Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:42:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:32:02 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak rudder help!  (Read 728 times)

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Went out the water today and as I try to deploy the rudder nothing happened.  I had to go back on the beach and had to do it manually.  Do you guys lube your rudders or something?  It’s squeeking when I was manually deploying it and when stowing.  Not sure if it was over tighen or something.

Thank you!

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Would need to see a video... Recommend checking inside the hull when you deploy rudder. The lines may have gotten stuck,  jammed, etc.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
What kind of kayak?
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
On my boats with rudders, they're all externally rope deployed. YMMV if yours isn't.

On mine, I wax the rope used to deploy the rudder, concentrating on areas that pass through any guides along the way. I also make sure to completely rinse the assembly everywhere if I've been in the salt. If you're squeaking, you might have overtightened the nut/bolt the rudder pivots on.

Couple other things I've noted when it's been hard to deploy the rudder: sometimes I'll absent mindedly put the seat clips over the top of the rope and that can cause problems. Also, if the rudder deployment ropes are very dry, they have a tendency to shrink on my boat, which can make them stiff and short/tight, which also makes it hard to drop the rudder, getting the ropes wet solves this pretty quickly.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Agree with newfuturevintage. Most kayak rudders are a relatively simple mechanism so if there is an issue deploying, there are only a few places to look. The squeak while manually deploying screams that the the nut on the main pivot bolt was overtightened. If it took much pressure for you to deploy it manually, it's going to be too tight to rope deploy. Back that nut off just a little and see if it helps. Otherwise, check to make sure that nothing has been installed/clipped across the deployment rope. Also, my rudder has a rope cleat that can be used to hold the rudder rope tight once it's deployed. I've had the rope accidentally slip into that cleat with the rudder stowed which ends up preventing it from deploying.

Just check for obstructions and then make sure all parts of moving freely and you should be in business.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Motorcycles use a product called Cable Lube. I have some from that endeavor and use it on my T 15's rudder cable system = No problems!

I Zod Out
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks guy.  Bought a wd40 and will lube the heck out of it and also the area where the ropes pass through.  Hopefully that works.  If not, will try to loosen the bolts.

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Also, my rudder has a rope cleat that can be used to hold the rudder rope tight once it's deployed. I've had the rope accidentally slip into that cleat with the rudder stowed which ends up preventing it from deploying.

Forgot about that, both my SOT and SINK with rudders have that and it can get maddening.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Well... for those interested on an update, WD-40 did the trick. 

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Big fan of Bees Wax .
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

anything