Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:59:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Thoughts on ocean thermometer  (Read 1204 times)

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Does anyone use a thermometer to measure water temp? I know they use those things in the Great Lakes for Salmon, but not sure if it’s useful here in the Bay Area.
Do you have any thoughts or recommendations?
I found this product, by FishHawk, that is attached to a fishing rod line with a sinker, dropped, and then retrieved. It records the water temp at 5ft increments. Battery is not replaceable, but should last 7 years according to the manufacturer.
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
My thoughts are you would have to be really super-dialing it in if this purchase led to higher catch rates.  Seems like WAY too much money.  Maybe Im naive...

Dom

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
Just curious - would you use this to pick a depth to fish at? I wouldn't think the water temp would change very much in different locations within paddling distance.

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
This would be good for kokes but we dont really use this so much in the ocean
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
This would be good for kokes but we dont really use this so much in the ocean

I've only fished for kokes once, but I'd think that a FF would suffice.

In any case, I agree that for the ocean, this would be overkill.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

poulton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
They are used in fresh water a lot to find temp levels
Being the ocean is pretty constant 50-55 degrees I don't see a use here locally Maybe down south
But also have not seen any articles on ocean fish preferring a certain temp?
I might just be behind in my reading ?

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Just curious - would you use this to pick a depth to fish at? I wouldn't think the water temp would change very much in different locations within paddling distance.

I think Salmon is typically trolled at 30ft, but sometimes down up to 50ft. I know Salmon prefers 57F and below water temperature, so I think trolling depth is determined by temperature, although it’s probably not the only factor I’m sure (salmon would sometime come to the surface to eat). I know the *surface* water temp close to shore is higher, but not sure about deeper water. Reefs and currents can also have impact on temperature locally.
That’s why I’m wondering if this device could help find that zone
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
The more you know... :smt004
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I agree it's overkill.  The ocean doesn't tend to have a ton of stratification of temperature where we're salmon fishing.  The vast majority of salmon fishermen just key in on the surface temperature provided by the sonar unit, and discussions on the VHF comparing temps are common - moreso for checking accuracy of one's unit than to find other temps nearby.  It's not tuna fishing level, but I'd say almost every seasoned salmon fisherman does pay pretty close attention to the temperature trend at the very least.

All that said, anything you can do to 'adjust the dials' and find even a small advantage in salmon fishing, you should do - that focus along with putting in the time will get you there.

This summer - late July - I had a father-son team out with me.  We'd landed a nice salmon not too far from launch in 50' fishing near the bottom (by the way, people troll below 30 and 50 feet a lot - not always temperature dependent), and we'd headed farther offshore to target lingcod and rockfish more.  We had another nice salmon up to the boat while still trolling near the bottom, and all boats talking about salmon on the radio were trolling pretty deep.  The water was in the high 50's, so if there was a slight difference in temperature nearer the bottom maybe that's why most of the fleet was fishing that depth.

So the son started feeling seasick, and I needed to get him to paddle in the mile and a quarter to launch before his illness might progress.  We bee-lined for launch, and I left my gear out behind me - 8 ounces of lead and a premium chove, bare.  I didn't want to talk to my guest because that blows when you feel shitty!  But I had to say something to him - I pointed at my line and how it was basically stretched straight out behind me - we were paddling at like 3.5 MPH and the current was against us, so my gear was basically right on top in 60 FOW - maybe it was up to 10' down.

Boom!  I was on a 19 pound king.  You never know where the fish will be, but the ODDS are important to go with.

I had that brute next to the yak a couple of times and had it close again and just hanging out of net reach.  I pulled it closer as I held the net up and ready, and my gear shot out of its mouth!!  I was shocked and so was it!  I scooped fast and got it!  Miracle.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Great story and example of the varied conditions/locations in which a salmon will bite, ES!

Or, maybe it's just your mojo, man.  :smt002
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Herefishy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
I used to have a temperature output on my whaler attatched to my down rigger ball on my whaler. Never really got useful information that translated into more fish.
From an article on catching salmon:
Fishing Depths
Salmon have a strong tendency to swim at certain depths during the day depending on water temperature, currents, and where the baitfish are. Most fish caught on the same day will be caught at roughly the same depth. Finding the right depth is part of being in the right place at the right time. If you are not catching any fish, constantly change your fishing depth, as well as you tackle. The most common salmon depths are from the surface to 125 feet.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... by the way, people troll below 30 and 50 feet a lot ...

At Moss Landing the salmon are sometimes caught 250' down. I have fished there at about that depth with my DR from my kayak--I didn't catch anything, but a boat 30 yards away from me did...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

oysterer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Agreed that this is overkill for salmon. Knowing the general temp, as Eric said, can be pretty useful. Salmon tend to bite less in warm (62+) water. One fishery in which I've found temperature to be very important is halibut. They loooove the warm water and I usually won't even try if the water is under 58. Keeping an eye on water temps, especially in bays with large tidal influence, can put you in or out of the zone pretty decisively if halibut fishing

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
... by the way, people troll below 30 and 50 feet a lot ...

At Moss Landing the salmon are sometimes caught 250' down. I have fished there at about that depth with my DR from my kayak--I didn't catch anything, but a boat 30 yards away from me did...

If I convert my kayak to a submarine I think my downrigger line would make it to 250’ too..
In any case, I read that Salmon move to colder water when food is scarce. This is to conserve energy. Warner water require higher metabolism, which consumes more energy, but the salmon adapt to it when food is abundant. That’s when they get fat. So based on your experience in Moss Landing, I would guess (might be wrong) that it was early in the season?
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007

Boom!  I was on a 19 pound king.  You never know where the fish will be, but the ODDS are important to go with.

I had that brute next to the yak a couple of times and had it close again and just hanging out of net reach.  I pulled it closer as I held the net up and ready, and my gear shot out of its mouth!!  I was shocked and so was it!  I scooped fast and got it!  Miracle.   :smt001

awesome  :smt005

anything