Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:55:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Show me your Crab buoy paint  (Read 918 times)

achu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Just picked a couple of old crab buoys that needs a fresh coat of paint. What type of paint is recommended? Water based?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperVato

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
There are specialty buoy paints availabile at places like Englund’s which have a cool factor but unless you live near a store which sells it then that’s a PITA. I have found Krylon Fusion to work great, it is even works on plastic. For your CDFW GO ID number the best approach I’ve seen is to burn it in with a soldering iron type wood burner or framing nail held in vice grips and heated by a propane torch and then apply paint to the number via a small brush.  Humboldt Vinylon Bouy paint, there are others. Maybe one of the commercial crabbers here on the forum will improve upon my suggestions. Mine are tricolor yellow, white, and orange with the orange being the only one which shows up worth a s#!t.  :smt003
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:51:13 AM by SuperVato »
“All men are equal before fish.”
― Herbert  Hoover    

achu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
There are specialty buoy paints availabile at places like Englund’s which have a cool factor but unless you live near a store which sells it then that’s a PITA. I have found Krylon Fusion to work great, it is even works on plastic. For your CDFW GO ID number the best approach I’ve seen is to burn it in with a soldering iron type wood burner or framing nail held in vice grips and heated by a propane torch and then apply paint to the number via a small brush.  Humboldt Vinylon Bouy paint, there are others. Maybe one of the commercial crabbers here on the forum will improve upon my suggestions. Mine are tricolor yellow, white, and orange with the orange being the only one which shows up worth a s#!t.  :smt003
Does the GO ID gets changed each year or stays same ID number?

ReelE

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Does the GO ID gets changed each year or stays same ID number?

Do we need to show anything else on our buoys other than our GO ID#? I think I will try the hot nail method for my #'s.

E-

lazyhook

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Yes.  Unless you need to enter witness protection or otherwise change your identity, your GO ID is the same each year.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010

Do we need to show anything else on our buoys other than our GO ID#? I think I will try the hot nail method for my #'s.

E-
I added NCKA and my handle "Traildad" plus my cellphone #. That way if I lose it I have a better chance of recovery.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

ReelE

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017

E-
I added NCKA and my handle "Traildad" plus my cellphone #. That way if I lose it I have a better chance of recovery.
That's a great idea to add your handle. This will be my first season crabbing on my own and not on a charter boat where everything is pretty much done for you so I'm learning. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm sure I will have some issues once OTW but that's how I learn, hands on.
E-

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

E-
That's a great idea to add your handle. This will be my first season crabbing on my own and not on a charter boat where everything is pretty much done for you so I'm learning. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm sure I will have some issues once OTW but that's how I learn, hands on.
E-
Don't forget the NCKA.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Does anybody know if the GO ID requirement applies to conical traps?  I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything to have it on the buoy but, is it required?

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Does anybody know if the GO ID requirement applies to conical traps?  I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything to have it on the buoy but, is it required?

My understanding is those are ring traps and don't require the id. It's illegal to let them alone longer than two hours without checking so it's less likely that they'd need an id.