Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:23:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:57:41 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: so what's the final verdict on the stealth 12?  (Read 3627 times)

barndoor

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
The kayak I've been using is on loan so I will have to give it back eventually.  It is a bit bothersome since it isn't mine so I can't make any mods at all.  I've seen the stealth 12 in person and it looks great but all the most recent reviews seem to be a couple years old.  Presumably the leak issues have been fixed?  Or no?  What else?  What shouldn't I get this kayak?  I like compartments close at hand and the weight since many launches will be solo.  I don't really need the live bait but I like the size of that compartment right there, and having the option for live bait would be great for the future.   Any more recent feedback on these kayaks?

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Here's my feedback on my 2010 Stealth 14 I bought used from a member of NCKA.  This model had the modifications done for the "leaky hatches".  You will notice that most of the reports on all the various sites, are from the same person or same thread re-poosted site-to-site in an attempt to be "pissed" at Malibu.  I have personally had correspondence with the sales representative for Malibu prior to buying this one new.  They were responsive to questions I had for the first e-mail but have never replied to any questions there after; good or bad - I'm undecided on that.

I took water over the bow during my last trip and had only trace amounts of water in the hull at the end of the day.  Most of the water that does get into the hull happend when you open the little "glove box" units on the side and any water trapped between the door and the gasket rolls it.  I too didn't have a need for the lifewell but it makes a great place to store tackle.  The 'T' handles are a plus.  I don't like "gear hammocks" and access ports that require lids to be unscrewed or buckles undone -- just my opinion.  The 14 is a bit heavy when trying to pack it or rooftop while fully loaded -- I will state this as I load it on my car FULLY equipped with battery, fishfinder, gps, safety gear, paddle, rods, lunch, etc....  You get the idea.  Mine is plumbed with the lifewell equipment which has some weight.  The 12 would most likely have been a better choice BUT I felt the extra length would be nice for open water.  Verdict is still out on that one.  I did add a "gas pedal" rudder lit -- what a PAIN but I will save that for another e-mail.  I also added the Suft To Summit GTS Expedition Kayak Seat.  Worth the $200!!!

Stability of the boat is good if you stay in the region of the seat or the livewell.  Venture further forward and the stability decreases fast on the 14.  I like the option for the X-Wing but I am not all that sure I need it now.  Would be nice but another item to add weight to the kayak.  Have not tried diving from it yet.  Lots of room in the rear well and I like the rear storage copartment in the rear well.

Bottomline ... I think a few jaded people and a new product that needed to have a few kinks worked out in the beginning set a bad stage for them to grow from.

barndoor

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
Thanks for that!  I had my suspicions with the reviews I was seeing.  Most were old and bad.  They  had such a similar tone that it made me question wether or not I should take them too seriously.  My question stemmed more from the fact that it would appear that most people are buying ocean kayaks and hobies, so I wondered why such silence on the stealth, which at least to this newbie seemed like a pretty good kayak.   Maybe those other brands have a longer history and people are more inclined to stick with what they know, or are they really that much better?   I can say that one thing I hate about my loaner kayak is lack of storage.  There is a hatch waaaaaaay up front but the yak is not all that stable so I probably wouldn't venture up there.  The three storage areas right in front of you on the stealth make it very attractive.   More opinions welcome!

Rick

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Honda (ocean) Toyota (wilderness) Others are like Hyundai some are like Dawoo, some are like a Ferrari  :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 Paddle them all and decide from there. It is all about personal taste. I prefer the wilderness systems 140-160 's Just a preference, comfort, safety, thing. Get one!!! Get started bolting stuff on that thing!!! :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
That's the beauty of kayaking .... to each their own.  Some like the sail drive systems, some like the actual sails!  Sometimes it comes down to $$$  If you like it and it fit's your needs then I'd say it's the kayak for you! :smt006

anything