Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:16:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fishing Alameda Rockwall for the first time  (Read 8469 times)

kampana

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Hi all,

My buddy and I are planning to take our kayaks out to Alameda rockwall tomorrow.  We've been out to San Pablo Reservoir a few times, but this will be our first time putting our kayaks out to saltwater.

I read through the ocean newbie thread and now I'm a bit hesitant about the whole deal.  I think I have most of our crucial safety items down, but I'm worried about the site-specific details.  If anyone has fished near the rockwall in Alameda, would you mind chiming in on my questions below?  I would really appreciate it!
  • At what windspeed is it no longer safe to kayak?  The wind is supposed to hit 5 knots tomorrow...and I have no idea what that will do to my kayak in the water.
  • Do we have to pay to use the boat launch right across from the rockwall?
  • If we can use the boat launch across from the rockwall, what's the preferred technique to get into the kayak?  My experience is limited to the dock at san pablo reservoir, which is flatwater and allows me to just sit into the kayak.
  • I noticed there is a yacht docking area nearby, is there some sort of right-of-way protocol I can reference in case there's a huge yacht bearing down on me?
  • I read some people tie off their kayaks in the ocean, is this necessary to do near the rockwall?  What exactly do people tie off to?
  • Do most kayak fishers use live bait or lures near the rockwall?  I'm only experienced in using a dropshot rig with a roboworm in the kayak, so if this technique is pointless in the Bay, I'll shelve it and use live bait.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mike

KayakJames

• Sea Lion
  • Yes it is good
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
5kt wind is not bad but the tide at wall is a mother or is cool. just plan with the tide so you drift with it dont fight it. as far as fishing goes all of the above work sometimes but this has been a pretty crapy year there.

if you wanna take baby steps launch at mlk parkway off doolittle and go for stripers both places have a boat ramp and free parking. hope this helps
Where did he go george

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
If you launch at 7AM you will have an hour to get out to the end of the rockwall. Fishing has been pretty lousy there so you can drag something around but chances of hooking up arent great. Wind less than 10kt is fine. Since this is your first time on the bay and fishing isnt great, I would focus on your paddling and enjoy the scenery. Dragging a frozen anchovy is something to consider or just toss some swim baits around. Keep it simple and have a good time.

Labor Day: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming WNW 5 to 7 kt in the afternoon. Patchy fog before 11am.

09/03   Mon    02:22 AM    5.89 H
09/03   Mon    08:08 AM    1.25 L
09/03   Mon    02:33 PM    6.4 H
09/03   Mon    08:47 PM    1.01 L

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:03:36 PM by Great Bass 2 »
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

kampana

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thanks kayakjames and great bass 2.

Kayakjames, are you referring to the MLK Shoreline Regional Park near Doolittle?  I couldn't see where doolittle and MLK Way meet up.

Great Bass 2, we were planning on launching around 11AM, but I guess that's a bad idea because we'll be fighting the high tide that's coming in.  My experience on tides revolves around shore fishing, everything is planned around getting to the shore a couple hours before high tide.  It seems like this is not the way to plan with kayaks.  BTW, I'm in Danville too :).

KayakJames

• Sea Lion
  • Yes it is good
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
boat ramp right off doolittle next to shoreline center the name of the park is Martin Luther king park. check ebparks youll see it,

http://www.ebparks.org/activities/corpfamily/br/shoreline
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:14:03 PM by KayakJames »
Where did he go george

A-yaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Hey! Good luck tomorrow. If your launching at the rockwall, the easiest way for me to get in is to just get the kayak in the water at the ramp, get in the water about knee deep and enter in butt and one leg at the time. The launch is free. I'd recommend going before the peak of low tide that way you'll have some assistance pushing you out toward the end of the rock wall. If low tide is around 8'ish, i'd plan on being on the water by 7:30'ish. The winds are often way more calmer in the mornings and will start to pick up around noon. As far as bait, drifting a anchovies (frozen or alive) maybe your best bet for action. But be prepared to hook up on small sharks or bat rays which may require you to sometimes cut your line because they may swallow your hooks so have extra tackle. As far as paddling on the water, if your drifting back from the end of the rockwall because the tide is coming in, just be mindful that you may not really want drift too far past the rocks along the flag pole side unless your gonna drift all the way back with the incoming tide and let it pull you all the way back again. It can be tiring paddling against current and wind, so be aware of your location and the amount of energy you have.i don't know wind in knots exactly but I get a little but hesitant around 7mph with a paddle kayak. Hope this helps and good luck!
Get Er' Done

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If you launch at 11AM you will be paddling against the incoming tide. The real name of the launch is encinal. If you have a Hobie, going up current isn't too bad but paddling can suck depending on the tidal swing especially if your not a strong paddler. Factor in you will also be paddling against the wind. The good news is that the wind and current will be back to the launch.

http://gotoes.org/put-ins/Kayak_Put-In_Site_Viewer.php?site=61

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Mental Note: keep your legs out of the water when playing with Batrays there :smt013. they don't like kayak fisherman... :smt044 :smt044 or maybe its just me :smt009

Serious note, just drift with the current on the bouncing live or frozen bait, you will save a great deal of energy.  On the incoming tide, drift around towards and around the flag pole; when the tide turns, then drift along the wall (just out of casting range of the bank fisherman) towards the end of the wall. Then use the wind to help you paddle back to the ramp....

Good luck!
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
bring some pile worms and a light action rod you might get some good perch action,goodluck
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

kampana

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I wish I could launch at 7:30, but I can't get out the door tomorrow until 11.

That being said, between the MLK regional shoreline off of Doolittle (http://gotoes.org/put-ins/Kayak_Put-In_Site_Viewer.php?site=63) and the Rockwall, which one would you suggest as far as successful fishing and newb safety?  To be honest, I would be happy catching a shark or a batray, as long as we don't get skunked out there.

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I wish I could launch at 7:30, but I can't get out the door tomorrow until 11.

That being said, between the MLK regional shoreline off of Doolittle (http://gotoes.org/put-ins/Kayak_Put-In_Site_Viewer.php?site=63) and the Rockwall, which one would you suggest as far as successful fishing and newb safety?  To be honest, I would be happy catching a shark or a batray, as long as we don't get skunked out there.

Also look into San Leandro Marina; nicer area than Encinal and safer for you vehicle too... plus lots of bats and sharks; and maybe even a striper or two....
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

kampana

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thanks all for your advice!  We tentatively settled on the Grand Avenue boat launch directly across from the Coast Guard Island.  We'll probably work our way from there down the Oakland/Alameda estuary into San Leandro Bay.

From what I read, most of the fish are going to be baitfish, i.e. Sardines, Mackerel, etc.  I've never fished for these guys before, does anyone have any advice on what rigs to use?  Will they go after lures?

Thanks again,
Kampana

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Use a medium size sabiki and remove all but 3 hooks. You can pick them up at Outdoor Pro Shop in Oakland on your way to the launch. The guys there can help you pick up the right one. Get a 4 oz weight and drag the sabiki around behind your boat. If you see a bait ball on your FF, jig the sabiki through the bait ball. Bring a small ice chest and put the sardines on ice when you catch them. You can grill them or freeze them and use for bait. I like eating them but my wife hates them. Mackerel I would freeze and use as bait. Some people eat them but I havent found a way to prepare them that I liked. Macs are great crab bait. Good for lings and halis too.

kampana

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Well we got skunked.  Got a good bite on the way back to the launch, but couldn't set the hook fast enough.  Also, note to self: the current on the incoming tide is STRONG!

anything