Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Soloing a TI regularly?  (Read 2651 times)

Sunburned

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
My concern is wife and/or daughter lose interest, etc. and I'm stuck mainly soloing a TI (rather than the lighter AI) a majority of the time.

On the hobie forums a lot of folks regularly do and prefer them, but I noticed most are in the gulf.

Anyone soloing one here in open ocean or know of anyone doing so?  Thoughts?

Thanks

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
My thought is that my 2015 AI is a bitch and a half to transport as it is, I couldn't imagine doing a TI by myself.
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
My thought is that my 2015 AI is a bitch and a half to transport as it is, I couldn't imagine doing a TI by myself.

+1

I have a 2014 AI which is lighter than the 2015 and it's still a lot to deal with, transportation-wise. I'd think a TI solo would only make sense if you always trailer it and launch from ramps.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Sunburned

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I should have phrased my question better(I'm no poet): Ease of Soloing a TI; once it's on the water.

I don't know how much of a disadvantage a trailer would be to accessing fishing grounds compared to what one could carry an AI to? 
I would trailer an AI as well.  Eventually add a lighter kayak to toss in the truck -- I see where this is going :D

Thanks for your help,

Mark

changsc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I should have phrased my question better(I'm no poet): Ease of Soloing a TI; once it's on the water.

I don't know how much of a disadvantage a trailer would be to accessing fishing grounds compared to what one could carry an AI to? 
I would trailer an AI as well.  Eventually add a lighter kayak to toss in the truck -- I see where this is going :D

Thanks for your help,

Mark
I solo my TI regularly in SF Bay - mostly out of Berkeley. I've never sailed an AI. I have no issues controlling the TI and like having the option of bringing along a guest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunburned

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Change: thanks for the info.  Ever solo on open water, and if so any issues?

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Shifra Sea and I were shopping for the 2015/16 TI. We had planned to buy it until I did a side by side comparison of lifting and pressing the AI and TI over my head. AI was easy to lift and car top by myself. TI was super heavy and unbalanced.

So we decided to go with AI since I didn't want to haul a trailer. I use the AI the most so we decided to go that route since cart topping is easier for me.

Shifra Sea comes out with me every other trip so I decided to build her a custom seating area behind me while we are moving and fishing. She easily move over to the trampolines when she wants to stretch out and kickback. We have have practiced and took the AI with the two of us at ARW twice and Tamales Bay. She has gotten good at moving around and standing up with ease. It's very ease to pedal the Mirage Drive with the new longer ST Fins, put on many miles with the both of us on the AI on the past 3 trips. We found that when sailing the AI it was better for her to sit right in front of me, from there she can move from trampoline to trampoline when needed.

Thanks to Hobie for the taller, longer, and more buoyant 2015/16. Far easier to have the two of us on this than the older AI.

Here are photos of the V1 seating area I built for her. I have since revamped and improved the design. V2 seating area now has full adjustability (raising, lowering, sliding back and forth, inflatable padded seat cushion and a place for her to plant her feet.) Still Have room to store gear under the seat and pack a small cooler behind her. Install and unistall is a whole lot faster now thanks to custom PatR mounts.

Currently building and molding a custom live well bait tank out of fiberglass that will mount of the side of the AI attached to the front and rear aka bars. water will circulate without the use of a pump and have a Hobie circular or rectangular hatch on top to access bait. Will be in the shape of the Amas but wider. Won't be ready for Albion though. Just for local Bay use.

2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Hobie Adventure Island
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2019 Stealth Powerfisha 16
2020 Solo Skiff

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Wow Ariel, that is pretty cool  :smt003
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Sunburned

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
cool pics and thoughts between the two kayaks.  That's an innovative idea about the live-well.  I wonder if one on each side would be more balanced? 

Friend's dad had a live bait-well on the back of his pwrboat in the 80's.  It was a heavy tarp material bag with grommets to let in water. It seemed to work well, except at high speed it beat the bait to death  :smt012  I think we water-skied that day.

I think it boils down to: I have no idea how often wife and/or kiddo will come along, so I haven't a clue.  I'm pretty sure daughter will go out, until I'm "not cool" to hang out with; so about 10 years. 
 --  :smt001now the outback, camo wetsuit and speargun looks fun, but fubars the family fishing thing . . .
analysis paralysis (eye roll)

changsc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Change: thanks for the info.  Ever solo on open water, and if so any issues?

Yes, but only HMB. It's easier than SF Bay - just know the weather/tides/currents and where the rocks are.

JimmyD

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
I would like a seat like that on the AI. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Ariel does the main sheet line bother Shifra when you guys are sailing that seat is very cool  :smt023

PatR

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Ariel does the main sheet line bother Shifra when you guys are sailing that seat is very cool  :smt023

PatR

Same question (and comment)...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

TW

• Sea Lion
  • daleshark
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
NorCal HOW Volunteer

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak T13

2015 Forbay  Fish N Chill Storm Trooper .
2017 Berry Slam Fish N Chill Storm Trooper.

TW

• Sea Lion
  • daleshark
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
NorCal HOW Volunteer

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak T13

2015 Forbay  Fish N Chill Storm Trooper .
2017 Berry Slam Fish N Chill Storm Trooper.