Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:55:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Doran Crabbin' - Slow or just me?  (Read 5162 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Wait awhile... I dropped 4 pots overnite... for zilch the storm drove them deeper.
Dang...I had high hopes...a boat guy I met today has his pots at 250
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Wait awhile... I dropped 4 pots overnite... for zilch the storm drove them deeper.
Dang...I had high hopes...a boat guy I met today has his pots at 250
not gonna bring 250’ ft of rope...on the kayak. I’ll just wait... lol
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
I'll find them this week in less than 50' of water.   Then I'll call you guys over for crab dinner!

Tr16

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
Dropped 4 pots overnight for 1 clicker male and one undersized female.  Pretty bummed as I dropped 4 traps and only 2 were there this morning.  All traps were Danielson with the same floats/weight so it’s hard to believe 2 walked with the swells....

MotherLoad

Bummer about the traps. How common is it to have gear soaking overnight get ripped off? I tried today between 11-2 with a single hoop trap and twenty minute soaks. One clicker Dungee, one keeper red, one keeper rock. Moved trap around looking for best location. West of jetty produced rock and red in 40 fow. 20 fow right in front of the beach got the dungeness
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:00:48 PM by Trutta »

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Dropped 4 pots overnight for 1 clicker male and one undersized female.  Pretty bummed as I dropped 4 traps and only 2 were there this morning.  All traps were Danielson with the same floats/weight so it’s hard to believe 2 walked with the swells....

The tides were and are really big this week and next.  It's possible the traps walked and disappeared if you didn't have enough line or weight.  Poaching and stealing is still likely.

Tr16

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014

The tides were and are really big this week and next.  It's possible the traps walked and disappeared if you didn't have enough line or weight.  Poaching and stealing is still likely.

Totally possible they walked too.   I just put some new floats on to replace my pool noodle floats because the damn seagulls love to peck them.  May have been a combo of big swells/tide/ and new floats.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Totally possible they walked too.   I just put some new floats on to replace my pool noodle floats because the damn seagulls love to peck them.  May have been a combo of big swells/tide/ and new floats.
No rebar or weights?

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
The crabs are waiting for Crabfest in the end of January. 
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I found it slow today.  Crabbed Doran from 10:30 - 2:00 all by my lonesome.  Although, there were a number of pots out. Ended up with 2 take home Rocks. I was expecting the wind to be from the NW but instead it was from the SW.  Nothing too bad but it was consistently windy past the wind shadow of the jetty.  The swell was manageable but some big rollers would come through on occasion.  On my last two outings I've noticed the swell and wind come down after 12P.  I find this to be the opposite of most sites on the north coast.  Used three Promar Ambush traps.  A good day; nice drive up, improved my crabbing technique little by little & trap handling, got some exercise, and had a nice drive back. 

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile MooMoo Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks for the report Mike. Hopefully crabbing gets better.
https://youtube.com/channel/UC6mxd4WmuKFxDEozl7vuMzA

2018 AOTY Biggest Lake Trout Winner
2017 Simply Fishing Winner

California Canoe & Kayak Fishing Team Member
Bending Branches Team Member
Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
2015 Hobie Adventure Island
West Marine Pompano 120
2019 Hobie Revo 13 (sold)
2019 Old Town Topwater 120 PDL (sold)
2013 Hobie Revo 11 (sold)
Lifetime Sportfisher (gave away)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I found it slow today.  Crabbed Doran from 10:30 - 2:00 all by my lonesome.  Although, there were a number of pots out. Ended up with 2 take home Rocks. I was expecting the wind to be from the NW but instead it was from the SW.  Nothing too bad but it was consistently windy past the wind shadow of the jetty.  The swell was manageable but some big rollers would come through on occasion.  On my last two outings I've noticed the swell and wind come down after 12P.  I find this to be the opposite of most sites on the north coast.  Used three Promar Ambush traps.  A good day; nice drive up, improved my crabbing technique little by little & trap handling, got some exercise, and had a nice drive back.
Thanks for that brahhdah Mike...what is your bait? :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

DiveForFun

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
. My question is this. I am on the water right now and went to drop a pot but when I got to where I wanted to go I saw about a foot under the water a rope floating that has clearly been cut and not clean like it was hit by a prop. I don’t want to be labeled a poacher but also am not fond of junk lining our ocean floors. What is the moral and legal thing to do?

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
. My question is this. I am on the water right now and went to drop a pot but when I got to where I wanted to go I saw about a foot under the water a rope floating that has clearly been cut and not clean like it was hit by a prop. I don’t want to be labeled a poacher but also am not fond of junk lining our ocean floors. What is the moral and legal thing to do?

I'm curious to hear what others say. My understanding is that you can't legally disturb gear that isn't yours even if it is derelict. You could attach a float to the cut end of the rope and report it to the harbormaster.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Thanks for that brahhdah Mike...what is your bait? :smt006
Chicken drum sticks and squid.  The first pull was promising...1 almost legal dungie and several smalls.  Then, after that, it was an occasional rock crab.  Ya think the bait made the difference?  I could have tried harder and used, in addition to the bait cages, the "chum" jars I got from Dicks. The other day when I got the 1/2 limit I used squid, chicken, and anchovies.  May have to go back to that concoction.

anything