Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Through hull, Kraken 13.5 + Hook 5  (Read 1169 times)

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Has anyone done this, if so, where did you mount the transducer? I don't really want to use the scupper hole for various reasons, the biggest of which is the potential for damage. It won't be recessed, not even flush. The only suitable flat spot I can find is in the stern of the boat, I'm just wondering if anyone else found anything else.

Thanks in advance!

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Has anyone done this, if so, where did you mount the transducer? I don't really want to use the scupper hole for various reasons, the biggest of which is the potential for damage. It won't be recessed, not even flush. The only suitable flat spot I can find is in the stern of the boat, I'm just wondering if anyone else found anything else.

Thanks in advance!
Is the transducer bigger than the one for the Hook 4?  Mine sits flush on a 2015 kraken
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

lightfoot

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I've got the same kayak.  At one point I was using the center scupper but I eventually ended up using duct seal and shooting through the hull.  I have it located pretty much center of kayak and it seems to work just fine.

Some have mentioned that duct seal looses its grip when hot, resulting in poor results.  No issues with that yet thought I haven't been out a lot.  I do have a LOT of pool noodles inside the hull. 

I put down a thin layer of duct seal on the hull and pressed the transducer into it, then built up the duct seal all around/on top of the transducer.  Pool noodles are also supplying downward pressure.  So far so good.
Kraken 13.5 on the Great lakes.

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile
thanks for the reply guys. I am not sure the transducer is bigger, no, but it doesn't sit flush in mine and sticks out a little. I have downscan on it and it's a little chunkier than transducers without. It's not like the totalscan transducer on my boat though, that thing is huge.

Duct seal is an interesting idea. I actually have a ton of that here, I don't think it would hold it place by it's own accord though - would need some sort of jig to hold it in place.

I was planning on the marine goo route but now you got me thinking.

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I've got the same kayak.  At one point I was using the center scupper but I eventually ended up using duct seal and shooting through the hull.  I have it located pretty much center of kayak and it seems to work just fine.

Some have mentioned that duct seal looses its grip when hot, resulting in poor results.  No issues with that yet thought I haven't been out a lot.  I do have a LOT of pool noodles inside the hull. 

I put down a thin layer of duct seal on the hull and pressed the transducer into it, then built up the duct seal all around/on top of the transducer.  Pool noodles are also supplying downward pressure.  So far so good.

Wow, so after an afternoon of creating templates going to buy goo and other stuff, I ended up just sticking the transducer on with duct seal as you did. I like it but I guess I'll have to get it in the water to see how it works. Thanks for the heads up on that. I was nervous about perma-sticking the transducer down, took me ages to get it right on my boat and I'd imagine this is no different. So nice to just be able to pull it off and shift it to a different location if it doesn't work.

lightfoot

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I was just kidding about the duct seal  :smt044

Honestly, it's worked fine for me so far.
Kraken 13.5 on the Great lakes.

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile
You may have been but if it works it'll be great. I'd rather not perma-weld my transducer to the hull. If not, at least I'll get to find the best position for it.