Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:52:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: kayak fishing terms?  (Read 2110 times)

vince650

Hi guys, I am pretty much new to all of this kayak fishing stuff, so I was wondering what all the terms mean?
1. Mooching
2. trolling
3. jigging
and if I missed a few important terms pls list them as well. Thanks Vince

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
1. Mooching: 1) drifting for Salmon usually over bait balls 2) Bumming stuff off your friends.

2. Trolling: 1) Paddling with a line out pulling lure or bait behing you

3. Jigging: Like mooching but you are generally closer to or hitting the bottom

Bonus word Trooching: Mooching for salmon while keeping the kayak moving forward on a slow "troll" Line stays fairly vertical

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Vince,

These terms aren't particular to kayak fishing.

1.) Mooching is a technique of fishing for Salmon where you use bait and barbless circle hooks while drifting.  Basically you have your rod, the main fishing line straight down at the depth you think the fish are, a sinker, followed by a bit of leader and a barbless circle hook with an anchovy or herring bait attached.   The fisherman either lets it rest there or does a bit of "jigging" (see #3) until a fish bits.  With circle hooks you don't set the hook, rather you actually wait for the fish to set the hook themselves.

2.)  Trolling... can be used for a variety of fish.  Basically a lure or bait is cast behind you, you let out a bit more line, place your rod in a rod holder and paddle along.  How deep your lure/bait is is a factor of paddling speed, amount of line out and any weight added to the line.  When a fish bites you stop paddling and catch your fish.

3.)  Jigging... is a form of vertical fishing (i.e. straight down).  A lure (a jig) is dropped straight down towards the bottom and jigged (wiggled) up and down in front of the fish.  Sometimes you jig right on the bottom, sometimes you're well above the bottom.  Sometimes you hardly wiggle the lure at all, sometimes you move the jig up and down the water column by actually reeling in and then letting it drop back down (this is called yo-yoing).

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
speaking of terms....I think NCKA should develope it's own unique language - especially when we are communicating via VHF.......

"jack be nimble, jack be quick" - means DFG is is on your tail...make sure you are within your rockfish limits.

" :smt097" means "keep your distance, you are fishing too close to me"

"HULI KA!" - means "FISH ON!!"....a code used if you not want to alert the Power Boaters who are within sight and who listening in on VHF Channel 69  :smt002

"I found NEMO" means I found a school of bait fish

"Hail Mary" means I need help because: I lost my paddle / I can't see, there's sunscreen all over my eyes / I'm too tried to paddle back, call the Coast Guard / mooch took my last bait, some one please spot me a few / I'm on my last Heineken, please spot me another six pack.........

"The Eagle has Landed" means you succesfully landed your kayak without a yard sale

"yard sale" when you flip your kayak on the surf and all your tackle is spread out all over the shore line

"Mission Control" means my wife just called and wants me out of the water RIGHT NOW

"the cow jumped over the moon" means the fishing is wide open!!!

any others?

vanim

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005

"F.A.C"........(Flat Ass Calm)
"underling".........(ling cod under legal size)
"chumming".........(seasick)
"I timed my launch to take advantage of the tide shift"...........(I slept in)

vanim

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
"I timed my launch to take advantage of the tide shift"...........(I slept in)

sounds like a "Brain G." thing  :smt003

vince650

dang, didnt know there were this many terms to remember! Thanks for all the info guys! I guess the next thing to buy is a radio.

anything