Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:16:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:14:58 AM]

[Today at 09:51:22 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Honest opinions about the sport of kayak fishing  (Read 3891 times)

A-Rod

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
As I mentioned in my 'Intro Post,' I'm seriously looking at getting a new fishing kayak. I've never fished from a kayak before, but watching all those YouTube videos of catching big lingcods, rock fish, salmon, and stripers is strongly enticing me to drop some $$$ into a quality pedal Yak.

I do plan on trying it out first (rental somewhere), but before I pull the trigger for my own yak, I'm hoping some of you could share your opinions about the sport. Good and bad, what can I expect? What do you like, what do you hate? Any regrets? Thanks all :)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
It's been great.

I've met some of my best friends through this hobby, and only a half dozen mortal enemies.

Just watch the safety parts, don't fall into too much of the facebook and instagram bullshit, and you'll have fun.

-bmb

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
It's tough to get up early often, cleaning and processing fish is messy and no fun yet the cooking and sharing and eating is excellent, I hate getting seasick.  Losing fish is a pure slam with almost eternal mental consequences, but landing a good fish is super rewarding.  I love seeing and feeling that rod load up and stick and peel line and gain ground and hang on... more line out until death do us part or join... :smt005 Certainly meeting people and building relationships is a high point.  Always figuring out the fish puzzle from species and technique, to location, launch, and landing is a great challenge and always being improved upon including my own kayak system.  There's probably deeper stuff but that's a start.  My latest enjoyment is knowing where to fish for what species at what time of the year.  It becomes a cycle or routine as the seasons of life go by.... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I'm guessing that you have gone fishing before, just not from a kayak. If that is true then you know the joy of fishing already. Fishing from a kayak offers a less expensive way to access so much more than you can from shore. It offers the chance to customize your fishing system and spend way more money. Many people call it an addiction. If you are not sure it is for you, consider starting with a used less expensive kayak. If you enjoy kayak fishing you can replace it when you know more about what you like and don't like in a kayak. You can even keep the old one as a loaner kayak for friends and family. I can't think of anything bad. It is different than shore fishing, boat fishing, charter fishing etc. Everything had pluses and minuses but I like kayak fishing the best.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Pretty wide open question.

Learn how the use th search function here and go through the archives. There’s so much good info here on launch sites and technique.

Get the best used kayak you can afford. For you being new to kayaking and being primarily a fisherman first I’d look at a pedal drive like the Hobie outback.

Take safety very,  very seriously. The ocean doesn’t give a shit about you one way or the other and you need to be prepared for all contingencies. Again the archives will help.

I come off as pretty aggressive and dickish but bmb is a bigger dick than I am so at least I have that going for me.

Ultimately kayak fishing is like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. You can be competitive, you can just hang out and be social, you can take up spearfishing and freediving, you can travel, it’s all up to you to make your experience your own and what effort you want to put into it.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Or what spiffy said. Especially cliques.  We should have patches made.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
While there are a lot of youtube videos making it look like it's catching trophy fish left and right, what they don't show you are all the failed trips getting to that point and all the work it takes to get there.  There can be quite a bit of setup involved and it's easy to forgot something as simple as oh i left my bait in the freezer, or shoot i thought my battery was charged but it's dead.  It's endless hours of learning about gear, tackle, ocean conditions etc just to get started.

The setup, transportation, and cleanup (think sand and salt) is definitely the worst part of it.  Waking up early blows.  Seasickness sucks.  These things depends on the individual of course.

Only thing I regret so far was buying an Outback instead of a Revo at first =P

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
like any other "thing" there`s hardcore kayak-angling jerks, hardcore  kayak-angling  nice guys, casual slayers and  cliques , the competitive types ,non competitive types , over the top going to get a divorce cause they fish too much and ignore their family types.there`s  the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads  they all get a kick out of it. , they think it`s a righteous challenge

what I hate  : bmb and getting a hook embedded in my hand ,but I cant decide which is worse

what  like : DirtyDave ,Eddy,Rockfish,Bushy,3$J,polepole,Raydon,Ravensblack,LoletaEric,rockroach,Chad,Cabeza,Craig ,TW ,Alex-Bulldog  ,rider,Hojo,SHULAND,Vwool,Big Jim,FishMaster , Sin Coast,NoSoupforU,Ariel,Shifra,Yakhopper,Fisherman X,RockHopper,Fishshadow,Napajustin,Louis ,Josh,ChuckE,Yoda,Crash (even though he likes turtles), Traildad,Scottymeboy,Nick,Annie,Kiel,Tommy,Jingle,Happy Hooker ,H1,Jeff,Rob ,Steve,R bark, Pablo, Darius,Don,texas boy ,Alain and thats just the off the top of my head..oh and yeah even Bmb ( dont tell him) 

