Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:00:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: How do you GOOP a transducer inside an OK Trident hull?  (Read 3215 times)

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I did prep the surface by scuffing with fine sandpaper and wiping with rubbing alcohol. It still got very soft in the heat, peeled clean off, and fell into some sand and condensation in the hull... I repeated that process a time or two and had similar results.

I guess it's possible I had a bad batch of duct seal, but I'be since found a method that works better for me. Zero issues so far with the water bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

I guess it's possible I had a bad batch of duct seal, but I'be since found a method that works better for me. Zero issues so far with the water bath.

A bad batch is possible.
I was worried about what you described when I first tried it. But like I mentioned before, zero problems. (now watch what happens the next time I go out)  :smt011
I too use a water bath, it's just that my pool noodle is now duct putty.
<=>

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
...Once you have it the way you want it, put Saran Wrap over the putty. It will still be pliable but will not stick to your hands or your TD.

that's a GREAT idea, thx!
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
FWIW, I've never had to scrape goop off my kayak after removing a transducer, and I've done it a bunch of times.  I just wedge a very wide screwdriver under the lip a bit and pop it like an abalone.  It comes off the kayak cleanly.  You still need to deal with scraping it off the transducer, but that's an easier proposition.

-Allen

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
The trick with the GOOP is to let it tack up a little before applying, kind of like a contact adhesive. Most people just put it on and immediately push the transducer down causing the air bubbles.
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • put the lotion in the basket
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
mix about half of each --quickly-- put a cookie sized 1/4 thick putty knifed into inside -flat spot..wait till tacky-quick stuff--push transducer firmly until even spread out...put 2 sections of long duct tape in a cross pattern over the top to hold down for any shifting as it sets up...
jb can be peeled off..light chisel if needed later--if it pops free only a thin coat will put the unit back..leave the cookie to whatever side it stayed etc..done right  --mines two years and holding ..lots of loading and bumps..

i use the quick set mostly

an old sock and some gas help with drips and hands when its fresh
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:45:35 PM by trianglelaguna »
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Tinker

FWIW, I've never had to scrape goop off my kayak after removing a transducer, and I've done it a bunch of times.  I just wedge a very wide screwdriver under the lip a bit and pop it like an abalone.  It comes off the kayak cleanly.  You still need to deal with scraping it off the transducer, but that's an easier proposition.

-Allen

That's been my experience when removing a water bath puck.  Once I wedge a small opening, it comes off cleanly.

The trick with the GOOP is to let it tack up a little before applying, kind of like a contact adhesive. Most people just put it on and immediately push the transducer down causing the air bubbles.

No one has ever mentioned that before now.  Thank you!

mix about half of each --quickly-- put a cookie sized 1/4 thick putty knifed into inside -flat spot..wait till tacky-quick stuff--push transducer firmly until even spread out...put 2 sections of long duct tape in a cross pattern over the top to hold down for any shifting as it sets up...
jb can be peeled off..light chisel if needed later--if it pops free only a thin coat will put the unit back..leave the cookie to whatever side it stayed etc..done right  --mines two years and holding ..lots of loading and bumps..

i use the quick set mostly

an old sock and some gas help with drips and hands when its fresh

I'm surprised JB Weld can be removed cleanly since folks use it to repair spots on the hull.  Do you sand and prep the hull before applying it?

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
If you really want to get something to stick to polyethylene, heat treat the PE first by passing a propane torch quickly over the surface.

Here are some tests with various plastics using g-flex
http://epoxyworks.com/index.php/gluing-plastic-with-gflex-epoxy/
For PE, they get results that are 6x stronger by wiping with alcohol and heat treating, as compared to just sanding.

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Tinker

That's good to know.  Thanks!

Angler

• Team Bridgeport
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
A couple of things I learned the hard way in TD attachment.

If you goop/epoxy, be ABSOLUTELY sure to secure the TD in place while it sets up. It can lean over on you and not shoot straight down like you would like it to.

If you plan on winter fishing choose a cold weather rated adhesive or epoxy.  I have had my foam block setup pop off in the cold before.  In all fairness to the epoxy, I was kind of bouncing my kayak down a snow covered rocky slope. 

Good luck
Take some, but save some for later.
1st Place Yakhoppers 2013 Delta Kayak Maddness (Striper Division)
Hobie Outback
WS Tarpon 120

Tinker

I have had my foam block setup pop off in the cold before.  In all fairness to the epoxy, I was kind of bouncing my kayak down a snow covered rocky slope. 

Ha!

I'm not sure how I'll attach the transducer in the long run, but my plans changed on-the-fly when the crimped end of my new tube of GOOP split open while I was laying down a bead.  Got just what I deserved, I think.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... In all fairness to the epoxy, I was kind of bouncing my kayak down a snow covered rocky slope. 

Need a video of that!
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Something I didn't like about gooping the TD is that the TD is then dedicated to that kayak.
I like removing the entire assembly, TD, FF and battery after each and every trip.
<=>

PortageeYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Hi,

I used clear silicone to adhere my transducer to the inside of my Kayak. Silicone is thick in consistency and won't run. Apply a thick amount and be patient with setting and curing time. Left it alone for a day or so and it was perfectly secured. Went out and the FF was working wonderfully. I have a Lowrance Hook4x the image is clear and I was happy with the results of the install. My two cents.

Thanks,
PY
Where there is a Portagee there is fish!!!

Tinker

Thank you.  There's a thread on using GOOP v. silicone to mount transducers somewhere around here, and the general consensus is that because silicone is often temperature sensitive, it doesn't work well for a transducer mount.

Is there a specific kind of silicone you're using?

anything