Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:30:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 07:28:43 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Stinger rig -- storage and carrying?  (Read 6442 times)

BigRed

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
I've been using stinger rigs (treble hook behind a baitholder) and it's great.  Fish stick to 'em like glue, although the bottom gets hooked up pretty frequently.

Anyway, I also keep sticking them into my thumb and they get tangled pretty easily.  I'm wondering what ingenious mechanism you folks might have developed for keeping them safe and untangled before/after deployment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Joel M
Big Red Tandem
OK Malibu II XL

lingcodlonny

At most tackle shops and some sporting goods stores they have a tube that is about twelve inches long and has caps at the ends.Most of the ones I've seen or have are black and caps are torquoise.Along the tube their are nipples that you connect your individual leaders to and rap around untill your at the end and then stick the hook into the tube(there rubber).You can afix up to ten or twelve already tied leaders.Next go to you local market ,deli or convient store and ask them when they finish the Beef Jerky that comes in the plastic jars to save them for you and all your tied riggs , will fit right into the beef jerky container and now you close the top of the jar and all your riggs are safe from snagging and poking youself.The tubes also have a center area where I store wieghs rubber bands,and what ever tackle needs you have on the water.

Travis

I checked out Lonny's setup, it is awesome.^

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
There are these little clips that snap onto trebble hooks and render them safe/tanglefree.  I put them on some of the trebbles on stuff like rattle traps and then you can just put them in your pocket.  Should work great on stinger trebbles too.  I think I got them at sportmart, and they were dirt cheap, like 20/$1.

I use single hook stingers and they aren't bad about tangling.  Just a hook on a 2" piece of line with a noose at the end.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
what knot do you use for your stingers. i know some who use a sliding snell, i just tie a short piece of line to the eye of the first hook.
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING

• "May the Fish be with You"
  • View Profile
Sliding Snell

When I use a stinger set-up, I tie the main line to the stinger and the single hook up front w/ a sliding snell. That way you can adjust the length between the bait hook and the stinger. If the fish bites on the forward bait hook, it slides down to the treble, getting sandwhiched between both hooks. If the fish bites the stinger, you've got the strength of the main leader line supporting the fish and don't have to worry about the stinger pulling the eye open (on cheaper bait hooks).
~Elric

"May the Fish Be With You!"

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
You can also augment elrics suggestion with a carolina keeper so that it takes several pounds of force to make the hook slide up and down.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I've been wondering about that.

for the noobs like me: (I just used google to find these)

a sliding snell is this:

http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/knotsrigs/slidingsnell.html

a carolina keeper is this:

http://www.mytackle.net/carolina%20keepers.htm

lacking this knowledge, but wanting an adjustable stinger rig I
tied a snell to the single hook with a uni-snell. then I
tied a uni-knot above that hook, ran the line through the eye of
the hook and down to my stinger.  the uni knot can be moved up
and down the mainline to adjust the stinger length. not ideal, but
it worked in the sense that I ended up with fish on the line.
john m. airey

BigRed

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
My stinger rigs are now 20# or 30# "Vanish" fluorocarbon.

Attached up front is a "perfect loop" loop (surgeons loop, if tied while out on the kayak).

First hook (baitholder) is a Mustad #1.  Attached via sliding snell.

Second hook (treble) is a Mustad extra-strong #4.  Attached via Palomar.

I've discovered/invented a fine pool-noodle-based method of holding the stingers so I don't get stuck... and so that they float.  It involves cutting slices of pool noodle and nesting the treble inside the center hole while wrapping the extra line and baitholder around the outside.  I'll post photos later tonight of what this looks like.
Joel M
Big Red Tandem
OK Malibu II XL

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Joel, not to steal your thunder, but I read on this board how people store leaders like that. (maybe it was your post). put it into practice a few weeks ago to store my sabiki:

The container is a recycled gatorade container. fits into my tiny 8" hatch.

I don't think the method I have used is ideal so far tho. but it's not bad, just like my stinger tying efforts.

maybe should slice one side of the cylinder so one can put the treble in there (Is that what you do?).

also saw pipe insulation used with leaders lengthwise in the tube, hooks embedded in the ends.

My poor two boys, I cut ends off their pool noodles,  :smt009  :smt010  :smt011  :smt012, cause I can't stand going shopping for hardware and the like.

death before home depot for me. If it's not already in my garage, I usually do without.  and where were the pool noodles? yep, in the garage!

Since I cut the end of one son's pool noodle, I had to even out his brother's so I also did this (rod and reel floatation also seen on this board):

marine goop and cable ties. again, not ideal, but seems to work.

Joel, saw some reports of halibut north of santa cruz. Slim friday possibility for me.
john m. airey

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I carry a little first aide kit box, and just wrap the leaders up around two fingers until you hit the single swash, then wrang the stinger section around the rolled up line. Then bag individually in little tiny sealable plastic bags.

-Brian

anything