Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:19:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: kayak halibut on lures  (Read 3605 times)

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • put the lotion in the basket
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I know most folks prefer live bait -then dead bait- then hoochy --not a real lure  :smt044 and ive seen a few old posts here with lime or such, swimbaits..
I take various things out with me on trips -but in general I only use frozen squid - and wont toss lures while I'm doing Butt work...once i've mine swept an area few times or pre leaving i'll chuck irons and anything that looks like stuff ive seen otw.....no takes....

I'm talking our coast- our catches- non shore- lure intel and stories...I'll wait to chime in then show the tutorial I've read re- read read again to no avail
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I caught halibut using the bounce ball method but instead of anchovy/herring, I used a jerk bait. I also uses a drop shot method using a swimbait or mullet bait fan casting. When I run out of bait, I switch to a luckycraft jerkbait

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
were you in usually in shallow or deep water for the lure bite?- I'm only able to replicate my method of butt catching in deeper water with bait  :smt011
I know folks do very well here in 30'-10'-5' fow
.....im thinking maybe your talking upper bay which im learning is shallow

a guy here showed me a nice pic of a 25 lb he got in 30' fow  here on 5" red 831 ringshank swimbait -casting from a power boat then letting it hit and reel -hit and reel...1000 casts later im back to squid..lol

http://www.swimbait.com/techniques/halibut.htm
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

― Kurt Vonnegut

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Ya pretty shallow in the bay. from 6-35 feet. Have to try the jerkbait in the ocean but afraid of the losing the setup

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Anything from a 5-7" paddle tail swimbaits, large buck tails with plastic trailers, large Kastmasters and Crocodile spoons, to Rapala-style jerkbaits or jointed deep divers will work. Seems like if it catches stripers, it'll catch a halibut, too. Makes sense since they feed on similar prey.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
the area I fish - I would think a 1lb weight and a 36" leader to a big jointed minnow with strong sharp small hooks and some scent...but I've done this over enough bottom to not want to waste the day again

― Kurt Vonnegut

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Im going to break out the 2.29 p-line shrimpfly with a 4 oz banana weight tomorrow .....I bet a tiny castmaster or diamond jig is just too light to hang into a jaw..hence the sharp circle hook slider rigs with heavy mono im landing on...quick bites on boney jaws dont count on small hooks if they get off

― Kurt Vonnegut

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Im going to break out the 2.29 p-line shrimpfly with a 4 oz banana weight tomorrow .

Good luck tomorrow. Might see ya out their. ?.?.
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I fish 50/50 with red tray herring and big hammer swimbaits. Last year the swimbait outfished the herring by far. I'm usually throwing a 5 inch pearl white big hammer with a 1.5 to 2 oz chartreuse head and just slow retrieve along the bottom. Usually in 10 to 20 fow
2018 Hobie outback camo
Equinox angler 12 ft
Yes I am a plumber (Hardy's plumbing)
Nic G's catch tackle pro staff

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I’ve caught a few on rattletraps when the bait bite is slow.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Most halibut I catch are on swimbaits.

I like Big Hammer ones in white/pearl, sexy sardine, phantom, and margarita.

Basically anything white and green/chartreuse.

Depending on depth I use 3/4oz - 2oz lead heads. 

In shallow bay water like ARW and Oyster Point I use 1.5oz head and slow troll bouncing the bottom, cast and retrieve, or even just slowly drifting and jigging up and down when I’m lazy. Surprisingly a lot of catches are the latter.

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I'm only jigging swimbaits now.
Wizard taught me- well really schooled me when I was live baiting and he was jigging a limit. Since then I've put in days figuring it out.
Last trip didn't bring any bait and didn't need it. Limited in a couple hours

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
thanks for the replies - im sure i'm just not on the curve with lures yet...ling rockfish easy easy and tons of dif presentations are in my bag butt-butt-butt---never even a random flat bite in all my ling days

I had a sledgehammer calico just hanging off the bottom like 10-12' ,while I drifted in 50' tying my linecounter slider rig up in my lap...got my squid all hooked and dropped it on  slow down and started reeling the hammer up to put it away for a while--- right on top of the 39" one this year it must have dropped-because I was on before it came to a rest...al this right under where that calico had been swimming twitching 12' off the bottom...makes me wonder if the flatty moved over or along with me as i was tying

― Kurt Vonnegut

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
This thread is great! This is my first season targeting halibut. I’ve only used the bounce ball method, trolling anchovies or herring, and feel like I’ve been fairly successful. But, I’m always on the move for fear of the line entangling on itself. Drifting/jigging w a swimbait seems straightforward and seems to allow for moving with the tide. The simplicity of the setup is appealing.

For those that primarily use swimbaits and drift/jig, do you choose this over trolling/bounce balling and if so, why?

Thanks!
IG: @sakana_seeker

chriszf

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
@bdon, have you ever watched John Skinner's videos on catching Atlantic fluke? He rapidly jigs a bucktail on a slow drift and seems to have no trouble limiting out. I'm starting to suspect the same technique works for halibut. I went out today to ARW and tried it out but it was my first time solo and I spent more time fighting my kayak and my mushy rod so I don't think I gave it a fair shake.

anything