Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:21:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Redwood City Marina shark and ray action?  (Read 1766 times)

porky (bp)

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
EWB,

you seem to know the scoop on this topic , Redwood City Marina shark and ray action?

Im up for this, whats the details on this/currents/tides, ect...

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I would suggest Coyote Point instead. 

Here's thread on it...

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,5736.0.html

porky (bp)

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Wow, looks like it was quite the day....

Are the tides nasty at coyote...? Ive shore fished in the area before, but that was years ago...

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
It can be very windy from what i hear, but never launched there.  What about Moss Landing?  Heard there are tons of sharks n rays from Andy.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Wow, looks like it was quite the day....

Are the tides nasty at coyote...? Ive shore fished in the area before, but that was years ago...

Just pick your day. Generally it's the wind that sucks more but the nice thing is that the channels are not to far away to paddle to.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I'd be down with a trip some time soon. ISE is next Sat so maybe Sun (if I can afford the WAF). I can't go this weekend.

RWC is an easy paddle. You can go out as far as you need to. The closer to the main bay the better. You'll want an anchor or tie up to the channel markers (which I am sure isn't allowed). The best place is Palo Alto harbor (or what used to be the harbor). When the tide drops the area is basically a river channel and the fish have no place to go. The down side is at minus tide you are scraping bottom and there isn't much to look at. I haven't seen to much of a difference with tides. Lower seems to concentrate them a bit more. I find squid is best. Rigged on the biggest hooks you got (I use 5/0 circle with the barb mashed down) While I soak bait I often chum the area with my old freezer burnt 'chovies, 'dines and macks. It seems to draw them in....There, now you got all my secrets. If they only counted for AOTY :smt044
-Eric Berg

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Eric - I've never launched from there. Is it safe to leave you car there?

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Palo Alto? I've never had an issue. There are always some rich ass, whole food shoppin', volvo drivin' people bird watching there (I can say that 'cuz I grew up in PA). One time there was a water color painting class there. The were blown away at me yak fishing. Just to be sure I am talking about launching at the 'windsurfer' dock in the back of the harbor area.
-Eric Berg

bink

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
Since I am currently deciding where to take my kayak out for its first outing, I was wondering how mellow coyote point is as a paddling area.  I live less than a mile from there and I take my daughter down to the beach quite frequently and it doesn't seem too dangerous at least within a few 100 feet of the shore.  Any advice about paddling out there or should I just avoid it until I have spent more time on my kayak in more protected waters?  Thanks.

Michael

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Michael, If you launch out of the Harbor, head North towards the SPCA building, it's a big cove and fairly safe - just paddle along the shore line. If the wind picks up, you can always paddle inside the Harbor or paddle on the sheltered side to the South.

During the warmer months, you can troll along the outer rockwall for stripers or drift for halibut as well.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:07:35 PM by Mooch »

bink

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
Michael, If you launch out of the Harbor, head North towards the SPCA building, it's a big cove and fairly safe - just paddle along the shore line. If the wind picks up, you can always paddle inside the Harbor or paddle on the sheltered side to the South.

During the warmer months, you can troll along the outer rockwall for stripers or drift for halibut as well.

Great, that sounds like it might be a good option for me as it is basically a short hop from my place and gives me a very close launch site for practice (heh, I might be able to go out every week).  Also, since I am a member of the coyote point museum (my daughter loves going there) I get to park for free.  Thanks!

Michael

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Right on! Good luck and paddle safe.

I used to paddle out there and head north towards the "Show Boat" - right by the Burlingame shoreline. When the tide is high, I'd paddle into the slough and head towards highway 101. The stripers have been know to swim inside that lagoon.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Always check the tides in the bay and the wind, both can be brutal.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Palo Alto? I've never had an issue. There are always some rich ass, whole food shoppin', volvo drivin' people bird watching there (I can say that 'cuz I grew up in PA). One time there was a water color painting class there. The were blown away at me yak fishing. Just to be sure I am talking about launching at the 'windsurfer' dock in the back of the harbor area.

Is the place where we launched last year for our Jan sharkin' trip? 

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Martin we launched at RWC harbor.
-Eric Berg