Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:33:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: What's Your Heritage? ... Where Ya From?  (Read 11661 times)

Azkikr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Filipino with 1/4 spanish descent

oldfart

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
My paternal grandfather was born 6 months after his parents moved here from Germany in the 1880s. They were farmers both here and in Germany. My paternal grandmother was Irish.
Both of my mothers parents were 100% of English heritage.
My maternal grandmother was a direct lineal descendant of John Billington, who came over on the Mayflower and was a signer of the Mayflower Compact.  He also has the distinction of being the first person executed (hanged) in Plymouth colony
"Pedo Viejo" is what Antonio called me.

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
My family native blood myth was busted too!  Funny how so many white families have this in common.  I do have more Neanderthal DNA than most, so I have that going for me.

Add me to that list. I've always been told we had some Native American in the family.

I received my 23andMe reports today. No native DNA found. I still need to spend some time reviewing the details in the reports. Looks like I'm 99.7% European. Mostly British/Irish, French, German, Scandinavian. I also have some Iberian, Italian and a smidgeon (0.1%) Sub-Saharan African and unassigned.

I need to pull out some of the old family tree reports and put some of this in place.

Thanks for reviving this thread.
Al

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Fathers side- Lithuanian Jews who fled Russian persecution
During the Bolshevik revolution came to America in the 1800s thru Ellis island.

Mother side- French who settled in the southern states in the early 17th century.

Me- 100% American  :smt006

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
My wife is from Kow Loon , Hong Kong .

My kids are one hell of mix LOL

Haha! My wife is from Taiwan, so my kids are a jumble too. The wife is kind of upset that one of our kids doesn't look sufficiently Asian. Come to think of it, he's a pretty good kid, so I'm thinking he was probably switched at birth...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I'm from America. I'm an American.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
My cousin's name was Paul Aurandt, but you know him as Paul Harvey.

And now you know the rest of the story.
In deed. That's very cool. I liked listening to his stories. His son tried to pickup when dad retired but not nearly as good.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
My cousin's name was Paul Aurandt, but you know him as Paul Harvey.

And now you know the rest of the story.
In deed. That's very cool. I liked listening to his stories. His son tried to pickup when dad retired but not nearly as good.

Its funny.  I'd been told when I was younger that we were related to Paul Harvey, but I didn't realize just how close.  I'm the oldest of many, many great grandkids on both sides, we can trace back to the mayflower, we can trace back to Jamestown colony, we can trace to the Frisbee pie company and to Sarah Pardee Winchester (not direct obv.), but we didn't know much at all about my dad's father's side until we looked about 2-3 years ago.  Then BAM, Paul Harvey and relatively close!  I wish Id known and was able to inquire when folks who might have known more about it were still alive. 

As is, I'm the oldest of the oldest of the oldest of the oldest for many generations, so I had the fortune to know most of my great grandparents and I have a pretty cool ivory and bone knife heirloom that has been handed down for 400 years that I received on my wedding day that i look forward to passing along to the next in line.

This is a great topic, fun stuff to learn about.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Both my parents came from Ireland in 1958 and settled in the SF Sunset District.  My mom was from Tipperary and my dad was from Limerick.  They decided to move to the USA after getting married since my dad had several younger sisters and they would have had to wait until they were married off before he could inherit the farm (still kind of a dowry type system back then).   I loved growing up in SF.  I moved to Petaluma in 1994 when I got married to a great gal from Pacifica and we bought a home there.  Now I love living in the North Bay.

This is a great forum - outstanding members of whom I have only met a few.  Looking forward to meeting more of you fishing yakers!

-Pat-  :fish

Dude... 33rd and Vicente.... born and raised

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I'm from America. I'm an American.

Yes, Ben is definately a human from America, planet earth.  He enjoys watching feetball  and listening to our wonderful earth music.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:19:05 PM by Archie Marx »
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Californian, San Franciscan, Sunset through and through. Fathers side came over in the 1780s from around Dubrovnik, but was a mix of German and yugoslavian. Eventuallly pushed west and settled in illinois. Mom's side came over a bit later and pushed west right away. That side has all kinds of crazy mix, but mostly German. Apparently they were trappers or scouts or something as there's french and Crow in there too.eventually they settled in illinois. Mom and dad eloped and rode a Honda 305 from IL to SF in 64. Beatniks, not hippies. Couldn't afford anything in SF except way out in the sunset.
My mom still lives in that house.
My step mom has a super interesting story. Her great...insert a bunch of greats...grandfather came in 1850 from germany. Started poor, became crazy rich, lost it all, and eventually got some of it back. His claim is still visible - tunnel rapids it's called now.
I have translations of letters from him to his then fiancée detailing much of this, posted them here
https://team-scott.blogspot.com/2014/01/lftgr-valparasio-nov-13-1850.html

Ding A Ling

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I was born in Aliltagtag Batangas Philippine. Came to San Francisco when I was 3 1/2 years old in 1974.
Just got my Ancestry results a couple of week ago and apparently I’m 66%. East Asian and 26% Polynesian. No wonder I love to fish. It’s in my blood!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superd270

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
I was born in Aliltagtag Batangas Philippine. Came to San Francisco when I was 3 1/2 years old in 1974.
Just got my Ancestry results a couple of week ago and apparently I’m 66%. East Asian and 26% Polynesian. No wonder I love to fish. It’s in my blood!!

Anla eh, ano ga? Kumusta na ga, kabayan? We should meet.

Born in Tanauan, Batangas, Philippines. 60 miles south of Manila. Pure Pilipino.
Came to US in '88 with my wife and 3 boys. Was CIA for a while, then turned US Citizen afterwards.
Just saw this post a few days ago and started reading it from the start.

Found it enjoyable and very interesting.

1st paragraph is addressed to Ding A Ling and just shows how we spoke in Batangas, certain "accent" that is, and just means "How are you, Ding A Ling". With that, people can tell on the spot that we're from the "Batangas" area aka "Batangueño".

Thanks for reviving the post.

Kuya D

Going Fishing?
Winds from the south, hook in
    the mouth.
Wind from the east, bite the least.
Wind from the north, further off.
Wind from the west, bite the
    best.

Azkikr

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Oh shit! Hahahaha. We’ve been fishin and didn’t know that ur at same hometown. Lol