker

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Nice kayak! How much did they hook you up for it?

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Nice ride. I usualy secure the drive on deck and paddle out  then  drop the drive when clear of rocks, beach floor,  as not to scratch or damage drive hitting something.
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Beach, launch leash ur drive, paddle out pop it in when ur past the crest of the waves... landing pop it off or keep the pedals locked so the drives lays flat against the bottom of the hull. Rods I just strap them to the sides.

Fish finder I have a tote that I keep all my gear in regarding the kayak, drives , paddle, clip, fish gripper rod holders etc etc .. as far as battery  I hollowed out the center hatch gear tub and placed my battery in that . Easy to get to when it needs a recharge.

2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

scooter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Congrats on a sweet ride I have one and love it. I paddle out then drop in my pedals once I’m in a comfy spot. I also constantly forget to undo the bungee on my rudder too  but I usually always go out with someone so I have them unhook it. On the return I pop up my pedals and use my paddle for the last big push. I usually leave the rudder down I think it can kick up anyways or maybe pull the cord that locks it down. I don’t mind paddleing my revo you never know when you might have to resort to the paddle

The more you go the more you will get used to how everything works and it will become second nature. I go just often enough that I can’t ever remember how to lock my seat in

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Here's another style

2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I have a bungee attached to the drive and I have pad eyes on each side of the front hatch with a clips and a strap running between each.
Not only does it keep the hatch secure, I use it to slide my fins under when launching and landing in the surf.
If the surf is sketchy my FF and rods go inside the hull on both entry and exit. Much easier to find things that way in case you do a yard sale; unless of course you are made of money ten it doesn't matter.
I keep my battery and cables in a dry bag stashed inside the hull. Either clipped to a pad eye I installed or wedged between the side of the kayak and the yakgina.
I do wash the inside after a trip to the salt. Not so much after fresh water unless I stored fish inside.
<=>

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Here's another style

Dude, thanks for the serious stoke.  That video was awesome!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I put the battery inside the rear hatch. And I rarely wash the inside of the kayak—might wipe it dry with a towel but only really wash it out maybe 1x per year.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Revo's are not too responsive paddling in heavy surf.  It is what is and you just gotta used to it. 

2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Revo's are not too responsive paddling in heavy surf.  It is what is and you just gotta used to it.

Nice video!

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile

OMG.  First of all those waves are huge.  Second, the big balls on this dude.  I know that quote though, "oh f-ck me..."

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
1 and 2: Paddle for both. I tried to pedal on a landing once and got a ton of sand into my drive. I’ll never do that again. One tip is to make sure that you use your cassette plug when the drive is out. It makes the revo paddle much better and it’s a drier ride. And I’m paddling until I’m way outside the surf zone on the way out and I start paddling when I’m way outside the surf zone on my way in.

3: I always detach my FF. I clean my terminals as required. Always have spare fuses with your battery too. I use electrical tape to stick a few on my battery.

4: for my battery I took some of the larger sized pool noodle and cut it to a V on the bottom so it conforms to the front hull. Then I cut out a square to hold my battery box in. It is siliconed into the bow of the kayak in front of my front hatch liner. I did it this way for a few reasons. I can get to the front hatch while on the water in case I do something like forget to attach my battery or need to check a fuse. That won’t be an option in the rear hatch. Also it distributes the weight a little better. If everything is in the back of the yak it rides stern down and bow up. You won’t cut through the water as well this way.

5: I think I’ve rinsed the inside of my kayak maybe once a year. I don’t really worry about it.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
just wanted to report back - launched from Bolinas on Sunday around 7am and came back about 3pm - relatively big sets on the way back in.  Happy to report that paddling on launch and re-entry was the ticket - no rolls!  Small success.  Now I need to learn how to catch salmon :)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
just wanted to report back - launched from Bolinas on Sunday around 7am and came back about 3pm - relatively big sets on the way back in.  Happy to report that paddling on launch and re-entry was the ticket - no rolls!  Small success.  ...

That's no small success, it's a biggie.