Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:49:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 2016 Hobie Outback For Sale!  (Read 3388 times)

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
So I just bought this Outback from John, Yakhopper's buddy (the post is still viewable) about a week and a half ago.
I've been looking forward to finally finding a great deal on a pedal kayak, Outback to be exact, and finally did.
I took it out for the first time yesterday and I have to say, I'm not impressed. Other than the pedal feature, IMO, there are other kayaks out there that fit me best.
My mistake was not testing a kayak or going for a demo to find one that suits me.
I'm not knocking you folks with Outbacks because there are more of those on the water than my Malibu Stealth 12 but...its just not for me.
I paid $2000 for it. I'm not willing to take more than a $200 loss on it. $1800 and its yours.

2016 Hobie Outback
Comes with;
Bending Branches
 (230 Angler Classic Paddle)
Garmin Striker 5
Scotty Rod Holder
Ram Tube 2008
Richie compass
  (Installed on front hatch lid)
Aqua-Bound BilgeMaster
 (High Volume Pump)
Upgraded Rudder
Comes with ST Fins
 (Not Turbo) 

PM me if you are interested. pick-up in Daly City please.
thanks
Jeff
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:48:45 AM by Spring45 »

mendolunker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Do you have turbo fins on there?  Makes a world of difference.

Cheers,
Joseph
Team Fishizzle: 3rd place Rockfish Wars 2017

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
its not the pedal drive that turned me off. In fact, that was the only thing that I liked.
it's the pro's and con's aside from the pedal drive.
I think the Outback is just not for me.

mendolunker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Ah I got ya!  I am a revo guy... welcome to give my boat a try :)
Team Fishizzle: 3rd place Rockfish Wars 2017

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
NNNNOOOOO  !! I cant spend my kids Christmas gift money.....  ?????    :smt001   What a deal. If it wasn't so close to Christmas I would be all over this.
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I will try the revo. And again, its not the pedal drive, its the yak itself. The storage, hatches and stuff are not as easily accessible or abundant as my Malibu. If Hobie didn't invent that Mirage Drive...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:23:41 PM by Spring45 »

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I sill try the revo. And again, its not the pedal drive, its the yak itself. The storage, hatches and stuff are not as easily accessible or abundant as my Malibu. If Hobie didn't invent that Mirage Drive...
If you want to borrow a Native let me know. I'm not using mine right now and I have both the Manta Ray ($1999 MSRP) and the Slayer LT ($2599MSRP).  The Manta Ray is awesome and has good storage, as good as the OB but at a retail price that is manageable for almost anyone.  Our Pedal drives are different than Hobies for sure but the kayaks have some cool features.  The Malibu 12 does have a lot of interesting storage hatches though that most pedal drives won't be able to compete with.

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I sill try the revo. And again, its not the pedal drive, its the yak itself. The storage, hatches and stuff are not as easily accessible or abundant as my Malibu. If Hobie didn't invent that Mirage Drive...
If you want to borrow a Native let me know. I'm not using mine right now and I have both the Manta Ray ($1999 MSRP) and the Slayer LT ($2599MSRP).  The Manta Ray is awesome and has good storage, as good as the OB but at a retail price that is manageable for almost anyone.  Our Pedal drives are different than Hobies for sure but the kayaks have some cool features.  The Malibu 12 does have a lot of interesting storage hatches though that most pedal drives won't be able to compete with.

Thanks! I will research those and get back to you!

agoodhi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I will try the revo. And again, its not the pedal drive, its the yak itself. The storage, hatches and stuff are not as easily accessible or abundant as my Malibu. If Hobie didn't invent that Mirage Drive...

bro, you need the rectangular hatch installed and train yourself to only bring tackle you will actually use.  Revo will be worst, as far as storage... can't put a rectangular hatch on it.

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

bro, you need the rectangular hatch installed and train yourself to only bring tackle you will actually use.  Revo will be worst, as far as storage... can't put a rectangular hatch on it.
if the lay out of the outback you don't like,you will not like the revo,less space,less storage.maybe a pa12?and your right.most people that buy hobies are buying because of the drive.
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Idk guys. Yea, the rectangular hatch seems reasonable. I might have to think outside of the Hobie then. I'll rethink the Jackson Coosa with the FD. Or another foot propelled yak.

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015

Jeff, I'm a fly fisherman, and this advice is spot-on. "Less is more!"

Think about it.  When we go out, we are typically targeting a single fish type, and that means our kit is very simple.  A simple kit means less wasted time spent dwelling on this lure or that lure, we just get down to business and fish.  More hatches and gear does not = a better fisherman, only actual fishing time can do that.

My Revo-16 is about as space limited as you can get and I still managed to drop 2 crab traps and then fish all day long for RF's & Lings when we were up at TC.  Yes, it was a PITA to load it, but it was doable and I've done the same thing with 3 traps.  My Revo is fast and therefore allows me to cover a huge area -- hatches and cubby holes won't do that.

Comfort, speed, quality are what set Hobie's ahead of everything else.

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
I've owned a Malibu and a couple trident's before my Hobie Revo.

At first the space is an issue, but is quickly outweighed by the positives. I also stopped bringing my entire tackle box.

Life_is_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
I kinda agree with you.  I own an outback and I kinda hate the kayak in itself, but its the only boat I grab now.  I have a jackson Kraken, Manta Ray, and a sit in sport touring boat.  I like the layouts of the kraken and manta ray better.  I like a skinny boat.  But I love the Peddles.  Changing spots and retying at the same time.. priceless.  also holding on a spot in current or wind.. priceless I can't go back!