Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bought a conventional bait casting reel that holds 12lb max  (Read 1334 times)

StephKillsit

• Sea Lion
  • Not yakin just yet but I still yak in other ways!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I want to use my new reel for salmon and big rockfish fishing. What kind of braid should I use, backing, and if so, top shot? Thanks!
2012 Hobie Revo 13
Intex Seahawk 2

Thank you all for your support!! I’m so glad to still be ALIVE!! Weather on land or water I LOVE YOU ALL!!

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I just back it with electrical tape then fill the line with powerpro slick braid. Seems to have worked well enough on all my reels so far.
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I just back it with electrical tape then fill the line with powerpro slick braid. Seems to have worked well enough on all my reels so far.

Yup, a little bit of electrical tape to keep it from slipping and then I use the regular power pro braid because I'm cheap.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
You could also spool 6" of mono then tie the braid to the mono.i like this method cause it doesn't leave any residue on the spool
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
As for braid, I like Sufix 832. For one thing, it doesn't seem to cut my skin quite so easily as some other brands (although, of course, you still need to be careful with it).
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
As for braid, I like Sufix 832. For one thing, it doesn't seem to cut my skin quite so easily as some other brands (although, of course, you still need to be careful with it).
Yes on the Sufix 832, for me 30ib in ghost
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

reelfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
You bought a bait casting reel that holds 12lb. max line and you want to catch salmon and big rockfish I hope you have plenty of skill with that combo. Salmon in open water should work o.k. but rockfish might be stretching its limits. Good luck.

StephKillsit

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
It worked ! Now I just need better braid because it either broke on fish teeth or the structures. So far love my new cheaply kastking reel! Fun fun catching rockfish and Lings!
2012 Hobie Revo 13
Intex Seahawk 2

Thank you all for your support!! I’m so glad to still be ALIVE!! Weather on land or water I LOVE YOU ALL!!

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
It worked ! Now I just need better braid because it either broke on fish teeth or the structures. So far love my new cheaply kastking reel! Fun fun catching rockfish and Lings!

Use mono-leader.  Braid is strong but breaks easy when nick.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I tried this method on how to spool braid on a baitcaster, and it seemed to work really well without the need for electrical tape:

And as far as the braid breaking off goes, add a top shot of mono to the end of your line, or use pre-tied leaders.  For the top shot most people start off with a uni-uni knot to join the lines together.  But an Alberto knot is my favorite so far, but a little harder to tie.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
And as far as the braid breaking off goes,............., or use pre-tied leaders.

I'm all for pre tied leaders. I use a 2 foot leader with a duo-lock on each end. I pre make a bunch of leaders and store them on an old fishing line spool. I tie a swivel on the end of my braid, then snap my leader on. On the other end I snap my jig on (or hook if you use bait). Anytime you break off or notice your leader is getting frayed you just unsnap it and attach a new one. Very little down time and you don't get seasick tying knots.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I tried this method on how to spool braid on a baitcaster, and it seemed to work really well without the need for electrical tape:

And as far as the braid breaking off goes, add a top shot of mono to the end of your line, or use pre-tied leaders.  For the top shot most people start off with a uni-uni knot to join the lines together.  But an Alberto knot is my favorite so far, but a little harder to tie.

+1  Great method for getting braid on a reel so it won't slip. And we use braid for almost all reels and a topshot. Double Uni to connect.

GoneSquatchin

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Okay, low-profile baitcast reels are designed for high diameter line (thinner line tends to wedge itself in the spool, making it easy to backlash) so anything under 30# is a no-go if you're using braided. I personally like to put layer of 12# mono for backing (since its about the same diameter), just thick enough to cover the spool, then tie on 50# power pro (not super slick, I'll get to that in a minute) with an FG knot or a double-uni knot. Then I basically fill the spool, and tie on a mono or fluoro leader that suits the situation.

The super slick power pro is absolutely tits; I love the stuff. The only reason I don't use it is because the most readily available color is like, highlighter green, which is fine in low-vis waters, but I took it out on a clear lake and was immediately like "NOPE!" Actually put that rod down and switched to a lighter spinning outfit for the rest of the day, because I could see my line going like 15 feet under the surface. The smoky gray fireline is pretty good too, but it tangles pretty easily. Honestly a full spool of 50# power pro original has treated me great and it's pretty smooth in my opinion.

Here is a source for any knot you might need while fishing:
http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/all_fishing_knots
Just mouse over each knot to see its purpose/use, and click it to get a diagram with step by step instructions and an animation of how to tie it. Hope this helps!

StephKillsit

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I have taken this Kast King Baitcaster reel out about 4 times in the salt and it so far has held up well! I caught 3 lings from 24-28in and just recently a 25in ling, along with some big rockfish. I have also pulled in a bat ray with it! For a cheap reel, it has done more then I had expected on 30lb braid. Not bad for a $40 reel. Just wanted to share :)

2012 Hobie Revo 13
Intex Seahawk 2

anything