Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: How do you GOOP a transducer inside an OK Trident hull?  (Read 3214 times)

PortageeYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Tinker,

I use the silicone that is made to seal windows. It is made to withstand the elements. My Father is a mason and has used it for years on external jobs and recommended it to me. Homedepot or any hardware store carries this type 2 silicone! Works great for me hopefully it'll work great for you!

Thanks,
PY
Where there is a Portagee there is fish!!!

Tinker

PY, I read this when you posted it, but forgot to thank you.  Thanks!

PortageeYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Glad to help brother! Good Luck and Happy Fishing!

Thanks,
PY
Where there is a Portagee there is fish!!!

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

Tinker

The Humminbird XTH 9 20 fits the transducer scupper pocket, but you get about 30' of cable to deal with, plus where once you could get a transducer exchange from Humminbird, now you must buy the proper transducer.

The adapter for a Lowrance transducer - I've only seen one that had been installed - leaves the transducer proud of a Trident hull, and like the XTH 9 20 you have a lot of excess cable to deal with.  I'm known to make graceful skidding landings on beaches, and I'd rather not be dragging a transducer in the sand when I do.  Or dragging it on anything, to be honest.

Mounting in the hull is a "cleaner" looking installation IMHO, and protects the transducer.

Mounting in-hull also allows me to secure the extra cable below deck, and except for a slight deviation in actual v. displayed water temperature readings, it has a negligible - essentially no - effect on transducer performance.  I've watched side-by-side tests that show a slight loss of down-scan imaging detail with a through-hull mount, but not enough to concern me.  YMMV.

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt044

How can you forget to bring water for the transducer?  IT is inside a kayak right?    You're going to launch it at some point on water.

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

Tinker

The last time I left the water at home before asking this question was the day I was fishing in truly muddy - practically spoon-able - water.  That was as good a time as any to say, "Enough is, by God, enough!"   :smt003
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:06:01 AM by Tinker »

poulton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Why goop when you can mount a external Transducer ??

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

See response #34.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Tinker

See response #34.

If you mean something like a Scotty transducer arm, another reason that won't work for me is that I fly fish. I'm constantly casting a long line and leader, and the cable run, the mount, and the arm are just more things to reach out and snag my fly line or leader - but I'd view a transducer arm quite differently if I still fished with conventional gear.  Thanks for the suggestion.  It may not work for me, but it could help others.

There's a NWKA member who uses super-strong rare earth magnets inside his hull to hold a fully submerged DIY transducer arm to his kayak, keeping the slack cable inside the hull.  That's always looked interesting to me, but if I'm too stupid to remember to bring a tiny bottle of water with me, I'll surely forget the magnets.   :smt001
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:26:39 AM by Tinker »

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
The Humminbird XTH 9 20 fits the transducer scupper pocket, but you get about 30' of cable to deal with, plus where once you could get a transducer exchange from Humminbird, now you must buy the proper transducer.

The adapter for a Lowrance transducer - I've only seen one that had been installed - leaves the transducer proud of a Trident hull, and like the XTH 9 20 you have a lot of excess cable to deal with.  I'm known to make graceful skidding landings on beaches, and I'd rather not be dragging a transducer in the sand when I do.  Or dragging it on anything, to be honest.

Mounting in the hull is a "cleaner" looking installation IMHO, and protects the transducer.

Mounting in-hull also allows me to secure the extra cable below deck, and except for a slight deviation in actual v. displayed water temperature readings, it has a negligible - essentially no - effect on transducer performance.  I've watched side-by-side tests that show a slight loss of down-scan imaging detail with a through-hull mount, but not enough to concern me.  YMMV.
Fair enough, especially on points of image quality and lowrance units sitting proud of the hull. My Humminbird unit is flush and personally I have had no problems with bumping or scraping. The OK T-13 has a slot for the cable to run through the hull, the excess is coiled inside. No problems with cable management for me. There is literally nothing that could get hung up on a fly rod. To each his own. I am learning there are about 12 ways to do the same thing when it comes to kayak fishing. It comes down to preference.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

Tinker

To cast a stupid fly, I have 20 to 30 feet of line plus six to ten feet of leader out of the rod.  It doesn't take much to create a problem if I flub a cast - which I'll never admit to doing.

That 13 inches of exposed cable between the scupper and the sonar pod probably wouldn't be a problem if I used spinning gear or casting gear or went out jigging, but I don't use real gear, and flies can (do) get into the darnedest places.

I have no doubt there are a lot of people who are much more accomplished at flinging flies from a kayak than me, but until I am as graceful as are they, I need to work within my limitations.  Or I get to spend the day shouting at snagged flies using words you'll never hear in Sunday school.  BTDT, more than once.

And honestly, I don't want 28 feet of cable coiled up inside the sonar pod, even with cable ties to keep it neatly coiled.  Coiled and tied, the only thing I can use to secure the coil is the fish finder mount.  Certainly the coiled cable wouldn't be something I'd routinely snag, but it would offend my sense of esthetics. :smt003
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:51:36 PM by Tinker »