Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:15:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New Style Danielson "Deluxe" Trap  (Read 1455 times)

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I was wondering if anyone has seen this trap in a store for sale. I had a quick look at one and thought I could find one no problem but I haven't had any luck. It has a blue coating on the cage,  the doors are wider than the original with florescent hinges , and it has a top door which is great. I know the Promar has a top hatch but I think this one is larger.

http://www.fishermans-marine.com/danielson-deluxe-folding-crab-trap.html

I saw one at Sportsman's Warehouse however it had line, a float, gauge and whatever. I don't need all that stuff so I am looking for just the trap. I'm heading up north next week and will stop by Outdoor Pro and Sprotsman's Warhouse and see if they have just the trap for sale. I'll post back if I find one but if someone knows where I can pick one up let me know.

Tinker

Wal-Mart carries them up here in Oregon.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
i got mine at guns fishing and other stuff.  OPS will carry them also.

But some of the serious crabbers i know say they like the older model better, less crab leaking.

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I have one for sale. Use only one time @ San Jose.
For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for the shopping tips. I wish I was going to San Jose, I don't get down there much. I will find one somewhere.

When I saw the larger doors I thought that might let crabs out easier. That's the only reason I could see for the leaking problem. Once I get one I will look at closing down the door opening if it is a problem. I really like the fact it has a large top hatch to get crabs out.  I use one of those collapsible round traps and it is a pain to get crabs out of it because of the netting but they do work and don't take up much room. With the Danileson's all you have to do is shake the trap a bit and they go sliding around.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Thanks for the shopping tips. I wish I was going to San Jose, I don't get down there much. I will find one somewhere.

When I saw the larger doors I thought that might let crabs out easier. That's the only reason I could see for the leaking problem. Once I get one I will look at closing down the door opening if it is a problem. I really like the fact it has a large top hatch to get crabs out.  I use one of those collapsible round traps and it is a pain to get crabs out of it because of the netting but they do work and don't take up much room. With the Danileson's all you have to do is shake the trap a bit and they go sliding around.
There's a lot to it.  They have 4 unweighted doors, and they can swing open in the current.  best to weight the doors a bit if you can. 

Honestly, from a kayak I've learned that short soaking with ambush style traps work the best. They stack decent if you're trying to use more than 1, and the conical shape prevents crabs from escaping too easily.  If you're doing overnights then maybe danielsons.  If you're doing long soaks, danielsons with weighted doors and zip-tying 1 or two doors shut can prevent leaking.  There's also an issue people mention with the new style danielsons digging into the sand and preventing the doors from opening, as the bottom prongs for the door stick down a little low on the trap and can get stuck in the sand.  Some of the crabbers have decided to clip the bottom of the doors to prevent that from happening. I did it to one of my traps but it was such a PITA I gave up on doing the rest.  I have a ton of the new style around that you're welcome to borrow and try out if you want. They're sitting in my storage unit in Pleasanton until next Nov.

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
bmb, thanks for the offer and advice on the new traps. I am probably not going to do much crabbing until next season especially with ling cod opening soon. I just saw one and it stuck in my head so I have to have one and rig it up for next season. On my Danielson's I put 4 small diving weights in the corners and add weight to the doors. I have never messed with the doors so thanks for the tip. I have some small bolt cutters that will cut that rod easily. It's fun rigging stuff up.

I will drop them, then check them when heading in, then drop them and check them the next day. I usually only get a one or two on the first check but overnight is the big difference. I had 9 legal on one pull (that was a mother pulling at 90 feet!) and average over 5. Another thing that I think has helped is to cut up squid and mackerel, freeze it in one of those plastic beer cups, then put it in a bait jar so it sends out a scent nice and slow. I also have switched to one of these: http://willapamarineproducts.com/softbaitbagwithsnap.aspx  That thing works great, the crab pinch it and get some and I think it sends out a scent trail also. I attach that to the top of the trap so those sand fleas cant get to it easily.

I have used those "pyramid" style traps and haven't had much luck with them for some reason. You really have to keep a strain on them and keep pulling  or the crabs can float out. I just gave my friend his two back.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I have 2 of them. They sell door weights that clip on. Super easy to work with and only little crabs are able to get out. Without door weights, opening in current, would be a problem. I even attached a crab Gauge to each trap so I wouldn't  have to fumble for it. (keep one in the Yak too, to be legal) :smt005
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:38:14 PM by Weimarian »
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

anything