Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:49:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: MBK DERBY RESULTS 08.26.07  (Read 6426 times)

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
My GPS said I paddled 6.6 miles. That was only about 6.5 more than the winner. 
I headed straight down to the spot off the "quarry" past the hotel near Sand City where I'd seen Chef catch two flatties one day.  I drifted and slow trolled smallish live mackeral (both macs and jacksmelt were all over) for a couple of hours,  and I got a huge hit and sleigh ride that felt just like a big hali - tug, tug, tug - but got it up and it was a 4' fat shark that I let circle and run while I got radio tips on how to tell whether it was a thresher ( I had voted against any sharks as being eligible!) , it finally cut itself off and then I bottom trolled my way back with my floating Walleye Runner that almost always gets me a ling in that area.  Picked up some smallish rockfish that went back.
   I've never seen wind/wave conditions as good there.   It was good to see all the anglers out there - I was rooting for the guy in the inflatable kayak to win if I couldn't.   And those were quality hot dogs! Thanks to everyone who put this event on.

SandMan

• Salmon
  • Fishing the Bean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Allen, the MBK crew and Ocean Kayaks...great job for putting on an awesome event and turning off the wind and wave machines for FAC conditions.  I unfortunately didn't fish but brought my wife down to see the "madness" in action. 

Always a pleasure to meet the cast and characters of NCKA but special consideration should be extended to the "support" crew.  Case in point, Michelle, Alex's (Alien) girlfriend who waited patiently on the beach from launch until the motley crew landed. 

Landings were noneventful although Kim gave us a bit of fright as she got blind sided by a sleeper ankle slapper.  That "little" wave was pushed her yak enough to take out her legs but she came up laughing, so harm no foul.

Good to meet Willie (Starlifter) and Kiel (Reelknots), we'll have to meet up for a fishing trip in the future.  Pat (Seabreeze), my wife and I were pulling for you but she's glad that you were able to land a ling that competed for bragging rights.  It was also good for my wife to meet some of the characters (Mooch, FisHunter, ChuckE, Bill...) that I hang with on weekend trips.

The MBK shop looked like it was well run and had all the bells and whistles to serve the yakking community.  Good job by all derby contestants and it looked like everyone had a good time.

On the way home we stopped by the Gilroy Outlets to have her do what she does best.  So I racked up some major WAF points on this trip...see you folks at the next adventure. 

Gary
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
The pleasure was all mine RK....and i'll see you at BAMIII! right?
[/quote]

Yeah!!! I will see you there Bro...

Kiel
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
   Fishunter, I was the one next to you when you got hit hard and it took you into the kelp.

I forgot to ask on Sunday but was anyone giving out NCKA stickers?

Damn that thing! I thought i had the DRAG TIGHT ENOUGH to prevent that from happening.....lessons learned :smt012
....and you'll have to go to BAMIII for chance at them stickers! :smt002

Here are a few more pics from the day.....

pic1~ Bob lookin for structure and hopin for a FISH to be near it.
pic2&3~ if you even caught one around these things, it would be a battle, i imagine(d)  :smt009

pic4~ is dat you Rob?
pic5~ the line of furbags
pic6~ this guy has the right idea....noontime "power-nap"
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 10:14:24 AM by FisHunter »
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Rob

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Yeah thats me.    I am trying to convince my wife and 7 month old son to spend the weekend up there so I can fish with you all at BAMIII.  Need to build up some serious WAF points for that one.
Rob

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I wish I could make the BAMIII, just the wrong week for me with work peaking right around then....

meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the winner's circle pictures from our photographer.  Looking forward to doing it again next year and am open to suggestions on how we can make the MBK Drby even bettter!

Thanks again!