Counter point-

Ferris bueller was a sociopath.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
like any other "thing" there`s hardcore kayak-angling jerks, hardcore  kayak-angling  nice guys, casual slayers and  cliques , the competitive types ,non competitive types , over the top going to get a divorce cause they fish too much and ignore their family types.there`s  the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads  they all get a kick out of it. , they think it`s a righteous challenge

what I hate  : bmb and getting a hook embedded in my hand ,but I cant decide which is worse

what  like : DirtyDave ,Eddy,Rockfish,Bushy,3$J,polepole,Raydon,Ravensblack,LoletaEric,rockroach,Chad,Cabeza,Craig ,TW ,Alex-Bulldog  ,rider,Hojo,SHULAND,Vwool,Big Jim,FishMaster , Sin Coast,NoSoupforU,Ariel,Shifra,Yakhopper,Fisherman X,RockHopper,Fishshadow,Napajustin,Louis ,Josh,ChuckE,Yoda,Crash (even though he likes turtles), Traildad,Scottymeboy,Nick,Annie,Kiel,Tommy,Jingle,Happy Hooker ,H1,Jeff,Rob ,Steve,R bark, Pablo, Darius,Don,texas boy ,Alain and thats just the off the top of my head..oh and yeah even Bmb ( dont tell him)
Atta Spiff'...gotta get a Hali...it's comin'...fished for Salmon in Benicia today early and got skunked... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Mostly I catch small fish and have a great time.

the good - the people, fishing places that are otherwise impossible to get to, catching a ton of fish

the bad - gas money becomes a real thing

the indifferent - some people do get competitive and then get bent out of shape, its the same everywhere. You'll want one kayak, then two kayaks, then 3, then more? hows this different than any other hobby?
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
It's a lot of work...loading the car up, unloading when you get to the water, then loading it up to go home. THEN after finally getting home you unload and clean everything.

It's worse when you skunk a few times and have to convince yourself to do it all over again.

Where as if I wanted to just fish from shore I could grab my rod and small bag and be on my way. 

The fish quality is much higher from a kayak vs from shore.

I only regret buying a paddle kayak first, as I should have just bought a peddle one upfront.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Pep talk eh? Lol 😂
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

reelfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
For me being an older gent. The start of the day is ok loading up things, the fishing and friends is absolutely wonderful when you find that other friend to hang with. The end of the day after all is done is tough. After a long strenuous paddle catching fish cleaning fish and your yak thats the part I don't care much for. Thats where the work comes in. But It is worth it.

Good Luck

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I'll second that it is a ton of work. Loading gear, prepping the boat, launching, then landing, rinsing everything, and packing it away for the next time.

But I just love it. Been at it since 1997 and have never tired of it. The ability to launch a watercraft where hardly any other boats fish is something I have always enjoyed. Plus, there's nothing like a good, sporty surf launch and landing! :smt005

I was used to fishing solo, so for me the community of NCKA was just a massive bonus.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Pep talk eh? Lol 😂

or maybe trying to convince his GF/ wife to let him spend $$$$  :smt044
I’ll save you the drama, get a trident 13, get a FF with GPS, get a trevala , life jacket n farmer John, vhf radio... suggest 2nd hand unless you’re rich.  Work your way up from blue gills >crappies > bass>striped bass> halibut>ling cod/rockfish>Salmon>sturgeon.... make friends . Be cool. Don’t be a dick! Learn to tie knots palomar, San Diego jam knot, gt blood knot for braid to mono... be safe not sorry
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:10:23 PM by SlackedTide »
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.