Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:11:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[Today at 11:06:44 AM]

[Today at 11:05:23 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Nutty Kayakfishing Clip on You Tube!  (Read 9513 times)

Bluewater Jon

Howdy y'all this is Bluewater Jon Schwartz. I wanted to invite you to
look at a clip that I posted on youtube of me kayakfishing for dorados.
here is the link:

Tx and take care
Bluewater Jon
Extreme Kayak Fishing Videos, Stories, and Pics
http://www.bluewaterjon.com/

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Pretty neato - I think I need a video camera and some Prozac so I can do that too!  Sorry to be a slammer, but your commentary, BWJon, is a little 3rd gradish.  It's obviously an awesome experience, but come on, you're a salesman! 
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Bluewater Jon

Dear Mr. Hardcore Dyed in the Wool Kayak Fisherman,Oh well, sorry you feel that way. Actually I've gotten very positive responses from people who have viewed the film. My slant towards the entertaining and dramatic comes from my actually being a third grade teacher. In fact I teach the kids of deployed Marines, and 50 cents of each video goes to the PTO here at my school. So far I've raised over 250 dollars for the families here. In addition to that, I have an open offer to take my students fishing after school, and I video tape them and give them DVD's of that, to boost their self esteem. Over the years I've taken many, and in fact last year we had a whole class trip on a half day boat which came as a result of my networking. I also arranged a free powerboat fishing trip on Wednesday for a child last week whose dad deployed for the 3rd time in 5 years the following day. I'd like, therefore, to challenge you to two things: 1, get an RX for Prozac, and I'll loan you a camera and get you a gift certificate to Starbucks.  Let's see what you come up with. Two,  please fill us in on how you're contributing to society. How's that amigo?
Jon

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
Wow Jon ... looks like a couple prozacs are in order.  Abking has contributed a ton to this board, you may want to back down and get the lay of the land before making enemies.  Peace.  :flower:

-Allen

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Thank you, Allen.  And I'm sorry, Jon.  I seem to have mistaken your video for some misguided attempt to sell guide services to a group of DIY'ers!  I respect the fact that you have done wonderful charitable things for kids and such - keep up the great work!

Sometimes I just get a little hyper I guess!    :smt002

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Sorry to be a slammer, but your commentary, BWJon, is a little 3rd gradish.

Gotta agree w/ Abbie on this, your writing and narration could use some work. I say this as a viewer and ex-TV producer. Don't take it too hard again, nothing more than constructive criticism.

It's obviously an awesome experience, but come on, you're a salesman!

I can see what Abbie is saying here too. You popped up on our site and advertised yourself right away w/o contributing to the site yet. We love to yakfish and all but we're friends first. Why don't you just chill on showing your video and site and talk about yakfishing? That's what NCKA is all about IMO.

:hippy2:
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Dear Mr. Hardcore Dyed in the Wool Kayak Fisherman,Oh well, sorry you feel that way. Actually I've gotten very positive responses from people who have viewed the film. My slant towards the entertaining and dramatic comes from my actually being a third grade teacher. In fact I teach the kids of deployed Marines, and 50 cents of each video goes to the PTO here at my school. So far I've raised over 250 dollars for the families here. In addition to that, I have an open offer to take my students fishing after school, and I video tape them and give them DVD's of that, to boost their self esteem. Over the years I've taken many, and in fact last year we had a whole class trip on a half day boat which came as a result of my networking. I also arranged a free powerboat fishing trip on Wednesday for a child last week whose dad deployed for the 3rd time in 5 years the following day. I'd like, therefore, to challenge you to two things: 1, get an RX for Prozac, and I'll loan you a camera and get you a gift certificate to Starbucks.  Let's see what you come up with. Two,  please fill us in on how you're contributing to society. How's that amigo?
Jon

Dear BluewaterJon,

Your transparently commercial posts here on NCKA are generally amusing, although a bit annoying. You've got 7 posts here, all of which have to do with promoting your videos or DVD. Now you're lashing out at a member here that could serve as a role model for kayak anglers in Northern California. So to paraphrase the old commercial "where's the content?" What do you bring to NCKA, other than using it as a means to generate page hits on your site?

Since all of your posts are spammish in nature, who are you to complain if someone here thinks your videos sound childish? Especially in light of: 1) They really do sound like they're narrated for children 2) you appear to proud of this fact. Why not politely respond to Abking and maybe take his comments into consideration, and do a DVD with narration geared for people over the age of 21?

As for contributing to society, let's get real. We're talking fishing here. Unless someone can show that they're putting food in the mouths of starving individuals, ain't nobody contributing to society by kayakfishing. Not you, not me, not Abking. As for your taking kids out fishing, that's very nice. But speaking from my own experience, some of the best memories I have are of getting other folks hooked (pun intended) on fishing. So honestly, it's kind of a win/win experience, isn't it? It's also not like you're out there being a volunteer septic tank cleaner for old widder ladies in the middle of Mississipi in August. You're out fishing in a pretty cool environment. $250 in donations is also nice, but is paltry compared to the amount NCKA members raise for worthwhile causes annually. 

