Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:35:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Matrix 67-first impressions  (Read 4758 times)

TomB

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Hey Sean,

You mentioned above that you were going to try out some 2300 mAH ni cads . How did they perform did you get to the 10/ 12 hrs expected?
I have a new Matrix 17 still in the box. Where is the best place to buy the battery holder to hold 10 AAs I can figure out the water proof box part but need help in finding the battery's themselves and the holder. I remember a link that was posted in the past but have not had luck in finding it with the search feature.  Thanks in advance for your kindness.
P.S. what ever happened to the clothing you were adding to your inventory??
EX_KMA-628--                                                                 TomB

surfingmarmot

I rigged it as follows: quad-sensor (side-looking since I had it from my Matrix 37 already in the kayak), temperature sensor, and GPS. I hooked up a digital multimeter to read the current drawn. It drew current ranging from 230 to 256 mA for the 15 minutes I monitored--it fluctuated because some of the electronic components were not operating continuously. At that rate, the Matrix 67 would give you 4 hours per Amp/Hour. Of course battery depletion is non-linear, at some voltage amperage drops off a cliff, etc., etc. so I'd put in a safety factor and say a 4 Amp/hr battery would 10 hours instead of the linear 12 hours. I'll be trying tomorrow under real conditions and I'll post the results. As for the Matrix 17, I assume it will draw a similar 250 mA but with a dual instead of quad sensor, it may be more like 200 or even 180 mA. You'll have to try and see.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I have been too lazy to go get rechargeables.  I will post as soon as I do.  The link was in the announcement, but it is gone...not sure how to find it now.  We have been ordering some clothing for folks, trying others out, and will update the site when I think its good stuff.  I try to use or try everything on the site, I don't want to sell anything crappy.

TomB

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Hey Sean

What about the holder assy that holds the ten AA ?? Do you sell these ?
I will continue to look for the link for the batteries. As I remember they had good prices on bulk quantity.

EX- KMA-628-                           TomB

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I ordered some the other day for a few projects, I'd be glad to pass them on if I end up with an extra.  Or you can get em here...they are not expensive http://www.thomas-distributing.com/battery-holders.htm

TomB

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Excellent Sean,

That is just the info I needed. I think I will order and try out the AA listed at the top of the site page. The name is powerx and rated at 2500 Mah . I have some nmh AA but not enough to fill a 10 battery holder. I know not to mix odd brands and amp rated batteries.
Thanks for sharing the information.

EX-KMA-628- TomB

surfingmarmot

I have some old NiMH double-As that are rated for 1200 mAh which gives about five hours given the Matrix 67's current draw of around 250 mA/hr (using maximum draw I saw on the multimeter to add a safety factor--actual current fluctuates as GPS is polled and sounder fires off signals). I ordered 16 of the 2500 mAh AAs from them. That should cover me for camping as well as day-trips. I wonder what the charge decay is on those batteries. NiMH batteries lose something like 12% per day (decaying exponentially I believe) so they need to be charged up right before the trip. I use rechargeable alkaline in my headlamp because they have a much greater half-life when charged but the trade off is that they don't have the amperage output. No free lunch as usual.

I hope to hook up with you at Mendo this Fall for the Striper bite. Sounds like it finally took off for you. Congrats.