Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:45:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Prowler 13 vs. 15  (Read 6670 times)

Dawson308

I am doing research for my first kayak.  I have narrowed it down to the OK prowler, but I am not sure if I should go with the 15 or 13.  I am 180 lbs and 6' tall.  I dont plan on venturing very far from shore.  I might be launching by myself a lot.  I plan on fishing the coast from bodega bay to fort bragg.  Im sure the 13 will have enough storage space, but im not sure about performance.  Any input would be great! Does anyone know where I could test drive one of these in Nor-Cal?

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=418607442&f=9076050875

That should help a little.  I'm by no means an authority on kayaks, I have the 15, alot of guys here do, and I like it alot.  The cons: its a big boat to store, it can be a pain to turn around on the water, it doesn't have the channeled footwells like the 13 and the few times I have had to surf it in I flipped ( that can probably be attributed to bigger surf and less than stellar surf skills though) Other than that its great; stable, fast, and handles very well in sloppy water.   Also, I wouldn't rule out any longer distance fishing just yet.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Everything that Art says is true. I have a 15' and would not trade it for anything. Even for short paddles the speed of the 15' is much appreciated. I have not paddled a 13' but I am guessing it is not as fast as the 15'. The channels in the 13 are nice though...

If budget is a concern you can hunt around for a used one. I picked up mine used for $500.

If you can try to paddle them both in both good and marginal conditions that should help out.

Don't think you will be fishing alone, there are a lot of kayak anglers up north.

Dawson308

Thanks a lot for the info guys.  Its good to know there are a lot of kayak anglers up north.  Maybee when I get my kayak I can hook up with some other ppl around here.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Might be able to find an OK drifter in a sportmart up there. I see them in the ones here.  Don't know what they're charging for em though.  They're like a heavy duty prowler 13'.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I have a Hobie outback 12 1/2 ft and a  Cobra tourer 15 ft.  I know they are not as nice as the OK Prowler.  I had test drove a few 15 ft Prowlers.

I would go long.  15 ft is better in the waves and will take on bigger waves.  I can take both of mine in the surf.  But, I like the tourer in heavy seas.  Except for the fact the hatches leak.

You can test drive them at a store demo days.  They are usually run durning the summer months.

Ken

Loomy

Dawson308- There's a store in Santa Rosa- Windtoys that has a test drive for any and all models they sell at a local lake every wens.  You need to call ahead and reserve the model you want and if they stock it you can probably test it out.  Be sure to bring the same pfd and suit you'd wear so that the seat and cockpit feels correct, then try and roll it!! remount, sit side saddle, etc.  Also practice moving forward to access the front hatch.  These are all things that you'll need to do on your boat.

Good luck:smt023 , and welcome to the greatest new sport going!

ps- I have a OK Prowler 15 now and I love it.  It's not as tippy as I expected.  I had a drifter and it was very stable but no glide at all! :thumbdown.  I think with time you get you'll get accustomed anything so go for the speed and storage you'll need down the road.

Ken

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Welcome Dawson.  I agree with everyone's advice so far.  I also own a Prowler 15, but I have demo'd a 13.  The 13 has some cool new features, but it still paddles like a shorter boat.... meaning it'll be a little slower and not track as well as the 15.  However, on the plus side, the 13 will turn better, be easier to transport and store away.

The best advice is to find the boat that suits you and your fishing needs best.  Find a paddle shop (like Kayak Connection in Santa Cruz) that will let you test paddle both (including other makes & models) so you can compare.  The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either Prowler.
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

Loomy

Hey Chuck! You really need to get a full time job dude,  I'm mean sneaking out on a tues to go fishing!  :smt007  Got to love that!!!  Glad to hear you went back and got into something productive...did you get any GPS #'s? for us :smt003

I've been down all weekend and took today off too (nasty cold)so I'm not liking my chances for this weekend.  

Keep us posted though! Best of luck :smt023

Ken

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Loomy, I'm not liking my chances of fishing this weekend either.  I started coming down with a cold too.   My wife and her family have been passing it around and it finally got me.  I just called in sick for the first time.  I need the rest from too much fishin' :smt080
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

Dawson308

Would the 15 be better for launching from the surf?

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yes, a longer Yak will keep your bow into the waves.  Paddle like H*ll and go for it.  Once, sideways and it will be hard to recover in any Yak.

I would be more careful coming in.  That is usually when you wipe out.  Remember to tie down or store any thing you do not want to lose.  That includes sunglasses, hats, or glasses.

Ken

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Dawson - welcome to the board!

I've owned and used 4 different kayaks in the past and paddled a lot of demos. The P15 is definitely my favorite. I've paddled it through some rough surf and have covered some distances as well (Lakes & Ocean).

I dont plan on venturing very far from shore.

I used to think that way - but when you find yourself hooking up with a great group of guys from this board = you will end up paddling for miles and miles just to get to that magical fishing hole.......TRUST ME ON THIS  :smt002

By the way - get a bright colored kayak (yellow / orange) You'll be more visible to the boaters and to your fellow kayakers (safety issue) And also, learn how to paddle correctly before you develop bad paddling habits  :smt018

just my 2 cents....

anything