Regards,
Scott

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 09:43:22 AM by ScottThornley »

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Beautiful ocean, nice boil, great fish antics. I like the fishing, didn't care for the audio. Liked the textual posturing even less.

John
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Bluewater Jon

Look fellas, here's whatsup. I am new to the site. I wanted to show some stuff I've been lucky enough to do. That's one of the functions of fishing boards, right? I thought about doing so, and sharing some stories and pics and such from my own site, and then thought, maybe it will rub the NorCal admin staff the wrong way, so what I did was contact the site admin and ask if it was cool that I do this. He said go ahead. Then I was putting together a clip for someone's fishing (non-kayak) site last night (yes there are adults out there above 21 that enjoy it, but you not liking it is perfectly valid) and I thought, why not post it on this site also, it seems consistent with the theme of this particular forum- ie, show off what you caught, and no one has complained thus far, including the site admin. The name of this forum is "Show off your catches" or something to that effect, right?..so I am surprised that when I am showing something off,it gets targeted in a nasty way. I think it's usually a waste of time to reply to someone when they say something negative about what you post, but the fact is, that's actually how I talk, and the fellow's response was a personal attack. If the fellow's point was that I seem to be trying to sell stuff, that he didn't appreciate it, and that I should stop, that's legitimate, but how about a private message or reporting it to the site admin. "Cool, maybe I should take some Prozac, drink some coffee, and get a camera too"  was a comment that was snyde and mean enough in nature that I felt warranted a reply. The thing about the internet is that people feel free to say stuff in ways that they wouldn't ordinarilly express themselves- you know, they don't take the time to think about the way that they say it. Yes, I am new to the board, but I don't think that you one should have to be "in the club" to be treated with respect. I guess it's silly though to expect that on the net, so really it's partly my fault. Either way, no hard feelings hopefully, sorry I got defensive. I'm sure we all have better things to do than engage in an online pissing match.
Tx,
Jon

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Maybe Ab's reply was a little sarcastic, but your response was way too strong and condescending. Especially considering that you are new here and don't know anybody. I know you didn't start it, but you sure escalated it. We just lost a member who did the same thing. She was brand new to the site and started getting into arguments left and right. It went downhill from there and eventually she wasn't a member any more. I hope that doesn't happen in your case, because you obviously have a lot to contribute.

Keep posting your videos. I like them. They do seem a bit self promoting, but I don't really care, as long as they're entertaining. But it's best to get to know these folks before getting into any verbal battles. If somebody gives you a hard time, best to brush it off. After people get to know you, a little debate now and then won't cause any hard feelings.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:11:18 PM by ganoderma »
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

Bluewater Jon

Ganoderma,
     Tx for the input. Yeah I could tell as I was typing the reply I should have just kept quiet, that's something I've learned from being married 10 years. I would like to respectfully bring up the notion that it's always a good idea to brush it off when someone gives you a hard time; I'm not sure that that is always the case- I think it depends on the how the person came across.
     The thing about the net, though, is that it's not like someone comes up to you on the street and says something verbally and goes away, the comment sits there on the board and, if left undisputed, can become the last word on the subject. I wish I were mature enough to brush it off but it seemed that the comments went beyond sarcasm and were personal in nature. After reading AbKings reply to my reply I realize that it was probably not meant to be mean but it seemed like it at the time. No I am not trying to guide anyone, what the heck can I do that we all can't do, right?
     I always feel a little uncomfortable hawking the video or my site and all that. It may not seem like that. When I had some space at the Fred Hall Show, I just sat there next to the TV that was playing my loop. I was too embarrassed to even introduce myself or promote it. Once in a while i would say hello to the people who were watching it, and they'd look at me like I was trying to ask them out on a date- "who the heck are you"? type of thing. After two days of no one inquiring about it, but lots of people looking at it, I went up to some dude that kept on watching the trailer, and I said, "What do you think of my video?", you know, I just wanted to get some feedback, and he said, that's your video? You can't expect people to know that if you don't represent yourself.." So I've learned I have to go out of my comfort zone to share what I have worked on.
     As far as commercialness and money making, shoot, I don't think I'll ever even break even on it, that was never the point. I just like telling stories and sharing them with others. I put a lot of work into my site and my movie, to me it's like a form of art, I get to do the editing, soundtrack, do some original music to it (and to others, garbage, but oh well) and just like anyone, I want as many people to check it out my work as possible. I don't get out much so really this video and website thing is a way for me to share myself with others, you know, interact with others. Otherwise it's just work, come back and eat, sleep, and then repeat. So this is really a hobby.
     I agree that the vids are 100% self promoting, but then again, like I said, I'm probably never going to really get anywhere with it anyway, other than just getting some "Dude that was funny when you.." type of stuff. So if all I get is people reading my stories on my site, that's cool. I don't think I'm any different than anyone else. I sure ain't no expert and I don't have any skills that others don't, or couldn't have, if they put some hours into it. That's why I got into this sport in the first place- with some determination and patience, anyone can do it. Plus it's a new sport so there are so many things that haven't been done.
    Anyway tx and take care,
          Jon

