Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:20:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Garmin ClearVu transducer mount on scotty arm ?  (Read 3207 times)

Odonata

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
Hi, I just bought a Garmin Striker 4cv and it came with a transom mount and a trolling motor mount for the ClearVu transducer.  I also have a scotty transducer arm, which for my purpose (inflatable kayak) is kind of the only transducer solution I can use.

The problem is that I can't see a way to securely attach the big ClearVu transducer to the arm with the hardware provided.  Maybe I am just missing something ? I wonder if I need an additional mounting kit or something...

Attaching the fish finder unit to the scotty universal mounting plate looks pretty straightforward, except that I need to stop by Home Despot for some bolts and nuts.  The wiring harness hookup to my new Wilderness Systems lithium ion battery should be fine too.

Once I get this sorted and working I hope to write it up so other folks have some idea of what they may be in for :)  Thanks for any assistance !
-Rob

Odonata

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Turns out I had some smallish bolts lying around (bike parts) so the FF mounting did not require a special trip.

I was able to jury-rig the lower half of the transom mount to the Scotty transducer mount, just had to skip the rubber washer and add a lock washer (also lying around in the bike parts bin :) ).  The whole thing is kind of flexy though ... I wonder if the Brocraft transducer arm will fit the Scotty base plates.

Odonata

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I received a Brocraft transducer arm in the mail, and wow, that thing seems to be the bomb.  Extends further, much stiffer, more adjustable.  Fits the transducer perfectly, using half of the Garmin transom mount and Garmin-supplied bolt (longer than the one on the mount).

A bonus is that the arm can be mounted on the Scotty slip discs / mount, or used as-is on a Scotty-compatible base plate.  Now I just have to get out on the water with this thing powered up :)

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
That arm does look nicer than most and is cheaper to boot - you scored. I hadn't seen those before you posted up. I manufacturing one a couple years ago with a narrow strip of engineered bamboo lumber that I left over from making a speargun blank and mounted it with some spare ram ball parts. Mine works great, but I think you had the easier time of it.

Cheers,
Brad

Odonata

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
As luck would have it I only managed to get out on the water with this setup this morning.  Plugged it all in, pressed the power button, nada.  Jiggled connections, repeat, nope.  Put the cover back on, paddled around the lake, took a few casts, enjoyed the morning.

Got back to the dock three hours later, started putting things away, and noticed that the 4-pin Garmin connector for the transducer looks almost exactly like the one for the power.  I must have had them swapped.  Super facepalm moment  :smt001

Back at home I plugged it all in (properly this time) and there was no issue.  I think on these early morning trips I need to practice the night before ... either that or stop at Starbucks on the way.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
As luck would have it I only managed to get out on the water with this setup this morning.  Plugged it all in, pressed the power button, nada.  Jiggled connections, repeat, nope.  Put the cover back on, paddled around the lake, took a few casts, enjoyed the morning.

Got back to the dock three hours later, started putting things away, and noticed that the 4-pin Garmin connector for the transducer looks almost exactly like the one for the power.  I must have had them swapped.  Super facepalm moment  :smt001

Back at home I plugged it all in (properly this time) and there was no issue.  I think on these early morning trips I need to practice the night before ... either that or stop at Starbucks on the way.

I've got an older Garmin, and I could see that happening. Anyways, I hope you post a review once your get a chance to thoroughly test it out.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Odonata

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Got out on the water today with the unit, paddled from 8am to 4pm.  Battery life was fine.  Probably could have run it for two days without charging.

The GPS track was handy.  I was out on Los Banos Creek Reservoir and ended up paddling 7 miles apparently.  So that's why I'm aching :)

The depth display seemed pretty reasonable, and it was cool to see the sonar displays.  Now that I have this thing working, I need to get more educated on how to actually read sonar :)  I started with some youtube videos which explained "fish arches", how to discern various types of structure, etc.

I think the transducer mount is a major source of drag, but that is hardly a surprise.  Makes for a better workout ...

I hadn't realized until I bought the unit that the GPS track/waypoint info can't be uploaded/downloaded to/from a PC, which is a bit disappointing.  I guess that is a feature of  the SD card-enabled units.  It would be nice to be able to plot the track from a trip on Caltopo or some such, or download waypoints for a specific trip without cluttering up the unit's memory with waypoints from all trips.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:58:43 PM by Odonata »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Thanks for the additional info.

And I like your shoes---I believe I've got exactly the same ones.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

anything