Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:42:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie vs. Paddle for fly fishing?  (Read 16215 times)

novofish

• Wear your PFD - every time OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I'll get a hobie eventually, but for now the mini fleet consists of a SIK WS Manteo, my first yak; OK Scrambler, first SOT; and a OK Scupper Pro TW, bought used off CL.

I've noticed that while fly fishing there's quite a bit of line to mess with as you cast and strip, I just don't know if the hobie pedals, bells and whistles would be clean enough to avoid disaster when Mr. 20lber hits slams your fly and tries to yank 10 yards of fly line off your deck in 2 seconds!

I'm trying to keep it simple to avoid snarls and tangles that happen now and then with the fly game.

That said, if you are trolling a fly, or slowly cruising and casting a floating line for topwater trout or bass there's probably not a better human powered yak than a Hobie (imho). Not to mention if you see some topwater action you want to get to in a hurry, the hobie is dang FAST. After moving to Davis for school AND the bike scene a couple decades ago I knew the Hobie was going to be a good match for me.

In closing, I guess I'm saving my pennies and WAF to add a Revo :smt007 to the fleet!
AOTY 2011 - 9th
AOTY 2012 - 16th
AOTY 2013 - 6th
FAOTY 2014 - 4th
AOTY 2015 - 5th
AOTY 2016 - 56th
AOTY 2017 - 37th

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
if you get a hobie try to strip into the water or into a basket.  you dont want all that fly line at your feet as it might tangle in the pedal assembly. i would say the hobie would be better for positioning but if you like to cast side straddle then it won't be a significant improvement over a paddle kayak.

novofish

• Wear your PFD - every time OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Thanks bmb! That's what I'm doing now - into the water. Saw some posts a while back where someone made a plastic lap mat with zip tie "hairs" for line control.

Fly rodding is definitely more of a 2 hands type of angling.

Never tried side saddle casting but maybe I'll try it next time.
AOTY 2011 - 9th
AOTY 2012 - 16th
AOTY 2013 - 6th
FAOTY 2014 - 4th
AOTY 2015 - 5th
AOTY 2016 - 56th
AOTY 2017 - 37th

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I made a mesh apron that goes over the mid section to elliminate the line catching things like the steering knob, tiedown for the drive and my compass. Kinda works like a stripping basket. If I strip into my lap I'm pretty good to go. Not too hard to keep it back from the drive pedals. I also installed a second anchor off the front to eliminate swinging for when I'm fishing a lake for trout and want a controled retrieve.

Flying Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
The hobie rev works great.  Now if I can only find reverse :smt006

Goz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
Wow, I think this was my first post. Two years later= many new friends, events, good times. Not to mention the experience of kayak fishing. Thanks NCKA!
So I finally got my Hobie Revo, and have only had it out once so far, but it works beautifully for fly fishing. Hands free, and the ability to reverse the drive for sloooow trolling and feeling absolutely anything that touches the fly.
I'm also going to make some sort of stripping apron like Jonesz and BMB suggested.
Jim
Formally "jimgosc"

1st Estero Kayak Challenge Champion
3rd place MBK Derby 2009
3rd place Kayak Connection Tourney 2013

Kayak Connection Fishing Team member

Let's go fishin', and don't look back, cuz you'll never see a hearse with a kayak rack!

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
So how's the Hobie working out for you? I have to wonder, because I've found that if there was even the remotest of possibilities of my fly line snagging on something, it eventually would. And usually when there was a good fish on.

Goz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
I've still only had it out flyfishing once so far. Spending most of my time in the salt lately. Planning a trout trip in a couple of weeks, but I'm not forseeing any problems. Line management is what I'll be aiming for, and probably won't be attempting any 80' casts.
Jim
Formally "jimgosc"

1st Estero Kayak Challenge Champion
3rd place MBK Derby 2009
3rd place Kayak Connection Tourney 2013

Kayak Connection Fishing Team member

Let's go fishin', and don't look back, cuz you'll never see a hearse with a kayak rack!

[WR]

• Salmon
  • VFW Life Member at Large since 1997
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
Key issue when waving the bug wand from a yak is line management. Zee and several others have a really nice stripping basket made from a tupperware style container, some zip ties, and a bungee cord. works great. doubles as gear storage on the way to and from your fishing, too.

Hobies are nice for speed and trolling.  mirage drive sticking up, just gets in the way. for this, you want an uncluttered deck, and you;re not in a hurry.

get used to roll casting sitting down. takes a whole new skill set to do so.  if you insist on standing to cast, i'd suggest getting a Yak/Sup hybrid like the Diablo Adios or Chupacabra. wide, uncluttered, and designed so even us fat boys with bad balance can stand and cast or sight fish.

think i missed it. you intend to go salt or fresh?

damn, just realized this post is two years old and you've already made your decision.  ce leguerre

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:22:48 PM by [WR] »
Why so many typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs...

elongatus

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
Wow, I think this was my first post. Two years later= many new friends, events, good times. Not to mention the experience of kayak fishing. Thanks NCKA!
So I finally got my Hobie Revo, and have only had it out once so far, but it works beautifully for fly fishing. Hands free, and the ability to reverse the drive for sloooow trolling and feeling absolutely anything that touches the fly.
I'm also going to make some sort of stripping apron like Jonesz and BMB suggested.
Jim

Congratulations on the hobie, nice choice. 

fishforit

• Salmon
  • Life"s short! Go for it!
  • View Profile Freelance Writer/Retired/Tutor
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
I've been flyfishing from my kayak for 5 years a Liguid Logic Manta 12. Paddling can be frustrating at times when your trolling a fly. When I move from s spot which is an area with fish showing i troll a fly with an intermediate line. I've gotten better with the hook-up but I hook probably 60% of the strikes. I look for fish and either drift or anchor in the area where I saw fish. If and when i change yaks I will probably go with a Hobie.
Headwaters Adventure Co.
Hobie Fishing Team
Hobie Outback