Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:56:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Connection Problems  (Read 1947 times)

Tinker

I like using a slow sinking mainline connected to 15-18 feet of T-18 to a leader, but hinging between the mainline and the T-18 has been a problem.  If I cut the factory loops off the mainline, what's the best method to attach the T-18?

And as a second question, does a nail knot work on mono-to-mono connections?  The double surgeon's knot creates a big enough lump in leaders to interfere when I have a bigger fish at the boat.  I can tie a nail knot, but blood knots manage to escape my knot-tying skills.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Double Uni knot is my line connector knot :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I would make loops out of hollow spectra or dacron. look up making topshots with hollow spectra. Those will be smoothest connection possible.
If hinging is an issue, old school nail knot mono loop with some flexible adhesive.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:00:40 PM by fishshim »

Tinker

Thank you, but the connection area where I'm having problems is the main line to the T-18 sink tip.  You cannot make a nail knot between those two lines.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
I found that hinging is a common issue with shooting heads try a full intermediate line if you want a slow sinker that won't hing on you. I used Rio clear intermediate but prefer the cheaper Cortland clear camp. It cast better and had way less memory.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Opps sorry dude i missunderstood.you want a fast sinking tip on an intermediate running line.duh

Tinker

Yeah, kind of counter-intuitive.  I want to get the fly down to 50+ feet but still be able to watch the line as it sinks.

Right now I'm using a SINK 7 integrated line, but would really like to get some use out of all the T-18 I bought before I thought about how to work with it.

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
15-18ft is kinda short and may enhance the hinging action. IMO don't go under 24' if you are trying to use it as a shooting head. I start with a 30' chunk and cut back until it feels right for the rod.

You could try using the braid part of the a braided loop and aquasealing over the connection. I still think it might hinge though.

I prefer integrated lines on the yak so I can pull some of the head in to cast a little easier at times, in the boat I don't care.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:28:56 AM by golfish »
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

Tinker

15-18ft is kinda short and may enhance the hinging action. IMO don't go under 24' if you are trying to use it as a shooting head. I start with a 30' chunk and cut back until it feels right for the rod.

You could try using the braid part of the a braided loop and aquasealing over the connection. I still think it might hinge though.

I prefer integrated lines on the yak so I can pull some of the head in to cast a little easier at times, in the boat I don't care.

Thanks.  I've about accepted that it sounded better in my head than it actually works.  Oh well, I'll figure out something I can do with the T-18.

peterjmaes

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
Have you tried an Albright knot?  Quick, easy, AND strong.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Thanks.  I've about accepted that it sounded better in my head than it actually works.  Oh well, I'll figure out something I can do with the T-18.

You can chop it up into sinktips if you ever do skagit casting with the 2-hander.
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13