Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Cobra "Fisherman"  (Read 6385 times)

Jeremy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
Does anyone know anything about the Cobra Fisherman? I saw one in the small Bair Island harbor in Redwood City about a week ago and didn't recognize the name. It's made on the same hull as the Fish n Dive and the Tandem. Instead of having a tank well in the rear like the Fish N Dive it has one of those 7 latch A hatches. Maybe a circular hatch in the middle. Having that A hatch behind the seat seems practically useless, so I wouldn't be surprised if this style didn't last more than one production run.

Maybe I'll go out for a paddle later today and get a photo :)

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Their site says:

Capacity 2450 lbs.  WTF???????

Jeremy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Definitely wasn't the PRO fisherman! Seemed like it was at least 10 years old. The "Fisherman" logo had this design around it that reminded me of the OK Drifter Angler.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:45:01 PM by jjjjeremy »

Cowman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Their site says:

Capacity 2450 lbs.  WTF???????

1 kayak(size) fits all  :smt044
2015 Hobie Revo

- Dan C.

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Not 100% positive but I thought they only made a few then redesigned the maurader instead. This was a few years ago.

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
An decent boat, but not sure why they put the square hatch behind the seat. F&D 34' beam -Marauder 31" beam- Pro fisherman 29" beam. Guess they were responding to requests for something faster and lighter than the Marauder. More for use as a freshwater boat ?. Came out in 2009 /2010. One was first prize at the last of the HMB Kayaks tournaments
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • put the lotion in the basket
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
that picture looks cool

but fwiw
the hull bottom design does not look like my fish-n-dive...the outline /shape from underneath whatever...looks longer and sleeker....lots of boxes and seams  :smt009....
my cobra fish-n-dives both seep a bit of water into the inside over a long day...drain a gallon 'or more' it seems most of the time.....makes dragging them onto the high tide line full of gear and fish pretty hard after a long day...have to drain them before I can carry or even drag them up too far and they  still kind of finish dripping out all over my car all the way home....maybe all kayaks do this? I know cobras do  :smt005

my only gripe with my cobras

I am just thinking of that when I see the extra hatches in those pics...seems the dont seal any rivets or hatches with much pride at the cobra factory...maybe re-do mine one day...not a ton of water,,,but enough for a brand new yak to have inside imo
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Jeremy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yeah, that photo is of the newer "Pro" fisherman, a completely different kayak. The "Fisherman" is on the same hull as the Fish n Dive and Tandem. It looks just like a fish n dive except instead of a rear tank well it has a hatch.

cajun

• ACA Instructor/Guide
  • Salmon
  • NOR CAL
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Had a Pro Fisherman for about a month.Would not recommend it. The side rectangle hatches filled with water, low sides, minimal rocker and    leaky all around... trey were trying to compete with the trident/ tarpon style kayaks.
Sponsored by: Pacific Outfitters, Native kayaks, Seeker rods. Seigler reels, b2 Squid, Promar. Stohlquist, Lingcod jigs.

Jeremy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Here's a photo of the kayak I'm talking about. "Fisherman" is right beneath the Cobra logo. The setup looks completely inconvenient for any type of fishing. Maybe better for touring, but it's pretty stubby and doesn't have a forward hatch for distributing a load. No wonder they aren't well known!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:38:56 PM by jjjjeremy »

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
boy at that angle it does look kind of like a fish-n-dive...
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

― Kurt Vonnegut

Jeremy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
boy at that angle it does look kind of like a fish-n-dive...

That's what caught my eye when I saw it but was really confused by the setup. For those that own them, that's the same hull as the Fish N Dive and Cobra Tandem, right? I had a tandem briefly, and the hull looks spot on from what I remember. Can't quite figure out why they would make a kayak like that, though, and call it a "Fisherman" either. No rod holders, no place for a tackle box or crate, pretty sparse on rigging, can't get to anything in that rear hatch while on the water, can't fit a rod through that center hatch, etc etc....

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
then just get a fish n dive...plenty of load capacity like 550-600 lbs ...big center hatch as well as under seat and front hatch...front seat for emergency rides or kids /dogs...big flat deck for gear...rod holders (4 on the newer ones) huge back storage....oh and they pretty much cant be tipped over...they do take on a bit of water over a long day,at least my two do....like a gallon some days...

no jokes about my gearing ,this was my second time ever fishing in an ocean kayak in the picture

just trying to show how flat the deck is and how much storage and stability they have

folks say there slow,but when the fishing boats and whale boats or big swell go by...dont even bother to worry..it goes right over it imo

― Kurt Vonnegut

Jeremy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yeah, I'm not interested in that kayak, just confused that it exists! Such a funny configuration to market as a "Fisherman"!

The FnD is a great boat, and was on my short list for kayaks to watch out for when I was looking for a new-to-me kayak. Never got to paddle a FnD, but spent enough time in the solo configuration on the Tandem that I got a feel for what a solo would be like on that hull. Super solid, and nice big capacity for a big boy like me!

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I have two,next time your down this way feel free to p.m and it's yours for the day with gear...anytime

― Kurt Vonnegut