Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:11:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pillar point harbor HMB free launch/parking?  (Read 5975 times)

mbwaterdog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Nothing is free in this world...so, how much is it to park and launch at Pillar? I'll be heading up from santa cruz this weekend to do come crabbing from the yak.

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
Free if your launching from hmb kayak co. Really not sure about the actual ramp. I get mixed answers over there. Also free launch from the old pier

mbwaterdog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Free if your launching from hmb kayak co. Really not sure about the actual ramp. I get mixed answers over there. Also free launch from the old pier

Thanks Herb...I've read old threads about harbor patrol citing people for parking in the dirt lot next to the kayak co? Are the paved parking areas free?

azharmeyer

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
I think its something like $15 if you use the ramp and park in the lot.  If you want to save some cash you can launch and park just off highway 1 for free.

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Thanks Herb...I've read old threads about harbor patrol citing people for parking in the dirt lot next to the kayak co? Are the paved parking areas free?

You cannot park in the dirt or use it to drop off your yak, anymore. I learned the hard way when I was confronted by HP. I think you have to pay for parking only if you stay overnight. We park in the upper lot by HMBK and wheel our yaks down. Good luck and post reports! 
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I think parking is free if launching from the hmb kayak rental side, but you will need wheels since it quite a walk to the beach. I usually launch from the hmb yacht club or the old pier. Go early to get a spot since theres only a few.  Parking in the dirt should be ok, i never heard of any issues. As long as you're friendly and considerate to the club people and club members.  The beach there is for public use.

I plan to be there on Sunday at about 7am.
-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS

You cannot park in the dirt or use it to drop off your yak, anymore. I learned the hard way when I was confronted by HP. I think you have to pay for parking only if you stay overnight. We park in the upper lot by HMBK and wheel our yaks down. Good luck and post reports!
Wow, that information is new to me. Maybe because too many people are starting to do this, or causing problems.  That sucks.

Btw, you coming out this weekend J?
-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I've discovered that if you use the ramp cost $15 that includes cleaning, I found out that if you are not launching from the "ramp's boat launch" you can park your car and carry the kayak on the beach where Adventure Sports launches theirs its free. I like it better its shorter walk and paddle. Good luck, if my plan fall through I will see you there, but so far its solid. be safe.
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010

I've never parked in the dirt there and I don't think it's legal. I did try to drop off a kayak a few times and got cited by a really pissed off harbor patrol. Just park in the paved parking lot on the upper, wheel your yak down and you should be good. Yes parking is free as long as it's not overnight

mbwaterdog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks everyone for the good parking intel. The free parking sounds to good to be true  :smt001 I intend to head out on Sunday, so hopefully I'll see a few of you out there. First time crabbing - hoping to go home with at least a couple!

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
You can park overnight if you have a trailer but the rates aren't cheap.  I think its something like $45 per night and there are no hook-ups of any kind.  I think the trailer issue is due to the need for people who have boats to have an overnight option but the Harbor Master doesn't have a problem with kayak trailers meeting the requirement. 

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Day use parking is free at the Pillar Point Harbor lots.

There is a fee for Dry Camping (including car camping); unless you have a boat berthed in one of the slips. Which includes access to the showers, but you have to pay a security  deposit for the key card.

Launching of any motorized boats (including inflateables & dingys), where you launch at the ramp or at the beach, requires launch fees.

And as Str8fishin mentioned, you can nolonger drive down and unload on the dirt lot next to HMB Kayak; you need to park in the upper lot and wheel/carry your gear down to the water.

Do not park (even to unload) in the Reserved parking lot next to HMB Kayak and the bathrooms; this is Permit Parking and you may get cited, plus you will make us kayakers look bad in the Pillar Point Harbor and PBer's eyes... Let's be respectful and not abuse or push the limits.

Thanks and be safe out there!
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
Day use parking is free at the Pillar Point Harbor lots.

There is a fee for Dry Camping (including car camping); unless you have a boat berthed in one of the slips. Which includes access to the showers, but you have to pay a security  deposit for the key card.

Launching of any motorized boats (including inflateables & dingys), where you launch at the ramp or at the beach, requires launch fees.

And as Str8fishin mentioned, you can nolonger drive down and unload on the dirt lot next to HMB Kayak; you need to park in the upper lot and wheel/carry your gear down to the water.

Do not park (even to unload) in the Reserved parking lot next to HMB Kayak and the bathrooms; this is Permit Parking and you may get cited, plus you will make us kayakers look bad in the Pillar Point Harbor and PBer's eyes... Let's be respectful and not abuse or push the limits.

Thanks and be safe out there!
What about at the old pier/yacht club? Can we still park there?
-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
very limited... and high risk area (if you look on the ground and there is broken shattered glass, that should be a warning); is just an easier paddle to the jaws, then paddling from HMB Kayak beach....
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
very limited... and high risk area (if you look on the ground and there is broken shattered glass, that should be a warning); is just an easier paddle to the jaws, then paddling from HMB Kayak beach....

Is it really an easier paddle to the jaws?  Look on a map, I betcha it is just a few 100 feet of difference, mainly from having to weave through the breakwall from HMB Kayaks.  But the big difference IMO is that heading back to HMB Kayaks later in the day when the wind is coming up, you're mostly riding the NW/W wind, while when going back to the pier, you're mostly paddling crosswind to slightly upwind.

-Allen