Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:32:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: WANTED: Looking for a new old school rig, 4X4, any opinions.  (Read 1832 times)

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I am considering a older Bronco (pre-77), or a FJ40 landcruiser. Anyone have another possibility, not to happy about selling my scout and looking for something comparable.

skyboy
Joe

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I've got a '78 Wagoneer that I'm trying to sell if you're interested...  Its in pretty good shape with a real strong motor...  It drove from Fresno to sac with no problems, I was chasing the wife who set the cruise at 65 on hwy 99.

did I mention, its got 20" rims on it...  LOL, I thought I was going to have time to play with it...   I was wrong.

all it needs to be a trail rig is one new leaf on each corner...  well, some big meats would help too....

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/379054530.html

Jim
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
rockfish, thank you for the suggestion, not really my style though.

skyboy
Joe

Frankfishing

Joe,
 Being a fellow Scout owner and loving it, I think that I would pick the Bronco. This would in fact be my truck of choice for the obvious reason, spare parts. I have always been a fan of their tranny set up w/ the three on the column plus their easy to trick out for what ever the use.What's you budget? I'll keep an eye open in this area. Frank

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
As a purely practical, low cost sort-of-old-school pre-77 bronco substitute, you might look at ford bronco II's. They have a similar look to the old ford SUV. I have an 84 that I have beat on plenty. I think anything after 86 will have fuel injection (2.9l though a 4.0l from an explorer is a bolt-in replacement)and modern things like front discs. The ttb front axle is not the greatest, but an upgrade can also come from any early model explorer and mild lifts are easy to find. I have 31" tires on mine with 3" of lift and fender flares and could easily fit 33's. You can usually find them around here for between 1-3k. I know they don't have the x-factor of the super cool LC's and early broncos, but they are cheap & easy to find.
Have fun in your search for your next cool ride!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
LOL, I thought everyone wanted DUB'S on their 4x4's these days   :smt002

Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

KayakJames

• Sea Lion
  • Yes it is good
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Rockfish,  I would lean towards a CJ jeep or Chevy blazer older bronco's don't have a very good track record for reliability, performance is OK stock and very expensive to trick out  plus early Ford engine small blocks  don't even make good anchors, however if it has a 390 460 or 300 strait 6 it could influence a lot, Remember all this is coming from a mechanic and I don't want to influence you in anyway if you have your heart set on the bronco.

I agree with Frank INT scout is as good as they come a few downfalls you really got to know what your doing to fix one up otherwise you end up with a calico 4x4, the hard part is finding one that has not been F@#@ed up by some wannabee gearhead.
  Good luck in your endeavors   

Also go for something pre75
Where did he go george

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
If you go for a Jeep CJ, don't even think about the 4 cylinder engine. It's gutless! I had one in 1980, and it was the slowest weakest piece of crap I ever drove. I have owned plenty of 4 bangers since then, and I like them all. Jeep just had no idea how to do it back then.

Rockfish,  I would lean towards a CJ jeep or Chevy blazer older bronco's don't have a very good track record for reliability, performance is OK stock and very expensive to trick out  plus early Ford engine small blocks  don't even make good anchors, however if it has a 390 460 or 300 strait 6 it could influence a lot, Remember all this is coming from a mechanic and I don't want to influence you in anyway if you have your heart set on the bronco.

I agree with Frank INT scout is as good as they come a few downfalls you really got to know what your doing to fix one up otherwise you end up with a calico 4x4, the hard part is finding one that has not been F@#@ed up by some wannabee gearhead.
  Good luck in your endeavors   

Also go for something pre75
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

iroelikethat

• Fish! It's whats for dinner!
  • Sea Lion
  • 42 in the left 38 in the right-Feather River
  • View Profile JeffE's Myspace Page
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
 :smt006
for what its worth, I had an 85 Blazer K5 up 05 , the gas $ was killin me... :smt010 sorry to see it go...it was a good hauler
V8Chevy, need I say more? Reliable! it got you there, ohh execpt the time I Broke a spring that keeps it out of 4wd while going down the highway by DonPedro once,  :smt044 that was scary, but other than that, it was pretty dependable.after I installed the warn locking hubs,  of course it was jacked up 4" 33"'s" on 17"' rims sw ranchos and eddlebrock intake w flow master exhaust.  rebuilt head. :smt004 ohh yeah, I remember now that I blew a thermostat  :smt013and then cracked the seal which caused me to get the head rebuilt....but other than that it was very reliable..  :smt002ohh yeah...... the one time..... :smt005 ITS A TRUCK, its like a boat it will keep taking your $$  but it wont sink (if you have it full of pool noodles.. haha :smt002
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. -Chinese proverb
South Bay Safety Squad - TEAM CAPTAIN  Screen name generator and General Instigator from Decatur

FKV-1 2005 Liquid Logic Manta Ray (Decommissioned)
FKV-2 2010 Hobie Outback (Decommissioned)
FKV-3 2014 Jackson Cuda (In-service)
FKV-4 2017 Hobie Outback (Inaugural Pacific Mission/ Christening - Albion- Aug 10th 2017)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I spent MANY years as an avid wheeler and here's my advice.  I had a sweet Scout for many years.

EBs and FJ40s looks great, but are now super pricey for one worth owning.  They also suck a LOT of fuel and are old and unreliable...BTDT.  They have been largely abandon by most hardcore 4x4 folks.

CJ's, and YJs are junk.  More flaws than positives.  Not just hating, they really do suck.  Weak frames, weak axles, and horrible ergonomics.  They look cool, but thats about it.

IMHO you would have all of the fun you're looking for with WAY less hassle and better MPG in a mid-80's Toyota 4-runner with the removable top.  85 and later have EFI and are preferred.  These rigs are DEAD reliable and extremely durable.

A low buck alternative is a Suzuki Samurai.  Laugh all you want, these things are cheap, light, frugal and largely bombproof.  The choppy ride is readily fixed with better springs.  A mildly built Zuk will go anywhre your likely to want to go and deliver 20+ mpg.

When I ditched my Scout I built a zuk and absolutely loved it.  I pounded the SHIT out of it on the hardest trails in the world and it never broke...impressive.  You can see old write ups on my Zuk here...http://suzuki.off-road.com/Project+Samyota

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I have not read the entire thread , But, My Brother up in Washington has a .. I think.. a 75 Bronco that is totally

Crack Head...... My Bro used to build jeeps from the ground up...Ted Nugent really liked it,  long story....

I don't know what is actually going on with it right now other than i know he is ready to sell it, probably cheap, 

Way to much trouble with the local Po Po,

And he just got his Harly Davidson F250............. :smt013 !@%#*&!!@!!

It's a total hot rod deal that needs a paint job, It's got crazy power and sounds like a beast,

so not a commuter :smt005

let me know if your interested and I'll talk to the " Wild Man " :tongue2: and see whats up........Danglin
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:48:42 PM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

anything