Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:52:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Nets  (Read 2133 times)

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

If you get a net with a nice deep bag (you should!) I recommend either buying a Scotty Netminder (Google it) or coming up with a home brew solution like I did to keep the big floppy bag in check.

My solution is simple... Tie a loop of shock cord tightly around your net handle. Tie a short section of shock cord to the bottom of your bag. Tuck the tag end under the loop and pull it snug.

This keeps the bag from flopping around in the wind, or getting all tangled up when you dip it in the water. As soon as the fish is in there and you lift up, the bag breaks loose and you’re good to go....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I bring a folding net in case of a silver or short, but have no intention of using a net on a keeper fish. I gaff everything. Seen too many heart breaks at the net. The rules say you have to have a minimun 18" net. (for release of former mention on board) Doesn't say you have to use it. I don't get why some folks have an issue with gaffing salmon? I have fewer loss at the leader issues, no tangles, swift and effective, no hassle. That's all the commercial guys use. Now if I'm going out in pac hali season, I will also have a harpoon buoy system aboard.... Also, if your going to release a silver or under size, there is no gentler way than to hook the leader and slide down to the hook. Little tug is all it takes. Never even have to touch em.

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
A rubber band or two slid up the handle, then tuck the excess net under the rubber band to keep it tight and out of the way. When a fish hits the net the rubber band will either break or the net will slide out. Cheap and easy.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Live2Fish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
A rubber band or two slid up the handle, then tuck the excess net under the rubber band to keep it tight and out of the way. When a fish hits the net the rubber band will either break or the net will slide out. Cheap and easy.
i like this hack.  Have to try it.  Windy days I leave my net ready to go flat on the front deck.   

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
i like this hack.  Have to try it.  Windy days I leave my net ready to go flat on the front deck.
hahahaha I'm the only one sucker that bought this... :smt044

http://scotty.com/product/no-210-net-minder/

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
hahahaha I'm the only one sucker that bought this... :smt044

http://scotty.com/product/no-210-net-minder/
But...did it work for you?

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I wouldn’t say you’re a sucker. I’ve heard those work very well.

I was going  to buy one, too, but ended up trying my home brewed solution because it wasn’t going to ship in time for me to use it...

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I bring a folding net in case of a silver or short, but have no intention of using a net on a keeper fish. I gaff everything. Seen too many heart breaks at the net. The rules say you have to have a minimun 18" net. (for release of former mention on board) Doesn't say you have to use it. I don't get why some folks have an issue with gaffing salmon? I have fewer loss at the leader issues, no tangles, swift and effective, no hassle. That's all the commercial guys use. Now if I'm going out in pac hali season, I will also have a harpoon buoy system aboard.... Also, if your going to release a silver or under size, there is no gentler way than to hook the leader and slide down to the hook. Little tug is all it takes. Never even have to touch em.
I use a LONG and flexible fiberglass rod for salmon. It’s much easier for me to net them 4-5 feet away from the kayak than try to high-stick them right up to the kayak within gaff range.

I can only recall losing one fish at the net (out of who knows how many...). It just wasn’t hooked well.

But hey. If the gaff works for you, go for it!

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
When deciding about this, give these a thought -
A couple of quotes:

Yakhopper -
"Halibut come in many sizes, don't be caught short netted!
Hali nets should be at least 26-30 inches minimum.
Also make sure it has a deep bag, too shallow and you will have them flipping out with ease.
Last thing to mention, most larger nets come with a longer handle making them difficult to handle from a kayak. Practice holding it from different lengths, than when you feel comfortable, cut the butt section off and reuse the end cap/grip.
Now practice handling the net on the water so you don't tangle up when it's time to land that big one.
Good luck,
;0) "

From AbKing -
"Not having a big enough net is probably the number one way to lose what would've been a lifetime catch.  If you fish the ocean then you are potentially going to hook and fight a halibut, salmon or lingcod that goes 30 to 50 pounds - losing it because your net is too small is a sad story to live through.  Best of luck.  :smt001"
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
When I do use a large net I always have a couple heavy duty rubber bands on the shaft to tuck all the excess netting into. It looks a lot like a lacrosse net. Guide the fishes head right to the base of the net hoop. That way when the netting pulls out he's right in the middle. When swooping him, remember to drop the rod as you lift. That helps him dive right into the net. Lifting both at the same time (a natural thing to do) can lead to him bolting, and possibly over shooting your net. Multi hooks can now leave him hanging on the outside of the rim. A sure way to heartbreak...