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Ganoderma,
     Tx for the input. Yeah I could tell as I was typing the reply I should have just kept quiet, that's something I've learned from being married 10 years. I would like to respectfully bring up the notion that it's always a good idea to brush it off when someone gives you a hard time; I'm not sure that that is always the case- I think it depends on the how the person came across.
     The thing about the net, though, is that it's not like someone comes up to you on the street and says something verbally and goes away, the comment sits there on the board and, if left undisputed, can become the last word on the subject. I wish I were mature enough to brush it off but it seemed that the comments went beyond sarcasm and were personal in nature. After reading AbKings reply to my reply I realize that it was probably not meant to be mean but it seemed like it at the time. No I am not trying to guide anyone, what the heck can I do that we all can't do, right?
     I always feel a little uncomfortable hawking the video or my site and all that. It may not seem like that. When I had some space at the Fred Hall Show, I just sat there next to the TV that was playing my loop. I was too embarrassed to even introduce myself or promote it. Once in a while i would say hello to the people who were watching it, and they'd look at me like I was trying to ask them out on a date- "who the heck are you"? type of thing. After two days of no one inquiring about it, but lots of people looking at it, I went up to some dude that kept on watching the trailer, and I said, "What do you think of my video?", you know, I just wanted to get some feedback, and he said, that's your video? You can't expect people to know that if you don't represent yourself.." So I've learned I have to go out of my comfort zone to share what I have worked on.
     As far as commercialness and money making, shoot, I don't think I'll ever even break even on it, that was never the point. I just like telling stories and sharing them with others. I put a lot of work into my site and my movie, to me it's like a form of art, I get to do the editing, soundtrack, do some original music to it (and to others, garbage, but oh well) and just like anyone, I want as many people to check it out my work as possible. I don't get out much so really this video and website thing is a way for me to share myself with others, you know, interact with others. Otherwise it's just work, come back and eat, sleep, and then repeat. So this is really a hobby.
     I agree that the vids are 100% self promoting, but then again, like I said, I'm probably never going to really get anywhere with it anyway, other than just getting some "Dude that was funny when you.." type of stuff. So if all I get is people reading my stories on my site, that's cool. I don't think I'm any different than anyone else. I sure ain't no expert and I don't have any skills that others don't, or couldn't have, if they put some hours into it. That's why I got into this sport in the first place- with some determination and patience, anyone can do it. Plus it's a new sport so there are so many things that haven't been done.
    Anyway tx and take care,
          Jon

Don't worry about it. This stuff happens. And you're right about email and web groups. Any emotions expressed tend to get magnified way out of proportion. Just keep posting, take criticism in stride, and enjoy the site!
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Just so everyone knows when Jon first posted I sent him a PM asking that if he was going to use this forum for a little self promotion that he give back to our site as well. He agreed to link to our site from him and he also sent me 3 copies of his DVD for free. We will use them as prizes for raffles etc. Having watched it I can say (and I am sure Jon would agree) it is not a professionally produced video but it does have a certain charm. He does land some big fish in it as well.

Bottom line he has already contributed more than probably 90% of the people that visit this site. I do hope he reduces the "spaminess" of his post a bit but hey he is from SoCal what do you expect  :smt003

LoletaEric

• Manatee
I just like telling stories and sharing them with others. I put a lot of work into my site and my movie, to me it's like a form of art, I get to do the editing, soundtrack, do some original music to it (and to others, garbage, but oh well) and just like anyone, I want as many people to check it out my work as possible. I don't get out much so really this video and website thing is a way for me to share myself with others, you know, interact with others. Otherwise it's just work, come back and eat, sleep, and then repeat. So this is really a hobby.

Dude!  I want to go fishing with you!!   :smt001  You could poll the membership here and I may win a gold star for matching your description above!!! 

The very truth of the matter here is that what I first wrote WAS meant to be mean - because I thought you were just selling something here.  I reconsidered having posted it, but I figured it couldn't turn into something nasty if some good communication actually occured from it.  I like your disposition, and again, I'm sorry that I jumped you.  I honestly hadn't seen your other post where you disclosed that you are a 3rd grade teacher, so that comment of mine was totally ironic~ :smt001  I was being a smart-ass, and I would've deserved it if I got a tongue-lashing from a few of my buds here for it.  Due to some thoughtful replies here I think it's worked out for the better all around.

Welcome aboard, Bluewater Jon.   :smt001

anything