Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New to yaks  (Read 671 times)

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I live in the land of trout fishing here in the foothills but the rain this year has completely crippled my summer fly fishing so i decided to buy a Yak to allow for some better fishing opportunities and because it looks cool (and the wife says no bass boat.) After a great deal of back and forth, I settled on a Coosa fd due to really not knowing any better and liking the pedal drive as well as the protection of said drive and rudder. I am waiting via pre order so if anyone wants to sway me feel free. i am growing tired of waiting anyway! :smt003

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Welcome to the community.  :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
 welcome!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

FISH4BRAINS

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thanks! I'm looking forward to contributing and learning

greenthumbrian

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Have you tried the kayak in person yet?  I bought a new to me Hobie Revo from an NCKA member a month or two back and ABSOLUTELY love it.  I highly recommend trying them before you buy - especially new!

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome to NCKA AD  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Codzilla

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Welcome to NCKA AngleDangle !!!!
Jeff
3rd place Trinidad Rockfish Wars lll
6th place GS11

Camo Hobie Outback
 Old Town Predator 13

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Welcome to the group.  Sonora is a good place to be for a kayaker, especially with the free launch at the bridge for melones.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Welcome.

I'm a Hobie guy and wonder what you see as the pros and cons of the Coosa FD as compared to, say, a Hobie Outback. I'd be a little skeptical the style of rudder on the Coosa, but otherwise it looks good.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
As for the Coosa FD, its a brand new kayak with some good features.  We had a discussion on it in the Jackson subforum, and they're working out some of the kinks.  I'd wait to test drive a production model before ordering it sight unseen to make sure those issues were properly addressed and you like it before dropping the $2800 or whatever it is.

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
$2999 to be exact. To be honest this is a gift so I have zero skin in the game. I like that the prop kicks up and I don't have to be as mindful of grounding when I fish. I figure if I hate it I can give it to the wife or one of the kids. Hobies are nice but I don't like the mirage drive not being fully out of the way and I am planning to fish some rivers as well as shallow lakes with lots of debris so protecting the drive system or being able to get it completely up into the boat without having to lift the thing out and put it in the front storage is a huge plus. The other concern is the need to pull a cord that had to be redone due to breakage in order to go reverse. It was an obvious afterthought in the first place and that seems a bit odd to me with the amount of thought hobie puts into things. Regardless, I am also a bit concerned having read about the reverse resulting in the prop jumping back up into the boat as well. Luckily I am only in the hole $100 for a deposit and the closest dealer is in Sac so they know I am not coming down the day they call. Gives me time to see the initial thoughts and reviews of the finished product prior to signing off on the rest. I have combed over yak after yak and someone told me to just make a decision because the reality is that next year there will always be something newer and cooler and better so why stress and just get into something that catches your eye.  Now if someone here in Sonora what to get me out in some different kayaks I am all game but I don't have a lot of time to go searching for every model and the locations that have test sites which to my knowledge are Headwaters and Kayakcity in the Bay Area. Kayakcity already told me they will only get the jackson in there Sac store and will have no demo model as they are only getting 6 up front.  I guess somebody has to be the guinea pig.  :smt006

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
For your purposes, the FD seems like a good choice.  Hope it works out well!  I'm sure Jackson will stand behind it if there are problems.

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Hope you are right on that. I am really getting anxious as I want to get out on the water now that the kids are back in school. I am also eyeing the Big Tuna but it is a tough sell on the wife as we already have canoes  so every aspect I would use to justify the purchase results in her pointing to the canoe and saying that we already have that feature. Not sure why I married someone smarter than me some days.

greenthumbrian

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
If I had to guess, she is smarter and better looking too!  :smt044

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
If I had to guess, she is smarter and better looking too!  :smt044

Definitely better looking. Of course I have to say that as I am not into guys :smt003.