Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:40:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 04:06:09 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Congress approves bill allowing the killing of sea lions... to protect salmon  (Read 2094 times)

achu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Dec. 12, 2018 / 12:16 PM PST / Source: Associated Press
By Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. — Congress has agreed to make it easier to kill sea lions threatening fragile runs of salmon in the Northwest.

Oregon Public Broadcasting reports that a bill approved by the House Tuesday changes the Marine Mammal Protection Act to lift some of the restrictions on killing sea lions to protect salmon and steelhead in the Columbia River and its tributaries. The measure had previously passed the Senate.

Wildlife managers say sea lion populations have grown so large that they no longer need all the protections that were put in place for them in 1972.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/congress-approves-bill-allowing-killing-sea-lions-protect-salmon-n947126

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Seal burgers coming to a jack in the box near you soon :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 Betcha Ikeda's here in Auburn will have them... :smt005 Can't wait! A whole new dimension of hunting for us :smt067
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Less to it than meets the eye. It certainly won't have any effect on this trend:

"...California sea lions that dramatically increased from about 30,000 in the 1960s to about 300,000..."
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ya but, We got Whitey on our side :smt106 :smt106 :smt106 :smt106 Now we just have to teach them to read the words "NOT A SEAL"  Then the water is all ours!!!! :smt044 :smt005 :hello2:
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Lock n Load, it's bang time
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Are Harbor Seals included?
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

FishWorks

• It's MudSalmon Time
  • Sea Lion
  • MOOCH STRONG
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Just Slay
Host of the Berryessa Salmon Slam

Slappyjfinley

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
This is interesting stuff
Thanks for listing this

Some of the comments on here!!!hahahah
 😂
It’s the FU**ING Catalina wine mixer!

MolonLabe916

• Salmon
  • View Profile Knowledge is Power.
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Are Harbor Seals included?

Harbor seals are not nearly as much of a threat to salmon and steelhead as sea lions and elephant seals are. And there are far less of them as well.

They aren’t as voracious a predator as sea lions and elephants seals.

Sea gulls, cormorants, and other fish eating birds do way more damage to the salmon and steelhead populations because they feed on the smolt that are trying to get to the ocean and there about 10 times the number of those birds than seals, sea lions, and elephant seals put together.  They need to open us season on those damn birds.  Right before waterfowl season so we can get some shooting practice before ducks and geese show up.   :smt003
Joe Mag. Green/black WS Radar 135.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

www.Freediveshop.com

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I agree,comorants need the population dwindled down abit.those birds are in the ocean lakes and rivers.i had them try to take my stringer at lake themescal one year
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I think the "let's kill some shit" excitement in this thread is the reason it's taken some time for the gov't to agree to some predator control on the Columbia. 

Here's what I got from Googling "Cormorants eat":

They eat mainly fish. Adults eat an average of one pound of fish per day, which is typically comprised of small (less than 6 inch) size classes. They are opportunistic and generalist feeders, preying on many species of fish, but concentrating on those that are easiest to catch.

Maybe we need to look harder at how to be a part of Nature instead of just considering how to take Nature apart for our own needs.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

MolonLabe916

• Salmon
I think the "let's kill some shit" excitement in this thread is the reason it's taken some time for the gov't to agree to some predator control on the Columbia. 

They eat mainly fish. Adults eat an average of one pound of fish per day, which is typically comprised of small (less than 6 inch) size classes. They are opportunistic and generalist feeders, preying on many species of fish, but concentrating on those that are easiest to catch.[/b

Yah exactly. They eat small easy to catch fish such as salmon smolt and steelhead smolt that are small and easy to catch. Smolt are the small baby fingerling salmon and steelhead. They have hatched and are trying to make their way to the ocean to grow. And the reason they are so much easier to catch is because we have dams setup everywhere and make rivers like the Columbia much wider and slower moving and with much slower currents, those baby salmon and steelhead become much easier prey and they have to work much harder to get to the ocean. as opposed the the natural way they should be getting there. By facing up river and letting the swift current of a NATURAL river carry them down.
And with very few natural predators left to keep those bird populations in check and with them being protected, the bird numbers are out of control. It’s OUR fault the ecosystem is the way it is now. So WE are the ones who need to keep the predatory circle in check.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

www.Freediveshop.com

MolonLabe916

• Salmon

This is a really good documentary. The part about the birds starts at about 33min in.

Mark Twain

www.Freediveshop.com

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: MolonLabe916
Right before waterfowl season so we can get some shooting practice before ducks and geese show up.   :smt003

My point is more about how a scientific need can turn into a lynch mob mentality with willing killers lined up before the sound prescription is administered.

I commented because it didn't feel like I was reading an NCKA post, but I'll get over it.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008

They eat mainly fish. Adults eat an average of one pound of fish per day, which is typically comprised of small (less than 6 inch) size classes. They are opportunistic and generalist feeders, preying on many species of fish, but concentrating on those that are easiest to catch.

Maybe we need to look harder at how to be a part of Nature instead of just considering how to take Nature apart for our own needs.

This
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score