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Well this was my first time trying in the Monterey area. Always wanted to give that area a try. I scouted around the day before and found the bottom to be pretty devoide of any structure... :smt011 I usually like to find some kind of structure where fish can relate to and gather. There might be some out there, but I was unable to find it. Made it tough to find a spot to target. I made the decision to just focus on halibut, figured one decent one might do it. I fished along the coast and back and ended up with five undersized halibut. Biggest one went 20"es. There was quite a bit of bait in some areas, but still didn't mark many fish.  :smt017 Timed my paddle perfect to return about ten minutes before the close of the weigh in, but came back empty handed... The weather was great, and it was great to meet more of the NCKA clan. Finally met Guitarzan, enjoyed your playin Ben, and Ben 2, we really appreciated your guiding us around the town. Allen, I appreciate the work that goes into putting something like this on. I don't want to sound like a kill joy, but after talking to several other local guys at the BBQ they said there are many other much more productive areas to fish in the area. Maybe next time, consider letting people travel to other areas of choice, or start it at one of the other areas. Give a little more time, maybe return by 2pm to make it more interesting. Listening to the radio during the tourney, folks were just trying to get something to show up with... After the tourney, I took another day to check out the coast on the way home. I checked out the imfamous Bean Hollow, but the winds were kicking too much for an afternoon launch. Also checked out another beach south of there (forget the name D-something?) and ended up trying it the next morning for a bit. It looked ok from the beach, but after getting out there, the drift was real fast and the wind was starting to kick up and the fog was clearing fast. It just felt uncomfortable, so I decided to come on in. After, we continued up the coast to S.F. I checked out Crissy field for some possible halibut drifting. The wind was already howling. We stayed the night in the city and I hit it first thing before the winds kicked up. After trying to make bait, and coming up blank, I trolled a couple lures up and down a few passes for a big Zero... Lots of fishing and not much catching, but still a fun trip. Fun to check out the south lands for a change. Think I'm going to hit the northern homegrounds of Sonoma next time out.  :smt002

prowlingNorCal

• Kim
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
I just want to say it was GREAT meeting everyone!

I finally got to see who it is I talk to on the board. Alien - your GF saved me as I came in and promptly rolled at the landing  :smt044
Thank you to her!!!! Its okay, I'm kinda getting used to it!!

Someone suggested I change my name to FLIP - hahahhahhahahahhaha - very funny.

I look forward to going out there again with all of you. Bill, I want to "join everyone at your next "fishing lure decorating tupperware party"  :smt044  Fishhunter showed off some of the lures he made at one of your parties - very nice!

Thank you Allen for showing me how to fish from my kayak (I'll keep practicing) and thanks for putting this event together. $30 - the price was right and an hour from home - it really worked for me.

I wish I could join everyone at camp Mendo - I will be "camping" at Seacliff that weekend with friends, so I can't make it but look forward to the next time.

Thanks again,

Kim aka "FLIP" :)
Love it!

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I don't recall FishHunter having a party and making any lures, I do recall him begging for me to give him some though  :smt044 What was he smoking?!?!?! Ohhh wait nevermind  :smt005

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
sorry for took so long to "thank you" post.  I've been super busy...
& yes I would like to say thank you to Allen & MBK to pull off that yak tourney!  I know it's alota work..., so again "thank you"! :smt006
That was 1st time I fished in Monterey.  Fishing wasn't that hot, but the weather was awesome!!!  I went out on savage style & that was fine.  Can't do it here in Bodega too much...

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
Anyways, here is some pics might be kinda late but might be good tease for SC tourney...

Here is departure from the MBK.  We're passing right next to Allen's big boat!? :smt003

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
Here is InSeine rigging some stuff, but kinda bad pic cuz he looked like playing w/ himself (we all do this & actually look like this)... :smt044

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
OK. So I finally developed the film inside my disposable H2O proof camera. That thing was in my tackle box for months so I've got a bunch of random pics now. Here are some from the MBK Tourney.

There are a few shots of the double-ling hookup I had. It was exciting but I totally would've traded two 23.5 inch lings for one 30 incher!

MBK beach launch. Flat as a pond.

Double lings in the net. The top ling was hitchhiking on that poor little blue.

Ling 1

Ling 2
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:48:09 PM by Sin Coast »
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~