Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:06:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tips on Mokelumne & Sacramento River?  (Read 1112 times)

FreddyG

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2019
Hi,
New kayak fishing and need some advice on the waters near me! I'm going out for some Stripers.

I've done some research and found this website:
https://tides4fishing.com/us/california/terminous-south-fork
Which shows where I'll be launching. (From Lighthouse Marina and Resort). I plan on staying on the Mokelumne, and not venturing too far south towards San Joaquin

Assuming I'll be fishing Saturday, what times would be best to be on the water? Is it best to fish on incoming tides or outgoing? The winds seem very calm. I've heard the delta currents can get fast at times, but aren't much to worry about (any truth to this?) is there a way to predict how the current will be?

I'm also eyeing the Sac River south of the Rio Vista bridge, maybe after I get more experience.

I only have experience dealing with boats at Berryessa (who love to gun it). It seems like pointing the bow towards the wake was the best way to deal with it (correct?)

I know that's a bunch of questions, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can and be prepared when I go out!
Thanks guys

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Avoid both right now! High water flows and major debris in the water. Hit the lakes or port of sacramento. We went out on sac river in a boat last week and played frogger with trees! No fish...
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I only have experience dealing with boats at Berryessa (who love to gun it). It seems like pointing the bow towards the wake was the best way to deal with it (correct?)

Bow or stern works.  I have fished Folsom lake by rattlesnake bar and with some of the high cliffs it can be quite the ride when a big wake is hitting you from the back and front.
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

FreddyG

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2019
Avoid both right now! High water flows and major debris in the water. Hit the lakes or port of sacramento. We went out on sac river in a boat last week and played frogger with trees! No fish...

Thanks I'll definitely have to call an audible by the sounds of it. Port of Sac seems awesome for Stripers. Found a thread with alot of info.

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Was on a different part of the Mokelumne Friday - above the new hope bridge.  Launched from wimpys.  The current with the wind was a bitch. As was some of the boat traffic.  I was shocked at the number of boats launching there to chase salmon. Almost all went downstream of the bridge... except for two seals- they came up my way and managed to scare the crap out of me. Just wasn’t the kind of water where you’d expect a giant splash behind the yak.

Caught a dozen small bass.  It was hard to get positioned and get anything to fish right. I only caught fish when I found soft spots in the current near the edges - and got senkos under the trees. (Also caught 2 small fish on a dropshot) Lost a lot of tackle getting snagged because I had to cast and then fight wind and current.   Every time I retied -  I ended up 50 yards down stream! It was exercise and a learning experience.

Lots of ospreys which surprised me. They were absolutely beautiful to watch. I’m going to try Folsom on a Tuesday because it looks like that might be the best place to avoid the wind!  We’ll see!  I’ve never fished there but I’ll give it a go.

It sure feels like we have a lot of wind for this time of the fall. I would of expected it to die off a bit by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk