Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:26:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:07:13 PM]

[Today at 08:09:27 PM]

[Today at 07:50:07 PM]

[Today at 07:29:14 PM]

[Today at 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: So...crab pots  (Read 3928 times)

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017

We split a string of 6 weighted Danielsons between 3 kayakers.  We just coordinated who checked them when, and where the pots were last left.  Even with 3 of us, it was a lot of work to check them regularly, and sometimes they'd go a couple weeks without being checked, especially if the weather came up. 

Did you guys make up written permission letters to each other, or was this before the Go-ID buoys?  If I'm not mistaken, you could get cited these days for pulling "other peoples traps" without something written down to confirm it's not poaching.  It looks like the newest regs allow for electronic written permission (a text message?).

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

We split a string of 6 weighted Danielsons between 3 kayakers.  We just coordinated who checked them when, and where the pots were last left.  Even with 3 of us, it was a lot of work to check them regularly, and sometimes they'd go a couple weeks without being checked, especially if the weather came up. 

Did you guys make up written permission letters to each other, or was this before the Go-ID buoys?  If I'm not mistaken, you could get cited these days for pulling "other peoples traps" without something written down to confirm it's not poaching.  It looks like the newest regs allow for electronic written permission (a text message?).

I don't remember.  This was quite a few years ago, so probably before Go-ID.

-Allen

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017

I don't remember.  This was quite a few years ago, so probably before Go-ID.

-Allen

Nice, I like the idea...  Might have to exchange "permission slips" with my buddy and share a short string of traps this season.  That could be a super efficient use of water time if we schedule it right.

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
What's everyone thoughts on leaving out traps for the whole season?  Checking 2-3 times a week.

I'm thinking the Danielson ones instead of going fancier/more sturdy in case someone steals them.  Adding 5 pounds of weight. 

I know I'll get poached at some point, but since I live so close to a decent spot I was thinking of trying it out with 2 traps and seeing out things go.  Check them before/after work.

Did you end up doing this last year? I’m also wondering about an o/n or multi day soak off the Marin coast...

I did a little bit but stopped.

I had traps stolen last year so this year I'm not going to be leaving things overnight or even that much out of my sight anymore.

If I do decide to leave one overnight it would be as cheap and generic as possible

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019

Last year my buddies and i would just keep texts available when pulling eachothers gear. never had to explain it though
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

anything