Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:41:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Recommendations for rod holder (Scotty compatible)  (Read 2332 times)

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Can anyone suggest a Scotty compatible rod holder?
I have a Revo 16, with Scotty mounts in the pockets, so the only option (unless I do more rigging  :smt013) is a Scotty compatible rod holder.

My current setup is the Scotty extension arm and Scotty rod holder.
It works well because:
- the arm is not in the way of the downrigger, so I can reel the downrigger freely
- the arm, and the rod, are not in the way of my legs when I paddle

But what doesn’t work is that my rod is too loose in the holder, so if I change direction it will come out of the top loop (which I leave open).
The biggest issue however is that the holder engages the spool release button (Daiwa Lexa, on a Lamiglass x11). So many times I’d depress the button, put the rod in the holder, and start lowering my downrigger, and I’d find that line is not coming out because the button has been engaged by the rod holder.
So annoying!

Any other suggestions on my setup are welcome.
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Try the Scotty Rocket Launcher.  I tried many, this is the simplest best one for me. 
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I use the Scotty rocket launcher as well and it does the job.

I've also been eyeing the YakAttack AR tube ( courtesy of MooMoo) as it looks pretty versatile.

https://www.fishusa.com/YakAttack-AR-Tube-Rod-Holder?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkPri866W7AIVqdSzCh1edgpAEAQYASABEgLupfD_BwE

2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I use the Scotty rocket launcher as well and it does the job.

I've also been eyeing the YakAttack AR tube ( courtesy of MooMoo) as it looks pretty versatile.

https://www.fishusa.com/YakAttack-AR-Tube-Rod-Holder?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkPri866W7AIVqdSzCh1edgpAEAQYASABEgLupfD_BwE

Nice one. Would it connect to my Scotty mount?
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The Scotty Rocket Launcher ticks all the boxes, except that when I paddle I like to put my hand on the butt of my rod because I can feel the salmon nibbling. With this holder it wouldn’t be possible.
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
I use the Bass pro/Cabelas quick draw rod holders.  They fit the Scotty mounts and allow you to partially set the hook when removing your rod from the holder keeping tension on the line.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-quickdraw-rod-holder
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I use the Bass pro/Cabelas quick draw rod holders.  They fit the Scotty mounts and allow you to partially set the hook when removing your rod from the holder keeping tension on the line.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-quickdraw-rod-holder

Awesome. I should try it and see how it works.
Thanks!
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
If you like to troll, I recommend you consider something like a Scotty Orca or a Folbe rod holder oriented so the rod crosses over your feet. This keeps the line a little closer to your kayak, which means less pull in one direction and easier to maintain a straight course. 

When I switched from Scotty to Folbe, I was happy to find that the Folbe base had the same screw pattern as the Scotty it replaced.

Folbe FTW, in my opinion...

This video shows how mine is set up. Years later I'm still happy with it.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 12:46:49 PM by AlexB »

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
The Scotty Rocket Launcher ticks all the boxes, except that when I paddle I like to put my hand on the butt of my rod because I can feel the salmon nibbling. With this holder it wouldn’t be possible.

Curious how you are able to paddle and have your hand on the butt of the rod at the same time.  Are you saying that you paddle a few strokes and glide to feel for a nibble and then paddle a few more?
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

TommyTwoFish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
My setup is like AlexB's.  Can watch rod tip, FF (and DR) all at once.  Can also easily fiddle with reel drag, if I need too.  Other advantage is the side with the rod holder is relatively open (with the rod holder pretty far forward), which helps with re-entry.

I use the Yak-Attack Omega Pro holder, which I do not recommend.  Worked fine until I got a longer trolling rod which put more torque on the mount.  Now is is prone to popping out of its teeth, swinging the rod back to smack me in the face.  Watching this thread to help me figure out a replacement.

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
The Stealth rod holders will fit in the Scotty base. However if you want to use a Scotty product in the Stealth base the little keeper nub will need to be slightly reduced in size. Just got a Scotty Lake Troller and was happy that it fits in the Stealth base with the little adjustment.

2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
The Stealth rod holders will fit in the Scotty base. However if you want to use a Scotty product in the Stealth base the little keeper nub will need to be slightly reduced in size. Just got a Scotty Lake Troller and was happy that it fits in the Stealth base with the little adjustment.
You may want to tie your downrigger to something in case it jumps out.
2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017

Even with the nub slightly reduced in size the down rigger cannot come out unless it is lined up.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

Even with the nub slightly reduced in size the down rigger cannot come out unless it is lined up.
OK, good to know.  I have the Stealth rod holder, for me, the fit wasn't quite exact, so I have a natural worry about high load popping out (happened to me).

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

anything