Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:28:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Oahu amber jack  (Read 3204 times)

Boogied-D

got this kahala at turtle bay resort on a beautiful hawaiian day. i sank down a mackeral scad about 150 feet. bam. not a good eater in hawaii but a good fighter. they are known to be toxic with cig and full of worms. this does help substain a catch and release industry though. aloha Boogie
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 10:32:31 PM by Boogie-D »

tallpaul

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
How did this one taste?
Always willing to join others in the Monterey/Santa Cruz/Half Moon Bay area for a bit of fishing...feel free to contact me.

Boogied-D

paul it tested negative for cig  but was full of worms i fed it to the cat she loved it. i wanted to release him but he wouldnt swim away. aloha

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
paul it tested negative for cig  but was full of worms i fed it to the cat she loved it. i wanted to release him but he wouldnt swim away. aloha

Unless you cook that fish well you might not want to feed it to your cat lest those worms infest your cat. Just hoping for a happy kitty. :cat:

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Boogied-D

I definatly cooked it. i thought that would be o.k for her. next time if they dont want to swim away I will feed kahala to the sharks. aloha

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Yellowtail fish (often erroneously labeled yellowtail tuna) is sought after in So Cal and Mexican waters. It's related to the amberjack. I wonder why yellowtail meat is not as wormy as the amberjack (not that I want it to be).

Bluewater Jon

My guess would be that Amberjacks are less of a travelling species than yellowtail. The way I target AJ's in Hawaii is to drop down a bait all the way to the bottom- that's where they hang out- near the rocks and ledges- deep underwater structure.Yellowtail can be down there, but they are also frequently breezing on top, as evidenced by being able to sight them from kayaks, and also, by being able to hook them flylining a bait on the water surface. I have never heard of an amberjack coming up to eat a bait presented on the surface- not that it hasn't happened. Also you know how YT will froth on a baitball on a surface. never heard of that happeneing with AJ's. So maybe the stuff they are eating down there has worms. Or they are eating too much poor quality sushi...

Boogied-D

jons right the amber jack here live on the bottom and eat lots of reef fish. the reef fish often carry cig. from what i hear yellow tail surface a lot and its rare to catch an amber jack on top. they are bull dog fighters and a lot of fun.