Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:28:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Saddles for roof racks  (Read 1461 times)

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I'm looking for feedback on saddles for a roof rack. I have used the Mako saddles for many years on a Subaru Outback and have always liked them. My 2014 Outback has crossbars that are much closer together than my old 2000 Outback. With the flexible Mako saddles, this causes the kayak to bounce up and down quite a bit, especially on rough roads or at freeway speeds. I'm looking to get a non-flexible saddle to use instead of the Mako. I have seen a few, but any feedback would be appreciated.

- Bill
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Thule Hullivator.
You'll never look back.
<=>

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013

Are you doing front and rear tie downs that are hook to the frame? I find that if you have a smaller car, the Yakima Mako Saddles will flex down with rear and front tie downs. Once I pull down the front and rear tie downs and use 2 straps to cinch up the kayak to the racks, my REVO 13 and Tandem Oasis (big kayak) are very sturdy and have gone 70+ mph on the freeway for long distances.
da Bruddah
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Not made any more but Ebay should have some - Landshark saddles. 2-3 straps over the top and you're set
Hope you are not using the factory crossbars on your Outback
or
Get a Hullivator if its in your budget.
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

JSchmidt

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I have the Yakima Sweet Roll on my Outback. I used it for my hobie pro angler before deciding to trailer it. They worked great for me, but I went to a trailer because it was too much time loading and unloading - something to consider when car topping your rig.

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestions!

I wasn't able to access the forum before I left on a road trip, so I just used the Makos with a front tiedown. Some flexing, but I went freeway speed for 5 hours with no problem.

I was thinking about the Hullivators, but a Thule guy didn't think they would be any better than the Makos. Guess I'll take a look at them.
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Not made any more but Ebay should have some - Landshark saddles. 2-3 straps over the top and you're set
Hope you are not using the factory crossbars on your Outback
or
Get a Hullivator if its in your budget.
Pretty sure factory crossbars are the only option on 2010+ Subaru Outbacks (at least here in the US... I think Europe still gets to upgrade their racks). That was the biggest reason I went for a 2009.

Is there a reason you don't want to just load it upside down on the bare racks? Pretty sure that's what Hobie recommends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schills206

• Salmon
  • 2016 Hobie Outback
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
I missed this thread and just posted a duplicate in the General section.  I'm looking for saddles for my Outback as well.  I'm side loading on a small car with a thule square bar rack (mazda 3).  I'm trying to avoid transporting upside down, only because I have tools tethered and stuff in the side pockets.  Just don't want to deal with the extra tear down and set up.  But upside down is not out of the question.  I'm just lazy.

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Regarding factory bars on the new Outbacks, there is a way to remove the cross bars and install Yakima towers and bars. Very secure. My main issue is the shorter distance between the front and rear bars on the newer Subarus.

Curious to actually see the Hullivator on a car. Anybody in Santa Cruz have them on a car that I can look at?
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Remove the entire factory setup & replace with tracks by Thule, Yak, Rhino Rack, FruntRunner. Then you can use any bars you choose & locate them anywhere you need to.  Tracks are about $150 & pretty easy to install as long as you don't drill into a roof mounted airbag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I'm looking for feedback on saddles for a roof rack. I have used the Mako saddles for many years on a Subaru Outback and have always liked them. My 2014 Outback has crossbars that are much closer together than my old 2000 Outback. With the flexible Mako saddles, this causes the kayak to bounce up and down quite a bit, especially on rough roads or at freeway speeds. I'm looking to get a non-flexible saddle to use instead of the Mako. I have seen a few, but any feedback would be appreciated.

- Bill

Yes the newer Outbacks (2010 or so and on) have a factory rack system designed for soccer moms who want to feel outdoorsy but don't actually need to carry anything. They are flimsy and way too close together to carry a big boat.

On my 2013 Outback I upgraded to the Yakima towers and round bars (66" I think), with J-racks on one side. The round bars allow a pool noodle to be slid over them which is essential for getting that extra grip and preventing a boat from sliding around.

I also added the Rhino Rack T-Loader to remedy the 30" distance between the two main bars. With this system, carrying a Hobie TI and OK Zest is no problem.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...