Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:57:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:24:53 AM]

[Today at 07:23:39 AM]

[Today at 07:16:05 AM]

[Today at 07:13:27 AM]

[Today at 04:15:52 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fishing under Sail ?  (Read 2570 times)

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I was reading the thread about registering Hobie AI's and it reminded me of a fishing trip out of Monterey, on a friends sailboat, many years ago. From that experience I've always been under the impression that you can't fish / troll from a sailboat unless the motor is engaged. That a vessel has to be "powered" to troll for Salmon etc.   Is this true or just a bad recollection?
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

mdoka_matt

• Sea Lion
  • Its happening like Soledad
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
If this is true, an easy loop hole might be to claim you were peddling as well as sailing and thus "under power."
2010 T-13   Sand                    
2011 T-13   Yellow
2012 Hobie Adventure Dune

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
do you mean legally as in DFG ruules? or a simple "can it be done"
-Eric Berg

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I scanned the DFG book and didn't see any definition on trolling....let alone that it had to be under some sort of propulsion.
-Eric Berg

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
1. TROLLING is defined as angling from a boat or floating device that is making way by means of a source of power, other than drifting by means of the prevailing water current or weather conditions.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/oceansalmon.asp

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
1. TROLLING is defined as angling from a boat or floating device that is making way by means of a source of power, other than drifting by means of the prevailing water current or weather conditions.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/oceansalmon.asp

I knew it had to be there. So moral of the story...tap the pedals every so often!
-Eric Berg

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
drifting by means of the prevailing water current or weather conditions.
Isn't sailing - by means of weather conditions?

It's been a long time, but I thought the reason was motor noise.  A quite sailboat is less likely to scare fish and therefore gives some sort of unfair advantage. Other than old time pictures of Schooner fishing - a la Captain Courageous, I don't remember ever seeing commercial boats or sail powered sports boats fishing while under sail.  With the price of gas, and the thin margins commerical fishermen sometimes operate under, wouldn't it make more sense to sometimes fish under sail - if it were legal ?

Yep - tap the pedals.  Sail to the fishing grounds and take it from there
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:02:05 PM by LilRiverMan »

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
the lack of noise sure couldn't hurt. Chuck got his WSB while on the move a few months back
-Eric Berg

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
With the price of gas, and the thin margins commerical fishermen sometimes operate under, wouldn't it make more sense to sometimes fish under sail - if it were legal ?

Maneuverability, speed, speed adjustment, solo operation. stability in a beam sea.....you lose alot of that with a sailboat. Seems completely impractical.   

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
It's completely legal to fish while sailing.
The real quandry arises when targeting salmon...if you don't have a motor and you're moving along @ 3kts due to prevailling wind...are you required to use barbless circle hooks? (Or can you simply use barbless j-hooks because you're moving along due to the wind harnessed by your sail...and thus, not drifting w/prevailing wind). Lol, sorry!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
The real quandry arises when targeting salmon...if you don't have a motor and you're moving along @ 3kts due to prevailling wind...are you required to use barbless circle hooks? (Or can you simply use barbless j-hooks because you're moving along due to the wind harnessed by your sail...and thus, not drifting w/prevailing wind). Lol, sorry!
yeah, that's one of the problems..the other is if you are in certain MLPAs which allow trolling for salmon and pelagics, but you're not under "power"

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006

When your sailing, in the eyes of DFG you are under power and trolling not drifting so 2 barbless j hooks. If your sail is completely reefed, you are drifting and should be using barbless circle hooks.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Does it become a problem to explain to the DFG that "this one was caught on the j hook while trolling" and "this one was caught on the circle while mooching"?  Or does it really matter at that point?  I guess what DOES matter is catching your alternative species BEFORE the salmon, correct?

Thanks!

~Bill

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Well I think you need to put everything on an even playing field. The whole reason you have to register them is because any vessel the is not human powered ie. row/paddle is supposed to be registered. Thus considered "under power" when sailing.  I even had to register a little 8' pram if I put an electric motor on it... When they describe the definition of mooching, they are only refering to the drift created by prevailing winds or tide. Not harnessing it in a sail for increased speed and power. When you are moving faster or in different directions from all other boats you are obviously under some sort of power.