Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:10:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Rodholders issue  (Read 4020 times)

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
I've alerted Brett at Stealth about this and am posting this as a heads up to anybody who might be trolling salmon

A couple of trips back I reached around for my rod and the rodholder lifted out with it, screws pulled loose from the glass.

The only stress that's been on the rodholder was from a handful of times that I tried trolling with the rod in back, which doesnt work well for trolling salmon.

Per Brett the rodholders are typically used more lightly where they are so weren't built for trolling weight, but they are taking note and may reinforce. Looks like I did the field test to prove they're not meant for pulling 2lbs for any length of time.

There may not be that many people out there pulling weight but I wanted to give the heads up about it.

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thinking about this it seems unlikely that the little amount of trolling I did would be enough to strip the screws loose, and more likely it's two years of pulling rods out of rodholders that are a tight fit.

My shimano rods and net are snug fit, good and bad to that

Second thing you will notice the flush mount rod holders are small and wont fit a lot of the poles, nets and gaffs we use in the ocean. Replaced with larger ones more common on kayaks outfitted here.

Big difference. Be careful not to strip the fiberglass when attaching. If you're more industrious than I, figuring a way to reinforce the flush mounts, especially those right behind the seat because of the flex in the glass, would be a most excellent upgrade.

Will go w Wizz's idea to upsize the rodholders and figure out a graceful way to reinforce

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
If you go with Scotty rod mounts they have backing plates available now for their products. Just installed one & they are really nice for the price.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/16707/Scotty-Backing-Plate-441.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping:%20ACK%20PLA&scid=scplp2392429&gclid=CM2TvJKP0McCFUhhfgodaLEGWw

potto

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
What was the solution?

Why not put a Scotty thing-a-ma-jig in front of the hatch?  And use Scotty extenders so you can reach.

--
<><

Jonah 1:17 "Now the LORD had prepared a great fish"

Peter Joseph Otto

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
What was the solution?

Why not put a Scotty thing-a-ma-jig in front of the hatch?  And use Scotty extenders so you can reach.

Too weak for trolling big cannonball salmon weights.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • Stealth, Ducati and Lotus, light makes right.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Wrong place and angle for salmon trolling anyway. I mounted a rod holder on the hatch in front of me. It's a RAM holder with ball on a YakAttak track. Those rear holders work perfectly for trolling larger live baits with little or no weight. And I have had good luck with American market Shimano rods fit wise.

Ruben

EDIT* I had to remove the butt cap cover on one rod.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:08:35 PM by fishkraft »
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

potto

• Salmon
  • View Profile
What was the solution?

Too weak for trolling big cannonball salmon weights.

Bushy

I don't understand.  Scotty mount + extenders + scotty rod does handle the weight. (On my plastic kayak)
I don't understand what you are saying.  Is the glass too weak?  I'm not sure......
--
<><

Peter Joseph Otto

potto

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Wrong place and angle for salmon trolling anyway. I mounted a rod holder on the hatch in front of me. It's a RAM holder with ball on a YakAttak track. Those rear holders work perfectly for trolling larger live baits with little or no weight. And I have had good luck with American market Shimano rods fit wise.

Ruben

A buddy of mine installed ball ram mounts on his kayak.  I'm glad he did.  It was a complete failure.  I scratched that off my list.  Ram mounts are good for GPS, phone, radio......Not for trolling 2 lb lead weights.

I still want to know if I can install a scotty rod holder mount in front of, not on, the hatch.
--
<><

Peter Joseph Otto

cajun

• ACA Instructor/Guide
  • Salmon
  • NOR CAL
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I'm putting two rail blaza mounts like the one paddleguy did. Check it out onyoutube. He has some good videos about rigging.
Sponsored by: Pacific Outfitters, Native kayaks, Seeker rods. Seigler reels, b2 Squid, Promar. Stohlquist, Lingcod jigs.

potto

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I'm putting two rail blaza mounts like the one paddleguy did. Check it out onyoutube. He has some good videos about rigging.

I have seen the video.  It looks good.  But are those 2lb trolling holders? 
What is so special about rail blaza compared to Scotty? 
--
<><

Peter Joseph Otto

cajun

• ACA Instructor/Guide
  • Salmon
  • NOR CAL
  • View Profile
I just like the locks better. I used Scotty for years I just like the locking much on the rail blaza. They both work .
Sponsored by: Pacific Outfitters, Native kayaks, Seeker rods. Seigler reels, b2 Squid, Promar. Stohlquist, Lingcod jigs.

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I set up the T160 with Scotty and trolled 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 lbs for miles and miles without problem

Only thing with the Scottys is the teeth that hold it in position tend to smooth down out over time, so you have to replace them now and then

I may do the same on the hatch of the 575 but I tend to let ideas brew before doing something

In the case of the Stealth I want to make the most of the little bit of real estate that's there so still not sure what I'll do

I'll check out those other holders

cajun

• ACA Instructor/Guide
  • Salmon
  • NOR CAL
  • View Profile
My baby getting rigged!

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013

Ruben

A buddy of mine installed ball ram mounts on his kayak.  I'm glad he did.  It was a complete failure.  I scratched that off my list.  Ram mounts are good for GPS, phone, radio......Not for trolling 2 lb lead weights.

I still want to know if I can install a scotty rod holder mount in front of, not on, the hatch.
Yes, you can. But it is a long way to scoot to grab a rod going off. I have a Scotty deck mount (flush mount sets the rod right on top of the legs) on the hatch and have trolled both cut plug and sinker release with 24oz ball for over 200miles. I've also bounced 48oz balls off the bottom and hooked a halibut with the rod in the holder. 2years and no signs of stress or cracks. Plus I figure the hatch is far easier to replace or repair in case of problems over the long term.  Deck layout is highly personal of course, but I REALLY like where it's at for trolling. It's just far enough forward to not hit the paddle but close enough to easily grab with a fish on. I don't keep the rod there in transit, they either go in the fish hatch or behind and the rod holder itself goes in the hatch out of the way. You can still access the hatch with the rod in the holder as well.

The holder in front of the hatch I use for the camera/go pro, but it's solid and could be used for trolling. Again, it's a long way to slide up with a fish on IMHO.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 02:20:33 PM by wizz »
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

WingShooter

• Sea Lion
  • I fish not to escape life but to live it.
  • View Profile Branson Baits
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
If you go with Scotty rod mounts they have backing plates available now for their products. Just installed one & they are really nice for the price.

+1. They also make slip discs so you can adjust the angle w/out having to reset the teeth position. They work great for trolling but vertical stuff, they can slip.
www.bransonbaits.com 

US Hobie Fishing Team Member
Lowrance Pro-Staff
EGO Pro-Staff
Lew's Pro-Staff
Diawa Pro-Staff

anything