Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:59:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Question on inside layer of dry suit  (Read 2193 times)

Dav3

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
There are multiple types of layering from Kokatat while donning on a dry suit.  Kokatat carries the outercore liners, the basecore shirts and pants and also the woolcore shirts and pants.  What is the ideal layering to go into the big blue?  Thanks in advance.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Depends how cold the water is.  The focus is to "dress for immersion".  This requires enough insulation to avoid hypothermia, as the drysuit won't protect you much from the cold.   

I like wetsuit under drysuit. 
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
There are multiple types of layering from Kokatat while donning on a dry suit.  Kokatat carries the outercore liners, the basecore shirts and pants and also the woolcore shirts and pants.  What is the ideal layering to go into the big blue?  Thanks in advance.

Agree with Eric. If you want to go a bit less pricey get compressed pants and sleeves. I love them kept me dry and warm.

When water is cold like this coming month. I have 3MM FJ wetsuit inside my drypants and drytops.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:25:17 AM by Darius (Burong Isda) »
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

solsrf1

• Industry Affiliate
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Eric makes a good point to dress for immersion. Know your environment before setting out on your adventures, ask questions and do your homework. What are the water temps for the time of year that you are going out? Is it early in the season, summer, fall or winter, and adjust accordingly. While a wetsuit under a semi-dry suit will keep you warmer under a "semi-dry suit" on the North coast, it can be extremely hot and may cause you to sweat excessively during activity. In a colder environment it is possible that excessive sweat can cause you to become chilled and potentially dehydrated. The reason I made the distinction of a "semi-dry suit" is that a true dry suit or dry top or pant, is one that it has a fully rubber gasketed neck, wrists, and ankles, to prevent water from entering at any point. Kokatat and other versions that most of us wear are only gasketed at the wrists and have a neoprene neck that is designed more around comfort than keeping water out, and therefore are not a true drysuit. They will keep most of the water out, but not all, and can cause a person to get cold very quickly if fully immersed in water since they can allow cold water to enter if in the water for an extended period of time. Self Rescue, have you heard of it, and can you do it? This would be a good thing to look into, if you have not already:-)
Anyone who has a lot of experience venturing into the mountains or any other high altitude or colder environments know that base layers are essential for survival and protection from hypothermia due to sweat and wet clothing. Your question around base layers is a good one and important. There are synthetic and natural fiber, they are a direct result of years of people hiking and working in the outdoors, and only having wool or cotton as the main component to the base layer. Cotton is horrible in any version and should be avoided. Wool is probably the best natural material due to its ability to wick moisture, and still remain warm while wet. The downside is that it is that it can be itchy, will smell bad, and in some cases can be too warm in certain environments. The introduction of synthetic materials has been invaluable due to the fact that they are lighter weight, dry extremely fast, very comfortable, and typically come in three variations; lightweight, midweight, and heavyweight. You can adjust to the activity and climate of where you are going, and mix and match tops and bottoms. I often have one set of lightweight and midweight with me for my base layers, and sometimes will use a different weight on my top or bottoms depending on the activity. I also have expedition or heavy weight if I know I'm going to need to have maximum base layer insulation under my snowboard, backpacking, or paddling shell pants or tops. Kokatat make a good product in this category, but don't overlook companies like REI, Patagonia, Columbia, NRS, Smartwool, Mtn Hardware, ArcTeryx, and just about every other outdoor retailer. Cheers

Big Hammer Pro Staff
Kayak Connection Fishing Team

Crayon

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I use Under Armor Cold Gear as a base layer top and bottom.
I use tall Merino wool socks to the knee and Redington IO Fleece Fishing Pant for Waders, this setup I can wade in sub 40 deg. water all day. Then for the top I wear a fleece vest. If it is real cold I have a wool sweater I will also put on under the vest
By the end of the day I do get damp but still warm. If I get to damp or hot I will unzip for a short period of time to dry out if conditions are favorable.
Mostly I don't notice the damp until I am back on the beach and get out of the suit.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I don’t typically fish ocean up here in the colder months but just wear a surfing wetsuit 3/4mil. I found in dry top and pants even when it was overcast and cooler I was wetter from sweat then if I jumped in I just smelt worse. Lot of the guys up here wear under armor then maybe wind breaker type of material and for those easily cold wool and other synthetic fibers, on a side note wool makes me itch like a flea ridden dog. 

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I use Under Armor Cold Gear as a base layer top and bottom.

+1
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Tinker

You can go to sierra Trading Post and find base layers for a low price.  I own light, medium and heavy/arctic layers and can combine them for the conditions.

Look for polypropylene or polyester fleece sweat shirts and pants if you want to get warmer still.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I use either mid or heavy weight Smartwool tops and bottoms, and Smartwool socks under the drysuit. NRS "Paddle shoe" booties also provide some foot warmth.

I also have some Patagonia Capilene bottoms that work well.

It's a delicate balance... Wear too much insulation, and you'll be VERY tempted to unzip your suit. It won't do you much good if it's unzipped...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dav3

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I'll check out the Under Armor Cold Gear, Smart wool tops and bottoms.  I will be exploring these options and test them out at HMB to see what works best, if anything i can always add on more layers.  Thanks to everyone for your inputs, much appreciated =) 

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

pindo124

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
My suggestion: Get dressed in whatever you think will work (but, please, no cotton!), and practice some self-rescue.

You may be a bit surprised. I know I was: the drysuit is not made for swimming! You can move, but it's slow, bulky & you will get warm from the activity. And you'll need to figure out how to get all of the air out without letting in a bunch of water.

On the other hand, if you just jump in the water & sit there, you'll learn pretty quick if you have the right layers on.

So give it a try.
Bill
PS Don't forget to wear your PFD during your practice sessions.

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Base layer @ Costco selling now.  $8.99 top or bottom
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Base layer @ Costco selling now.  $8.99 top or bottom

Great price, and some good reviews...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Dav3

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks, I'm going to Costco to buy those base layers and test them out as well.  :smt001