Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:49:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:39:50 PM]

[Today at 04:07:02 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: DIY DIVE FLOAT + Backpack (Pic Heavy)  (Read 8507 times)

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
In what circumstances do you prefer to dive from a dive float, and in what circumstances do you prefer to dive from a kayak?

I was fully trying to understand the ranger suit! haha. I take it you were on scuba based on the fins?

I only kayak when I know I'm going somewhere beyond where I'd feel like swimming to. Not to mention, most of the northern coastal spearfishing honey holes are near cliffs which means launching a kayak is near impossible. I've lowered my kayak down 15 foot cliffs before and roped it back up =P Not fun.
Nope, just snorkeling.  I went out today and whacked six pike.

I can see how a cliff launch would be easier with a dive float than with a kayak!

Access, Access, Access  :smt003
Kayak will get you into more remote places with minimal work,
Shoredive locations are usualy difficult to get to or overwhelmed by other divers.

Since abalone closed i dont even use a board anymore, i just clip the fish into my weighbelt and gun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The only sketchy thing about that is what happened to us last weekend. 3 huge sealions were buzzing us trying to steal the fish off our belts. Seals try too but more playfully and are more timid. Sealions are like "hey, I want those, Im going to come get them now...and maybe dislocate your arm in the process" haha. So we like to have a dive bag to throw them in on a float/kayak somewhere. It's super sketchy having a giant beast coming in hot =P
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

ryang85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
In what circumstances do you prefer to dive from a dive float, and in what circumstances do you prefer to dive from a kayak?

I was fully trying to understand the ranger suit! haha. I take it you were on scuba based on the fins?

I only kayak when I know I'm going somewhere beyond where I'd feel like swimming to. Not to mention, most of the northern coastal spearfishing honey holes are near cliffs which means launching a kayak is near impossible. I've lowered my kayak down 15 foot cliffs before and roped it back up =P Not fun.

I can see how a cliff launch would be easier with a dive float than with a kayak!

Shoredive locations are usualy difficult to get to or overwhelmed by other divers.

Since abalone closed i dont even use a board anymore, i just clip the fish into my weighbelt and gun.

The only sketchy thing about that is what happened to us last weekend. 3 huge sealions were buzzing us trying to steal the fish off our belts. Seals try too but more playfully and are more timid. Sealions are like "hey, I want those, Im going to come get them now...and maybe dislocate your arm in the process" haha. So we like to have a dive bag to throw them in on a float/kayak somewhere. It's super sketchy having a giant beast coming in hot =P
I get harrased by seal lions at most shoredive locations, the key to scaring them off it to get underneath them and swim up at them  and push them or give em a quick poke.

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric

I get harrased by seal lions at most shoredive locations, the key to scaring them off it to get underneath them and swim up at them  and push them or give em a quick poke.

No kidding?? I always heard that poking them agitates them.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

ryang85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016

No kidding?? I always heard that poking them agitates them.
Only if your face to face, if your underneath them they feel vulnerable.

PURE ICE

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
Sorry, kinda off topic, very cool thread.
Are seal bombs still a thing?  weighted M80's
we use to get them from the commercial fishermen off the docks buy trade barter. 

Thanks,
Ice

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Just updating this thread with a video I recently made. Hopefully the video serves as a tool for those newer to the dive community.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1