Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: NEED HELP--Took my Hobie Island to dealer and they DAMAGED IT  (Read 5812 times)

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Just to be fair, I recently had a very positive experience with CCK in Oakland.  I took my 6 year old Mirage drive in to CCK for a tune up.  They inspected it and informed me that It needed no work and charged me nothing.  Unfortunately, good experiences with retailers/shops are not often shared.  I hope you are able to resolve your issue.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
What is the preferred solution, from the customer's point of view?
I assume it's to have the kayak shop repair the damage.
And that appears to be happening now.
So, case closed?
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
So, case closed?

Yeah Pat and please lock this topic. 
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
So, case closed?

usually three warranty options.  1) refund, 2) replace, or 3) repair to merchantable condition, or customer's satisfaction.  Have not see any of them undertaken.

re: repair, anyone who has worked rotomolded PE knows that heat degrades the substrate.  true, most gouges and scratches are cosmetic... until they are more than cosmetic...

repairs of any kind to a boat are sure to diminish the resale value, is that accounted for?  Ppl usually accept ordinary wear and tear hull scratches.  Gouges and dents is a different story ...

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
The bad part here is ,
Nobody mentioned damage when yak arrived at shop (have to assume no damage) then nobody mentioned damage when picked up ( have to assume still no damage. Days later customer finds damage ....
It is very possible that that damage could have occurred when in either parties possession.
CCK sure could have shown more compassion for a valued customer, but customer also needs to accept possibility of fault. 
Looking at photos provided, there was definitely a major impact that may have occured anywhere ...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hobie Outback (dune)

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
The bad part here is ,
Nobody mentioned damage when yak arrived at shop (have to assume no damage) then nobody mentioned damage when picked up ( have to assume still no damage. Days later customer finds damage ....
It is very possible that that damage could have occurred when in either parties possession.
CCK sure could have shown more compassion for a valued customer, but customer also needs to accept possibility of fault. 
Looking at photos provided, there was definitely a major impact that may have occured anywhere ...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yup ! That really sucks. Someone knows what happened and wont man up. . Had someone clip the passenger side of my crv at santa cruz harbor. No note, nothing. Real piece of work.

Some people just have no clue. I am standing in line at harbor freight just now. This MORON of a dad is letting his kid run wild in the store unattended. The guy is next in line to pay for his stuff. Right in front of him the kid is turning on every triangle shaped portable light. Like 10 of them. Dude just stares at them and doesn't bother shutting them off. Guy was stoned out of his mind.  :smt013  :smt013

Rant over 

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
^ Nailed it. Claimant carries burden and When evidence is equipoise the claimant loses.  Take what u can get from the shop or Hobie. Then call it a day.  Sorry but thats claimants bad for not documenting and complaining condition immediately before and immediately after, shitty as bizniz's attitude may seem.

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Right here:

I forgot to mention. I did take it back after the sent and AM NOT PiCKING IT BACK UP like that. I documented prior and after  pictures and the emails I have. I went with a friend both times and they are witness to it.

If he went with his friend to drop it off and no one said anything about any damage to the boat at that time, then went to pick it up with the same friend and found all this damage, I find it hard to not believe him. 
[/quote]

Thanks Al,,, You know how I feel about CCK,,, but here's the thing.  He didn't mention anything about his friend being with him in the original post. 
    So,,, Two people were there when he picked it up.. neither of them noticed any damage.   Who knows.. either way it's not a "warranty" claim.   That would have been the time to point out a damage claim.  He didn't say how much time passed before  he  made this claim, just it was dry.   I'm not an attorney, but I'd be willing to bet in small claims he'd lose.

CCK offered to repair it ...Free !   This long before this post.  The post just seems to be a way of leveraging the retailer to "give me what I want" or else....      He asked what we think is fair...     I think he should accept responsiblity for not inspecting his kayak at the time of pick-up.   Especially if there were two sets of eyes.. Next, graciously accept CCK's offer for the repair.
    Hahaha... we should have a "Vote" !

Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.